News Windows 7 Support Ends Today

s997863

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
"The company will no longer issue security updates,". I've got genuine Win7 on a 9-year-old laptop, and auto-updates have been off forever. This sounds like a blessing for anyone hating the forced updates that come with Win10.
"Those who don't update may be vulnerable to security flaws, and bugs won't be fixed.". I'm seeing more bugs on my office PC (win10, by corporate policy) than on my old laptop, and my IT-help guys are pretty helpless.
"Technical assistance won't be available". This is just rich. The only time I visit a Microsoft website is to see unresolved questions, with robotic polite non-answers, frustrated posters, before going off to some non-MS site for a real human answer.

Like others said, no reason to update yet. The only things that forced me to upgrade from XP were lack of new browsers and SSD support, not the newest direct-x, nor even the 3gb ram limit. Security? XP can run Zone-Alarm, the old free version which nothing tops.

Reactions: bit_user
"The company will no longer issue security updates,". I've got genuine Win7 on a 9-year-old laptop, and auto-updates have been off forever. This sounds like a blessing for anyone hating the forced updates that come with Win10.
"Those who don't update may be vulnerable to security flaws, and bugs won't be fixed.". I'm seeing more bugs on my office PC (win10, by corporate policy) than on my old laptop, and my IT-help guys are pretty helpless.
"Technical assistance won't be available". This is just rich. The only time I visit a Microsoft website is to see unresolved questions, with robotic polite non-answers, frustrated posters, before going off to some non-MS site for a real human answer.

Like others said, no reason to update yet. The only things that forced me to upgrade from XP were lack of new browsers and SSD support, not the newest direct-x, nor even the 3gb ram limit. Security? XP can run Zone-Alarm, the old free version which nothing tops.

Then I will say that your IT guys are useless. Windows 10 is the most stable OS I have ever worked with an experienced with since Windows 3.1. The network at my office is totally stable and have been for years. No one is complaining either.

Wu-Zi-Mu

Honorable
Feb 20, 2016
Then I will say that your IT guys are useless. Windows 10 is the most stable OS I have ever worked with an experienced with since Windows 3.1. The network at my office is totally stable and have been for years. No one is complaining either.

To be pedantic, Windows 10 is stable on your hardware with your software in your use case...

To be pedantic, Windows 10 is stable on your hardware with your software in your use case...

Why would you use software that are not compatible with Windows 10 when you're using Windows 10 to begin with? I'm talking about a company network with dozens of computers plugged on it. Do you seriously think this wasn't "thought about" before it was bought and installed?

This isn't a game of luck. This is about skills and knowledge. Windows 10 is stable. If it isn't for you you're doing something wrong and you should know what. Especially when you are a system admin for a company or a technician.

You don't build a network with Windows 7 or 8. Not in 2020.

Last edited:

Wu-Zi-Mu

Honorable
Feb 20, 2016
Because I need that software and it's worked fine for ages on older Windows? Not everyone splurges on new h/w & s/w when upgrading an OS.

It doesn't help that there is no such thing as a compatibility list. After you upgrade, you often just discover that something doesn't work properly or at all when you go use it, and that's not even counting programs that silently get removed. Might as well run Wine on Linux...

Because I need that software and it's worked fine for ages on older Windows? Not everyone splurges on new h/w & s/w when upgrading an OS.

It doesn't help that there is no such thing as a compatibility list. After you upgrade, you often just discover that something doesn't work properly or at all when you go use it, and that's not even counting programs that silently get removed. Might as well run Wine on Linux...

What software are you talking about? Normally devs update their software so it works on Windows 10. If they didn't.... what are they doing?

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
"all the money"?
$100 for several years of the thing that runs your whole PC? And that, for those comparatively few who actually purchased a standalone OS license.
Windows 10 was a legally free update straight from Microsoft for years after release. The free upgrade program is officially over but no one told the MS activation team. It's well known that you can still download the windows media creation tool from MS's site and it will upgrade legal Windows 7 and 8 installations to Windows 10 and activate at no cost. There is no way Microsoft isn't aware of this, so they must be OK with people still upgrading for free.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Windows 10 is stable.
Yeah, because it's rebooting all the time, for other reasons.

Truly stable is something that can sustain years of uptime, but Windows 10 will never give you that chance.

In practice, there's really not much difference between Windows 10 randomly rebooting and randomly crashing. Sure, one carries less risk of data corruption, but both are about equally annoying, if they happen while you're away.

You don't build a network with Windows 7 or 8. Not in 2020.
I think you're missing the point.

