Windows 7 Way Smarter With Graphics RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

thundercleese

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
I have a Radeon HD 3870 X2 with 1GB or video RAM and 8GB of system memory. I clearly don't use shared video memory and my GPU is never starved of memory either. Would it be wiser to stick with WDDM1.0 scheme in that case? And then use WDDM1.1 for my HTPC with an intergrated Radeon HD3200?

...Or would I even notice a difference on either system using either 1.0 or 1.1?

7amood

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2005
yeah, it's clear that they are DOING...
everyday, it becomes more interesting for me
more efficiency... more development... more...

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
[citation][nom]thundercleese[/nom]I have a Radeon HD 3870 X2 with 1GB or video RAM and 8GB of system memory. I clearly don't use shared video memory and my GPU is never starved of memory either. Would it be wiser to stick with WDDM1.0 scheme in that case? And then use WDDM1.1 for my HTPC with an intergrated Radeon HD3200?...Or would I even notice a difference on either system using either 1.0 or 1.1?[/citation]

you want to use 1.1 and take full advantage of windows 7 change. this is amazing, right now your graphics card memory is not directly used, instead windows writes to your ram memory and they are synced. this takes time, what microsoft is doing is directly writing to your video cards memory, saving the overhead of keeping the two synced. this is amazing and everyone should try to move over, baring problems...

G

See, this is how they avoid "perception problems" like in Vista, have the news constantly flood you with puff pieces on what a great OS this is, and thus, rumors that it doesn't suck spread like wildfire. This is why it's a new OS rather than Vista SP2.5, even though it's based on Vista. I hope it lives up to the hype, but don't let them "market" it to you like Apple does.

brother shrike

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
[citation][nom]Shadow703793[/nom]Good to see Microsoft doing things to optimize code. Now, could we please have a multi threaded OS?[/citation]

ummm.... Windows is multithreaded. has been for a while.

thundercleese

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]SkepticalSkeptic[/nom]See, this is how they avoid "perception problems" like in Vista, have the news constantly flood you with puff pieces on what a great OS this is, and thus, rumors that it doesn't suck spread like wildfire. This is why it's a new OS rather than Vista SP2.5, even though it's based on Vista. I hope it lives up to the hype, but don't let them "market" it to you like Apple does.[/citation]

They're not "rumors". I have been using the Betas for a while now on many different plataforms and I can tell u Windows 7 is excellent.

dafin0

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2009
SkepticalSkeptic

no need to market it to most people as they are using the beta/RC and can see that its a very solid product

stryk55

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
This advancement alone will definitely help Windows 7 appeal especially to those buying a low priced model from a PC manufacturer such as eMachines or Compaq. The biggest complaint with shared memory was slowdowns caused by this exact scenario.

computabug

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
What?! Does this mean that my 6gigs of memory won't ever be used, and I'll also have a performance hit? If so, I'm going Linux >.> I needed memory in my old PC, so I bought a new one altogether. Now, MS is telling me I didn't have to buy a new PC, and my attempts at future-proofing myself were a complete fail?

doomsdaydave11

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
[citation][nom]The_One111[/nom]*begins to salivate over a new piece of technology*I feel..... nerdy...[/citation]
There's probably a reason for that :p

I agree with other posts. Windows 7 IS looking awesome.... I just wished it looked EXACTLY like Windows XP. I've used it for 8 years, and don't really ever wanna switch lol. DX10/11 and 64-bit on Windows 7 Ultimate would be the best thing ever :).

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]Windows is as "multi-threaded" as games.[/citation]
Play 1080p file with XP and Vista x64 and you'll see the difference.

yoda8232

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
FINALLY!!
Vista is terrible because it uses SO MUCH of my RAM while XP I have TONS of it available. And this ain't no shitty RAM, this is Corsair XMS2 2GB Dual Channel PC-6400 RAM.

bardia

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2007
[citation][nom]yoda8232[/nom]FINALLY!!Vista is terrible because it uses SO MUCH of my RAM while XP I have TONS of it available. And this ain't no shitty RAM, this is Corsair XMS2 2GB Dual Channel PC-6400 RAM.[/citation]

Congratulations. You now have over 1GB of XMS2 DDR800 idling empty instead of boosting your graphics, performance, and security.

Yay for XP! =)

kato128

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]yoda8232[/nom]FINALLY!!Vista is terrible because it uses SO MUCH of my RAM while XP I have TONS of it available. And this ain't no shitty RAM, this is Corsair XMS2 2GB Dual Channel PC-6400 RAM.[/citation]

Actually that is old RAM and besides, don't you realise that 2GB ram isn't enough these days? You aren't even in the enthusiast space without having at least 4GB and crying not enough memory is a cop out because the ram you have can be gotten in 8gb quantities for less than $120 USD. RAM has been a quantity over quality product since ddr2 was introduced.

n3ard3ath

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
If it actually translates into something efficient (Vista is'nt on this matter, even though they promised it would), it would be pretty cool. Vista is stable, good looking and secure. But it is really badly optimised. Still, it got better with SP1 and following updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.