Windows 7 Updates; ONLY Security Updates fail to install

Tigerhawk30

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2015
Good evening everyone,

So, I'm really not sure why but when trying to do any sort of security updates for Windows 7, it will fail to install every single time, reverting changes after failure on the reboot/startup portion of configuration. Weird thing is, every other type of install will work without issue (Office patches, Malicious Removal Tool updates, etc). It's only the security updates that fail to install. I've looked in various places trying to find a solution, and what I have found prior to posting this didn't seem to have any effect:

I've ensured that Webroot is compliant with the recent MS security update protocol and even double-checked this by downloading the manual update to the software to ensure compliance. I've done the C:/Windows/SoftwareDistributionOLD folder and created a fresh SoftwareDistribution folder for Update to go to, as update refused to install ANY updates for a while. Did the clean boot thing several times to try to install the security updates. No effect on any of those. I believe I've not been able to run security updates since the January update.

And actually, I just checked the date I created the newer SoftwareDistribution folder...January 1st 2018. Perhaps that may be an/the issue...?

The system runs perfectly otherwise. SSD health is at 99%.

Specs are:
AMD FX 8350
C: is a SanDisk Plus 240GB SSD
32GB Kingston (HyperX) DDR3 RAM
ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 (BIOS updated about a year ago, no newer BIOS available)
GPU is MSI R 480 4GB

Thanks in advance!

Tigerhawk30

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2015

I have actually tried both of those. Even tried the freeware FWUpdate as some others have suggested. No go with any of those. Thanks though!