Windows 7 Upgrade Makes Some PCs Unusable

Status
Not open for further replies.

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
I upgraded my wifes notebook from vista home premium 64 to 7 home premium 64 and it took 8 freakin hours! After the install completed it would blue screen and randomly reboot. A fresh install fixed everything I was lazy and didn't want to reinstall everything

kiloprime

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I upgrade 64bit vista to 64 bit Windows 7, and got the same thing after the first install try. Removed iTunes and my ATI Catalyst Control Center, reinstalled and it went fine, but took over two hours. Reinstalled iTunes and my ATI stuff and off we go, works fine.

G

This isn't really news...This has been an infrequent but ongoing problem with almost every previous version of Windows.

dhowie

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
I upgraded using the $29 upgrade download from digital river, to upgrade from Windows XP Professional 64bit to Windows 7 Professional 64bit in less then 40 minutes, and i still retained my old software and documents even though i backed up all my stuff to begin. Score one for Microsoft.

On another note Microsoft's 64bit upgrades from Digital River require a 64 bit OS already in place to unpack. Minus one for Microsoft for forgetting to tell everyone.

The fact is, that even with the problem in place, the software and documents can still be recovered. Unfortunately, for my fellow mac users who upgraded to snow leopard and lost their documents and software to the mac upgrade bug (that deletes files and user information), im sorry, but hey atleast they have patch so you dont loose all your data twice :)

samely

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
[citation][nom]zach538467[/nom]Somehow I knew this was written by Marcus before I even clicked on the headline...[/citation]
Sad to say, I had the same thoughts.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
"Have you been having any problems upgrading from Vista?"

As a rule I never upgrade I do clean installs, I have had luck in the past but after some time I would just wipe out the system and do a clean install. Each time I have done a clean install VS an upgrade I noticed that the clean install ran faster then the upgrade. (not hard evidence but my perception is important to me lol)

If some one has a problem doing an upgrade hopefully some one did a backed up before they did the upgrade like they should have anyway.

2 important lessons.

1. Back up your stuff, especially if your doing something massive like say hmmm an OS upgrade.

2. Do a clean install then if you did #1 like you should have then happiness will be yours, with all your files and a fresh new OS whats not to like :)

G

this is what people get for upgrading. and not doing clean installs

jegadeth

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
Just do a freakin clean install. I did this last week. It was done in 30 minutes. I just added my other media partition as a library. Bam....music, pictures, documents, all there. Then I slowly reinstalled apps as i needed them.

People that just have 1 partition for the 2-8 year life of their PC, cram it with junk, and expect to just "upgrade" to a new PC without any issues?

C'mon.

bliq

Distinguished
[citation][nom]rumar4u[/nom]All things that Marcus Yam Post are against Windows. Pure Mac Fan[/citation]

Just because he pointed it out doesn't mean it's not happening. And from all accounts, it's happening.

rsklingensmith

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
Just like everyone else, I knew this was a Marcus Yam article the second I read the headline. Go back to watching youself beat off in photobooth Marcus and leave the Microsoft articles to someone with a little less bias.

legierk

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2008
[citation][nom]zach538467[/nom]Somehow I knew this was written by Marcus before I even clicked on the headline...[/citation]
Yep, same here

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Funny thing is for all the "blame" on MS for the install times, I installed Vista and Upgraded (clean) to 7 on a new PC in less than an hour. Mayhaps the issue is hardware/file fragmentation related.

The same issue occurs across OS's (yes even Mac and Linux similar reports exist going from Tiger to Leopard), upgrades do not always go smoothly as it is impossible to test every possible file change that could have occurred. If you don't backup your data religiously you will lose it, if not today then at some point down the road.

G

A laptop recently appeared on my desk with these exact symptoms. I was pretty stumped by it.
Not being paid enough to figure out the problem, I managed to revive the recovery partition (Windows 7 had removed the boot entry for it, but hadn't deleted it thankfully) and restored Windows Vista.

The client wasn't interested in the operating system on the machine, they simply requested that I "fix it"

It seems the upgrade attempt was performed by the client's son in an attempt to "fix" the machine which was plagued with slow startup time and a healthy dose of unnecessary applications running. I don't have any details about the 7 install that was used, but it seems that it wasn't a retail copy.
This would have been a perfect candidate for one of those Clean Installs that Microsoft recommends, but for some odd reason, the contents of the My Documents folder was deemed too valuable to simply copy to a flash drive while the system was upgraded.

I'd be very curious to know more of the specifics about this problem. The machine I had worked on was running a 32bit version of Vista Home Premium, OEM Gateway.

[citation][nom]ssalim[/nom]Word of advice: do not do upgrade. Do clean install instead. It's better for everyone.[/citation]
EXACTLY! That's what I tell every one who's upgrading an OS.

The problem is 75% of the people don't have back ups of their stuff, so backing up that takes quite a while for those idiots.

Off topic: Any one who lost data and didn't have back ups because they didn't back up, they deserved it.

kvn00

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Dude, Marcus, you should at least create several pseudonyms under which to write those anything-not-Apple-sucks articles. This way everybody can pretend that you're not insulting the intelligence of your readers.

rpmrush

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Why potentially carry your "Windows Rot" into your new install. Fresh install always. People running any version of Windows that is over 12 months old don't need "more RAM". They need a clean install. Windows rot has taken hold and if you only reinstall everything will snappy and happy again. ALWAYS CLEAN INSTALL. DON'T BE LAZY!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.