Windows 7 to Run on iPad With Citrix Receiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

rembo666

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
This is just Remote Desktop, but it definitely works. I can remote desktop just fine while tethering off my G1, why not iPad?

G

If this is easily possible then yes i would buy an ipad. Makes me wonder if you can do something similar to the iphone already.

FSXFan

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
[citation][nom]nos33[/nom]If this is easily possible then yes i would buy an ipad. Makes me wonder if you can do something similar to the iphone already.[/citation]
"The advancements that were made for the Citrix Receiver for iPhone will carry over to the iPad"

It seems you can.

It sure is an improvement, but it still needs that camera and I would rather see Win7 actually running on the iPad.

theuerkorn

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
Jane, your headlines really need some work as they typically imply something else. This is not the first time and something tells me it's not the last either.

Remote Desktop is a great idea, but not if you don't have a server handy. So in essence, the iPad doesn't run Windows 7 it only can act as a remote which doesn't execute any code other than GUI stuff.

ShadowFlash

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
It's not RDP though....Citrix uses ICA, which means it will come with all the HDX goodness along with it. Far more usable than RDP....just google "RDP vs. ICA" to see the difference. The big downer of course is Citrix is insanely expensive, not to mention the bewildering liscensing structure, that will make it only relevant for the large scale corporate setting. If Citrix made a workstation product like VMware, it would be much more relevant to the home "Power User"

Humans think

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
[citation][nom]theuerkorn[/nom]Jane, your headlines really need some work as they typically imply something else. This is not the first time and something tells me it's not the last either.Remote Desktop is a great idea, but not if you don't have a server handy. So in essence, the iPad doesn't run Windows 7 it only can act as a remote which doesn't execute any code other than GUI stuff.[/citation]

If you know the business area of Citrix it is difficult to misinterpret the headline...

[citation][nom]sliem[/nom]This is going to get sued by Apple again...[/citation]

OSX already has a RDC client developed by Microsoft working. Remote desktop connection programs are all over the place. It is not illegal, that's why Apple has come up with the App Store authentication process, so now it is not a matter of legal/illegal, it is a matter of whether Apple likes or dislikes an application. For those getting an iPad console that's how things are: Either their way or the highway...

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
Why not just buy a tablet that already runs windows 7

Archos 9 or

Asus Eee PC T91MT Black w/ Atom Z520, 1GB, 32GB SSD, 802.11 b/g/n, 8.9in Multi Touch WSVGA, Win 7 Home Premium

I don't see a point of spending more for less.

However it would make the ipad more appealing to some.

G

RDP 5.2, the current version, runs the same protocols as Citrix ICA. Neither allow the iPad, itself, to multitask.

Save yourself headaches and get something usable and upgradable like an ASUS or Archos.

festerovic

Distinguished
[citation][nom]keither5150[/nom]Why not just buy a tablet that already runs windows 7[/citation]
because it looks better and people will fawn over it since it's apple.

I thought the whole point of apple products was to say Look at Me. There have always been better products. Always.

snotling

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
[citation][nom]festerovic[/nom]because it looks better and people will fawn over it since it's apple. I thought the whole point of apple products was to say Look at Me. There have always been better products. Always.[/citation]
I think the apple Owner's message is more like:
I have money and you are wrong.

clownbaby

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
Does this mean you could use the IPAD as a remote desktop to a real system? That wouldn't/i] suck. I still am not willing to pay the entry price, plus buy a copy of windows, but the other tablets in the pipeline that come with native windows support may interest me more.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]theuerkorn[/nom]Jane, your headlines really need some work as they typically imply something else. This is not the first time and something tells me it's not the last either.Remote Desktop is a great idea, but not if you don't have a server handy. So in essence, the iPad doesn't run Windows 7 it only can act as a remote which doesn't execute any code other than GUI stuff.[/citation]

I genuinely don't think this headline is misleading. Citrix specializes in virtualization and remote access software. If I was trying to mislead people I could have not specified the company and merely stated that 'a software company' was endeavoring to bring Windows 7 to the iPad. Instead, I referred to Citrix by name, not wanting people to think that it was a bootcamp-like affair.

I can't speak about other headlines because I don't know which ones you're referring to. Sorry.

G

What sort of tablet comes without a stylus? This is a POS as far as i'm concerned. You couldn't even use the ipad to scribble some quick notes. Seems expected from a company that didn't put much else on the device. I'm so happy I don't own an ipod, iphone or any other apple nonsense. It's not for everybody, and certainly not me! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.