Windows 7 to Turn Your Wi-Fi Card Into Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
This could be useful for paid connections at public places such as hotels. Only one paid-internet pass would be needed, which can then be shared through the second virtualized adapter.

So you're saying this is pretty much only useful for cheating businesses out of money by stealing internet access for your friends? How many people in your hotel room need to access the internet at one time anyway? And if you're on a business trip, shouldn't your employer cover the cost of internet access if its necessary for business. And what hotels are you staying at that charge you for internet access? Airports, truckstops, etc... might be another matter, but hotels?

You could even take it a step further by using the second adapter as a repeater.
Ah, now there's a good, law-abiding use. Rather than wire a WAP to another part of your house (why are Linksys WAPs more expensive than their routers?), use the computer that sits inbetween, assuming its on all the time.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Wi-Fi Mitosis? Where's my tin foil hat?????

Awesome idea, but you've still got a bottleneck in data transfer rates. Still hard to knock. Don't like it, don't use it.

Harby

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]So you're saying this is pretty much only useful for cheating businesses out of money by stealing internet access for your friends? How many people in your hotel room need to access the internet at one time anyway? And if you're on a business trip, shouldn't your employer cover the cost of internet access if its necessary for business. And what hotels are you staying at that charge you for internet access? Airports, truckstops, etc... might be another matter, but hotels?Ah, now there's a good, law-abiding use. Rather than wire a WAP to another part of your house (why are Linksys WAPs more expensive than their routers?), use the computer that sits inbetween, assuming its on all the time.[/citation]

Take a chill pill, are you a hotel owner or something?

kelfen

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]So you're saying this is pretty much only useful for cheating businesses out of money by stealing internet access for your friends? How many people in your hotel room need to access the internet at one time anyway? And if you're on a business trip, shouldn't your employer cover the cost of internet access if its necessary for business. And what hotels are you staying at that charge you for internet access? Airports, truckstops, etc... might be another matter, but hotels?Ah, now there's a good, law-abiding use. Rather than wire a WAP to another part of your house (why are Linksys WAPs more expensive than their routers?), use the computer that sits inbetween, assuming its on all the time.[/citation]
theres something called security you should look it up; aka password on wireless connection

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
I wish I can have 2 physical WiFi cards (G/N)on my laptop and double my WiFi speed...lol

Guess that will never happen...>_

wkcar

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2008
So theoretically, if I'm connected to a network that limits bandwidth to like 1.5 MBit/s per connection, can I create a virtualized card to connect to that same network to have twice the speed to download files/surf the net? or is this just limited to using the network and creating ad-hoc connections at the same time?

G

FINALLY!! I have been trying to figure out how this very concept could be implemented! I am looking forward to using win7 even more now. With my A/B/G/N wireless adapter I should in theory have more control over the wireless radios to use for surveys and other such tasks.
On a more darker note... now I can properly deploy my 'Leech-Box' at the apartment complex. 50mb down ftw! XD

twisted politiks

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008

almost all decent hotels charge for internet nowadays, because they know people will pay for it. last time i stayed at a hotel they charged me $40/24-hours for sub par dsl connection, that was shared btw. so i really dont think they are "just paying off" their internet connection, unless they are dumb enough to pay for outrageously expensive T1.

bachok83

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
it would be nice if Microsoft add the support to Windows Media Player that one can play music on say 'notebook' and Media Player streams the sound to another PC (entertainment system, where ur speakers are hooked up).

joex444

Distinguished
[citation][nom]bachok83[/nom]it would be nice if Microsoft add the support to Windows Media Player that one can play music on say 'notebook' and Media Player streams the sound to another PC (entertainment system, where ur speakers are hooked up).[/citation]

Maybe I'm not reading you correctly, but they have. You have two PCs networked together, on one you enable media sharing (something built into Vista and thus Win 7) with your collection of music. On the other, you will see both the source PC and a media device for that PC -- this latter one contains the source PC's music. You simply play the audio files on the PC connected to the speakers, and that decodes it. It sounds like you wanted the source to decode and then stream the sound, an impossible feat; it can stream the encoded files for the host to decode and send to the entertainment system however. This is only slightly more complicated in XP, if you haven't used Vista.

hemelskonijn

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
This could potentially be awesome since with some nice software you could create a huge mesh network specially in area's that have loads of laptops.

Imagine sitting in the grass half a mile from college playing world of warcraft thanks to all the people in between reading their email.

The software would have to be really complex and awesome though and even so it would require a lot of people to take part in the network to actually make the above scenario possible.

G

Oh, this is just great!

"Welcome to the Man-In-The-Middle Attack Wizard. Click on the NEXT button to begin the network card configuration."

Just what we need at airports and cafe's now.

ossie

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
Wow! m$ has di$covered something that was available in hostAP & co., for how many years?
TH on m$ a$$ licking tour... actually, how high is m$ ad revenue right now?

A $0ft damper for the overenthu$ia$tic m$ fanboy crowd:
"On Windows 7 and later, the operating system installs a virtual device if a Hosted Network capable wireless adapter is present on the machine."

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
I don't see how this will cheat hotels/hot spots out of anything. I'm sure they already limit bandwidth to a certain level... and it's not like this would increase that cap. It'd just be splitting that cap among multiple clients.

G

There is so many things wrong with this...
1) Man-in-the-middle
2) Reliability
3) Ping

apmyhr

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
ossie, your overuse of $ to bash Microsoft makes you look like an idiot. How much of a linux fanboy do you have to be to get angry about Microsoft adding a potentially useful feature?

But yes, you are right, Tomshardware is obviously being paid off by Microsoft when they write an article on new Windows features. I mean, why would anyone be interested in learning about features for an operatin system family that only controls 90% of the PC market?

dainsane1

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
Neat but not new. some Asus laptops and other wireless products allow for just that. never actually tried it but have run across the feature during laptop setup (i think); course since i never used it i may have just misread the feature description.

3p0cHx

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2008
Would this be a way to create a fail-over connection, so that if one wifi connection is getting interference, the other virtual connection will take over and you'll resume browsing? Or will it allow for bridging so that if you have 2x54mbit connections, you'll effectivly have 100mb?

Status
Not open for further replies.