Yeah, because it's rebooting all the time, for other reasons.

Truly stable is something that can sustain years of uptime, but Windows 10 will never give you that chance.

In practice, there's really not much difference between Windows 10 randomly rebooting and randomly crashing. Sure, one carries less risk of data corruption, but both are about equally annoying, if they happen while you're away.

I think you're missing the point.

What reasons. Go ahead and list them for me. I'm curious. Windows Automatic update? I built dozens of networks with Windows 10 and no system are rebooting for nothing unless it is an update that I DECIDED to do.

And yes Windows 10 is stable. You can keep that OS for years without formatting and it's still running as fine as when you installed it. That is considering you're an experienced PC user and you know what you're doing.

No systems I build with Windows 10 will reboot like that just because. This is called "You have a problem somewhere" which should be looked at.

You're talking like an OS rebooting for fun is normal when it's not. If my system was doing that you can be sure I would fix it.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
There is no way Microsoft isn't aware of this, so they must be OK with people still upgrading for free.
Then why does the retail edition, which they tell you to buy for upgrading, cost more than the OEM edition? There's basically no other reason not to buy the OEM edition.

In previous OS releases, MS used to sell an upgrade pack that was actually cheaper.
: (

Because you're using an Enterprise License.

No because I changed the updates settings so it doesn't reboot when it wants. Always doing it's updates at night when no one is working or when I'm there.

Stop trying to convince me that Windows 10 is an unstable OS.

I have been building network since Windows 3.1. Compared to the other OS Windows 10 is a miracle. Try doing anything with 95,98,ME, 7 or 8. I wouldn't touch them again with a 10 foot pole. Windows 10 is the winner here.

Unless you tell me EXACTLY what are those reboot you're talking about and that it's not the windows update you're talking about I will assume you had problems with that system hardware.

Last edited:

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
No because I changed the updates settings so it doesn't reboot when it wants.
AFAIK, it's only the Enterprise Edition that gives you that level of control. The rest of us must make do with "Pausing" updates.

Always doing it's updates at night when no one is working
IT policies like this always screw me over. Many programmers are night owls. I sometimes leave local SSH connections open for weeks or months at a time, so reboots aren't only disruptive when I'm sitting at my machine.

Stop trying to convince me that Windows 10 is an unstable OS.
I'm just saying that random reboots (yes, from Updates) aren't that different from crashes, in so far as how they affect me. I wouldn't know if it's as stable as Windows 7, because I haven't been able to keep it up as long (due to updates).

I have been building network since Windows 3.1. Compared to the other OS Windows 10 is a miracle. Try doing anything with 95,98,ME, 7 or 8. I wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole. Windows 10 is the winner here.
I am a late adopter, but I found XP and 7 to be very stable, by the time I finally started running them. Before that, I used 2000, which was also pretty good. At the time, I thought NT 4 was good, but not really in retrospect.

My experiences with Linux have been a little better than Windows, over all. It matters a lot which distro, window manager, etc. you're using, and Linux runs better on slightly older hardware. Our Linux servers routinely manage years of uptime, basically until we have to install the next distro release.

AFAIK, it's only the Enterprise Edition that gives you that level of control. The rest of us must make do with "Pausing" updates.

IT policies like this always screw me over. Many programmers are night owls. I sometimes leave local SSH connections open for weeks or months at a time, so reboots aren't only disruptive when I'm sitting at my machine.

I'm just saying that random reboots (yes, from Updates) aren't that different from crashes. I wouldn't know if it's as stable as Windows 7, because I haven't been able to keep it up as long (due to updates).

I am a late adopter, but I found XP and 7 to be very stable, by the time I finally started running them. Before that, I used 2000, which was also pretty good. At the time, I thought NT 4 was good, but not really in retrospect.

My experiences with Linux have a little better than Windows, over all. It matters a lot which distro, window manager, etc. you're using, and Linux runs better on slightly older hardware. Our Linux servers routinely manage years of uptime, basically until we have to install the next distro release.

Ok you're right. I'm sorry If I sounded rude in any ways and yes XP and 7 were pretty good. The only thing you can't do with XP and 7 that you can do on Windows 10 is install the OS and leave it for 7 years installed without having to format. I don't know how many time I had to format XP and 7 because of some random BSOD and then after the reboot you saw all those missing DLL's. It was a real mess. Windows 10 is pretty good in that sense. I had it since release and not once did I had to format. My Win 10 is running as good as when I installed it years ago. This is something that can't be said with XP and 7.

I'm sorry again. I'm tired and I don't even know why I started arguing with you :)