Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Missing cd/dvd driver

fataldarkness

Honorable
Mar 31, 2013
Ok here is the scoop:
I currently have a laptop running Win 7 x64 and I also have a desktop. This desktop, has a blank HDD. This desktop also has no optical CD/DVD drive installed currently. This means then that I must use a pendrive formatted to FAT (NOT FAT32 or NTSC) because this build is quite old but still has good hardware. I downloaded the official x64 Win7 Ultimate .iso file from microsoft. I now have two problems:

1)Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool says that the OFFICIAL .iso file is invalid and wont let me create a bootable usb stick. This I resolved by doing it manually using the program PowerISO to extract the files to the FAT formatted usb drive

2)It works... well sort of, I get to the "Install Now" screen and click that. Setup begins. The first screen i am faced with says that it is missing CD/DVD drivers with the error message "A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now. ". My question is WHAT DRIVERS?!, there is no CD/DVD drive and the setup wont let me past until I pick one.

For #2 I've read a couple threads and they said to switch from SATA to AHCI. Unfortunately i am unable to do this because my BIOS is Phoenic -AwardBIOS. Can somebody please tell me what i need to do because I am completely stumped.

EDIT: FYI the HDD is very old but still in working order

Feldmarschall

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013
Hello.

There should be no problem regarding Win7 for native sata mode if your HDD is SATA. If it's PATA then you should change option to NATIVE SATA DISABLED. (it's right there in PHOENIX)
Since this next step won't harm you try to use that pendrive on your laptop. If it gets you to install options then your hardware on PC is problem, otherwise it's pendrive.
I would like to point you to one program called WinToFlash which works perfect. All you need to do is to mount that ISO with deamon or simillar tool and point USB drive for bootable build.

If everything fails, try to reseat or/and use only one stick of RAM for installation, this may cause some problems for older machines.

Cheers :)

fataldarkness

Honorable
Mar 31, 2013

Feldmarschall, I tried what you said and you're right, the problem is the pendrive. I will try what USAFRet has said and re-download the copy, i'll update you if that works

EDIT: ok so I downloaded a new copy of the iso, still nothing, even tried Win7 Home premium instead of Win7 Ultimate, I also switched memory sticks so now I am using a 4gb Lexar drive formatted as FAT

fataldarkness

Honorable
Mar 31, 2013
Just some extra information:
The BIOS you are referring to probably does not look like you first envisioned it. I have no idea what version it is but it looks pretty much exactly like the one shown in this picture (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf-JAVA/Doc/images/269/c01112042.jpg). I cannot see any potions relating to NATIVE SATA DISABLED in there. Also the HDD I am using is a WD400EB, a very old one.

I have also tried the following
- New copy of the iso
-WintoUsb and Windows DVE/USB downloader tool also manual methods
-Trying a new HDD of the same type
-Using a new flash memory stick
-Turning off and on again
-Completly removing the HDD
-Actually trying to find drivers

Here is a picture of the error message (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ugefOgcZ1ZQ/TwkaBb2SYUI/AAAAAAAAD4w/SGiUQbmMHbQ/s1600/A+required+CDDVD+drive+device+driver+is+missing+windows+7.png)

And more pics of the BIOS taken with a potato (http://imgur.com/a/IoXvc)
I haven't got a hardware list as this computer is just too old for me to remember

fataldarkness

Honorable
Mar 31, 2013

Here is the link to another forum post I did, could you please read over it and see if you have any ideas on a fix?

jjohnson18850

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013
I finally installed Windows 7 Professional. I tried all the tricks from several different forum answers / suggestions. But no luck. Then I thought: "hey, it might be a good idea to try to install an earlier version of Windows then do a full / clean install from there." So I tried to install Windows XP Professional 32-bit. After 3 - 5 minutes the install failed, "this installation has stopped to prevent any damage to your hardware." I am not sure but I did get to an Automatic Problem Fix screen somewhere in my efforts. I tried this but it failed also. Anyway, I think the most direct solution would be to install an earlier version of Windows and then install Windows 7 after, since all the drivers are then loaded. I think this is what occurred when I tried to install Windows XP Professional. Install an earlier version of Windows first. Then delete partitions / format as desired when installing Windows 7. (Please post this solution to at least one other forum. I can't get to them all. I don't have the time. Thanks.)

Feldmarschall

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013

This is not solution. No drivers other than generic will be loaded in any kind of clean OS instalations, so it is waste of time to install earlier version of windows unless you are using an Upgrade box od windows and of course in that case it is not clean install. There is no benefit at all to use earlier installs.

jjohnson18850

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013
I will reply to your response just this once although it is clear to me you just want someone to chat with because your response is nosense. Here it is: The original poster could not install Windows 7. So if he can install an earlier version then he can get his cd/dvd drive operational. This is what is needed: this is what prompted his Windows 7 installation to fail: cd/dvd device driver missinig. So this problem is then overcome. Once the earlier Windows version (if you have a 64-bit machine then use a 64-bit earlier version and install a 64-bit Windows 7) is installed he then boots from the DVD drive with the Windows 7 installation DVD. When installation proceeds, there is a prompt to format the partition(s) or delete any existing partitions. I deleted my existing three partitions. You may prefer to fully format them first then delete them. Once this is done, there is nothing left on the hard drive / ssd. Therefore your subsequent installation of Windows 7 is a full and clean install. The drive is blank erased. And you say this solution is of no use. Ask someone who is stuck and solves their problem in this manner if this procedure is of no use. Ask them if this is not a clean install if they fully format then delete any existing partitions. I'm finished with this thread. Thank you.

jjohnson18850

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013
Herr Feldmarschall

"I finally installed Windows 7 Professional."
Did I say I failed to install Windows 7 somewhere?
"So I tried to install Windows XP Professional 32-bit. After 3 - 5 minutes the install failed,..."
I failed to install Windows XP 32-bit.

But besides all that: why are you nitpicking my post. The solution is sound; if you can install a previous version of Windows "you're good to go" and install Windows 7.

But forget I asked.

By the way: I'm installing from a USB connected bluray writer drive from an OEM DVD.

William Delima

Honorable
May 6, 2013

I tried to do what you suggested and it would not let the earlier version install either. it wouldnt let it even begin to install. The Windows 7 disk I am using is a Microsoft CD that I purchased from Amazon. It came in a sealed box that said it was for distribution with new pc's. Obviously it should be a working disk. Any idea why it is still saying I am missing a required cd/dvd drive device driver and possible solutions to this? I have been looking on here for a few days trying to find information to fix this pc. The PC originally crashed and would not load anything. when trying to use windows repair it informed me that there was nothing I could do by exit the system. I used a master boot disk to reformat the hardrive but when I started to reinstall the OS it brings me to where we are now.. missing and willing to try any idea to possibly fix my PC.

thebadguy420

Reputable
Sep 25, 2014
i have slightly the same problem but few differences i downloaded windows 7 iso file then burned it to a disc everything works as of now but one thing im trying to play the sims 2 deluxe but my drive theres weird going on with it idk but let me explain more any i stick the disc in close the tray it reads and reconizes the disc reads the name in my computer states whats in the drive but when it loads up and you press run.exe when the window pops when u insert disc nothing happens doesnt play nothing i did everything like the methhod unstall reinstall still nothing my drive is tss tcorp but anyway i reinstall the game to still nothing i went to toshiba.com cant find the driver i need i have a another windows 7 disc but its home premium 64 bit not ultimate 64 bit which im running now and the drive works perfect