Windows 7 SP1 Leaks on Torrents; is Version 7601

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
I can't wait for an official list of the SP1 improvements that are not available through individual updates. Not that Windows 7 RTM is bad at all. I wonder what big changes there will be besides maybe USB 3.0 support and a few others.

Looking good so far. Hope they introduce something useful for the general consumer too.

[citation][nom]danimal_the_animal[/nom]I see you have an i7 920 overclocked to 4.21GHZ[/citation]

/off topic/
Its not Tom's, it's GeekSmack's.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
Honestly I can't think of anything I want fixed with a service pack, thats a testament to the Win7 team. So what is this update packing, anyways?

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
I'm with Bolbi, I'm interested in the non roll-up updates that will be included.

Equally important, downloading this is akin to downloading the Catalyst 10.5 alpha. It doesn't really make sense to me. (People report that video acceleration is causing BSODs or Lock-ups, although apparently it improves gaming.)

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
drastically faster than the install process for any of the Service Packs for Windows Vista
Well. considering that it doesn't include much of anything that isn't already on Windows Update now, that's not really surprising at all.

randomizer

Champion
I'm glad it's faster than the Vista service packs. They took longer to install than the initial installation of Vista itself. But as ravewulf said, this is just a cumulative update of everything you already have.

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
[citation][nom]bison88[/nom]Awesome! Hopefully RTM hits before summer so I can upgrade my machine from Vista.[/citation]

If you're one of those guys who just waits for the first service pack it sounds like there's nothing to see here. In which case I think you need to either go for it now and just run the usual updates (which is apparently mostly all this is) or wait till SP2 if it's more major.

G

Windows 7 SP1 is mostly a trigger for companies to stop using XP and move to Windows 7. MS has some won't be letting IT shops downgrade their boxes to XP after W7 SP1.

So that fact that is small is due to the lack of updates since 7 came out.
They really don't need a SP at all except to force companies to start using 7.

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
Now, what I want to know is why my Windows 7 says Service Pack 3? Just noticed it the other day. Where their copy says Service Pack 1, mine says 3... And I haven't done anything illegal. Wth?

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Kelavarus[/nom]Now, what I want to know is why my Windows 7 says Service Pack 3? Just noticed it the other day. Where their copy says Service Pack 1, mine says 3... And I haven't done anything illegal. Wth?[/citation]

Ah, wait, never mind, apparently it's a bug from upgrading from Windows Vista SP2. Interesting.

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Kelavarus[/nom]Ah, wait, never mind, apparently it's a bug from upgrading from Windows Vista SP2. Interesting.[/citation]

That's a very interesting sounding bug. Course, I've never done an upgrade like that though.

insider3

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
Kudos to MS. Great OS, I don't see the need for an SP anytime soon, but it won't hurt I guess. I wonder what new additions this SP is going to offer on an already stable OS.

zaixionito

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
I still think installing a unofficial service pack is off the point.

I mean, really, are you going to trust some random person who could have put badware on your system?

gnesterenko

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
[citation][nom]Zaixionito[/nom]I still think installing a unofficial service pack is off the point.I mean, really, are you going to trust some random person who could have put badware on your system?[/citation]

Agreed. Easy way to get root-kits in your system. Unless its a cloneDVD copy, and well rated by other users, I wouldn't touch it. That said, up until last week I was stil using the RC, which was rock stable in and of itself. No change with upgrade to RTM. Don't really see a need for the SP1. Unless, of course, they bring back the Vista DreamScapes that were available in the Ultimate version (you know, the cool background that moves - not really movies, but say, showing the earth slowly rotation on its orbit). I know its just frills and eye candy, but since everything else about 7 is rock solid, might as well get some eye candy.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]jimmysmitty[/nom]My hope is it adds naitive Blu-Ray support so I can use WMC instead of PowerDVD......[/citation]
It would be nice, but I doubt it. They said this is just a round up of all the updates available through Windows Update.

G

This will force the installation of KB971033, which will install WGA type monitoring software which continually calls home for updates, all to make sure you haven't done anything naughty, such as installing a scrub bootloader or other related activation hacks.

Bye bye, BIE...:)

Status
Not open for further replies.