Windows 7 Upgrade Could Take Over 20 Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert17

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
Certainly 20 hours would be a max? That is, if there are many, many programs, games, files, folders, drivers, registry entries, right? I'm using RC7 now and can only determine that Adobe and RC7 don't get along. The beta's of AV software work ok, other than the expiration dates. DirectX 11 not recognized by many graphics cards, so Dumbdown seems to be the way to go. 20 hours, huh. I've done clean installs, including several programs, games, etc, in no more than 6-7 worst case scenario, never upgraded, so it makes me wonder what MS did to arrive at the scary 20 hour number.

CoryInJapan

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008
I agree.upgrade should never be in consideration with installing a new Op system.Best performance is always from a fresh clean install over upgrade.

Sure upgrade install.
Upgrade with all the viruses/spyware/malware/trojan w/e that's on your old system your virus program didn't detect.

cybrcatter

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
Most users will average upgrade times lasting just a few hours
So you used statistical outliers to make an intriguing headline for an article of little to no relevance for any of the readers of this website?
Thank you for wasting my time.

zoobiewa

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
Wow... only 20 hours to get a system back to the way it was before? That's amazing. I know that it takes me weeks and I often can NEVER get things back to how I wanted them before. Just getting things like photoshop macros and other programmed settings working again means I have to relearn and redo things that I figured out years ago. I am totally trapped in my OS! Augh!

Burodsx

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
cybrcatter: The article might be useful to users that don't have the experience or knowledge of doing fresh installs and updating all the drivers. By no means is that a difficult task, but there are plenty who would rather take the 'easy way out' so to speak.

kato128

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]zoobiewa[/nom]Wow... only 20 hours to get a system back to the way it was before? That's amazing. I know that it takes me weeks and I often can NEVER get things back to how I wanted them before. Just getting things like photoshop macros and other programmed settings working again means I have to relearn and redo things that I figured out years ago. I am totally trapped in my OS! Augh![/citation]

Think of it as retraining. MS is increasing your value to your employer.

cybrcatter

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
[citation][nom]Burodsx[/nom]cybrcatter: The article might be useful to users that don't have the experience or knowledge of doing fresh installs and updating all the drivers. By no means is that a difficult task, but there are plenty who would rather take the 'easy way out' so to speak.[/citation]

I said nothing about fresh installs. I referencing the information about UPGRADES, specifically "Most users will average upgrade times lasting just a few hours"
Meaning that, of the set of users who wish to take the UPGRADE rout, MOST of them will have acceptable install times.

It's like creating a headline along the lines of 'Residents in southern California can experience more than 2 strokes per year!".
It is not an invalid statement-there is in fact a very small percentage of that population that do, but its abusing statistical outliers to make an otherwise nonexistent newsworthy story.

cletus_slackjawd

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
I've recently been having troubles with my main PC (vista) with BF2 crashing to desktop and on another computer running XP having blue screens. Well I've formatted and clean installed several times on both. the XP machine ended up having a faulty stick of RAM and the other one was a combo problem with punkbuster and sound driver issue. My point was going to be: I'm a very seasoned pro in the clean install routine but the funny thing is there is always something that goes slightly wrong, something reported by windows (different each time) that something my not have installed correctly, or the anti-virus program (symantec end-point protection) is not correctly reporting status to windows security center etc. I've found lots of inconsistancies with driver updates (which ones are the actual latest ones from manufactures website vs Windows Update) and which order to install, re-read fine print, uninstall, re-install, reboot, run setup to complete. ARGH!! It's not as easy as it's been made out, you really have to take it slow and research before you plunge in and take your time, sometimes the installation instructions don't jive to what you see on screen, sometimes you have to think it through and figure it out yourself.

cletus_slackjawd

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
Example: Realtek HD Audio Codec, released a new Windows certified driver. Then about 4 days later they release a new one. To install it, you run the setup, then you have to reboot. Windows picks up a new driver and says it installed. But it's actually not fully installed, you have to run the setup program a 2nd time before it completes the install and then reboot. It says this in the readme file but I suspect alot of people like me would just assume it was fully installed and drive on only to have problems later.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Tkes like what, half an hour for a fresh install and a half hour to backup all your goodies?

I backed up 200 gigs of goodies and did a fresh install in a few hours, most of the time was just transfering data to old slow drives. =D

G

I wonder how many have tried to upgrade from Vista to 7
I did an upgrade to Win 7 on my machine and it took about 3 hours. A full install of Vista took about an hour(not including installing drivers) so I think the 20 hours is an extreme case not the norm.

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
I did try the upgrade before during Windows 7 RC test and it didn't take that long. It actually takes me less time to install the Vista to 7 upgrade than to clean install an XP plus updates.

Upgrading from Vista is a better option for me because all the drivers are installed. Clean install is better but not faster.

G

urmm wow...windows gotten worst on every new release of their os,they've forgotten the terms of "user friendly" seriously for clean installation on windows for several hours? you've got to be kiddin. with mac os x just took 45 minutes for upgrading from leopard to snow leopard and for clean install much more faster with no driver installation need to be done.

CChick

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
[citation][nom]evisidz[/nom]urmm wow...windows gotten worst on every new release of their os,they've forgotten the terms of "user friendly" seriously for clean installation on windows for several hours? you've got to be kiddin. with mac os x just took 45 minutes for upgrading from leopard to snow leopard and for clean install much more faster with no driver installation need to be done.[/citation]

except that your OS never works. it has Full of security problems. and guess what, Apple wont fix it !

and all you paid was nothing but a "service pack". and guess what, Windows gets Service pack for FREE.

Rofl. ever heard of "extreme case"? 20 hours is "Up to", not always, I guess you're too dumb to know the difference between those 2 words. go fuck a goat Mac boy.

CChick

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
btw. Mac dumb boy. it took me about 30 minutes to do a CLEAN INSTALL of Windows 7 RTM. Hmm, yeah. we get better security out of box. Im talking about REAL security, not some fantasy that Jobs gave u dumbasses. LMAO.

Status
Not open for further replies.