Windows 7 Startup and Performance Issue

Palador

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2014
Good day to you all.
I have been having a strange problem with my computer.
Last night, when I was playing World of Tanks, the screen suddenly turned to a sort of pinkish colour and I heard a sort of humming/droning sound in my headphones.
I turned the computer off by long holding the power button. When I restarted, it would get to the Windows loading screen, but then stay black after that with the USB and mouse not responding either.
It started in safe mode just fine, but even when I did a diagnostic startup, it still didn't boot normally.
I ran a quick checkdisk of C and returned with no problems.
I removed my HDD and CD drive, just leaving in the SSD that Windows and my programmes are installed on and this time it got into Windows, but gave me a black screen a few seconds later with no response from the keyboard or mouse.
I tried System Restore, but it had the same issue.
Later on I ran a checkdisk with both options ticked, again no issues showed up, but then it suddenly logged into Windows without problem.
Restarting, it again loaded fine (mind you, it takes a good deal longer to startup than it should on an SSD and I am left looking at the "Welcome" screen--and the one before it, but I forget what it says--with the blue circle spinning around for a few seconds before Windows actually boots up).
I shut down and tried plugging in my HDD and CD drive in again, this time it got into Windows but again shut down after a few seconds. Unplugging them enabled me to start up again.
I haven't installed any new hardware recently, though I only built the system itself 1 and a half months ago or so. I had just installed ASUS's GPU Tweak 2 a few days before the problem because the old version wasn't working, but I doubt that's the issue because even restoring my system to the time before I installed it didn't help any.
I'm not opposed to reinstalling Windows, as anything of importance is on the HDD, but obviously it's not my favoured solution.

System Details:
Windows 7 Ultimate
Ryzen 1200 (Stock Cooler)
MSI PC Mate B350
RAM: 4 x 2 GB Patriot (I'm pretty sure it's 2400)
Radeon HD 7770 2 GB
XFX TS 550W (Bronze)
PNY 120 GB

Not sure if there's anything else of significance.
I have not done any overclocking.
Any advice or help would be appreciated.

hussainali88

Reputable
Feb 19, 2015
It seems your graphics card is the culprit.

I remember I had a similar issue few years back and I found it's the GPU. I replaced it and it worked.

Find another graphics card and try booting windows.

Palador

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2014
Interesting, idea. I thought that too, but I don't see why it would cause the system to boot slowly, which is the main issue now.

Update: I tried starting with the CD drive plugged in and it booted fine. Then I restarted and tried with the HDD and now it boots fine in general, it's just slow to boot.
I see the "Please Wait" screen for like 5 seconds, but then the "Welcome" screen boots quickly into Windows.
I launched some bigger applications (video and audio editing software) and they opened fine. I played some videos, no issue. I opened FIFA, it also got in just fine. Didn't play a match though.

Maybe I should run the sfc /scannow command?

Update (30/07/18): Well, as it turns out, it is the graphics card. I played World of Tanks fine yesterday, but today when I played it had the same issue. The motherboard LED light indicates its the graphics card. One time when I rebooted everything worked fine, but the screen remained black. Interestingly enough, afterwards I was able to boot the computer again and even play World of Tanks without issue. I did lower the settings so as not to put stress on the graphics card, though.
From what I noticed, the graphics card seems to be running quite hot. What temperatures are considered too hot?