[SOLVED] Windows 7 won't start

Feb 9, 2020
Turn computer on and press F8. I select 'repair my computer' and hit enter then it says loading files and then goes to a grey screen with mouse arrow in the middle of screen. Stays like that and wont do anything else. I am using a windows 7 bootable usb. I have tried so many different ways and nothing is working. some of the error codes I have gotten are:
0xc0000098
0xc0000225
0xc0000428

I do not have a windows disc nor do I have access to one or the ability to make one so that is not even an option to try. Should I accept that my whole life in this computer is gone and send it for target practice?

Solution
Advise laptop make and model. Try a cold boot by removing the battery and AC adapter, hold down the power button for 10 seconds, attach AC adapter and then try to boot again. If not, boot from your windows 7 usb and try a clean install. If this fails, try a clean install with a new hdd.
Did you make any changes to your PC?
Otherwise, it appears that your disk is failing or the boot partition or its configuration file might be corrupted.

You might need an installation media to fix the issue.

I would try installing Windows 10.
If you have to re-install Windows 7, you might have an uphill battle trying to get updates to download. You might need to download some of them manually before Windows 7 Automatic Update kicks in.

Last edited:

need4speeds

Distinguished
Unplug your old drive and then find a way to install windows on a usb stick or other drive.
Install it as a trial with no key since your not really gonna use it for long.

-Try the drive on a 2nd computer, just make sure you don't let the bios try to boot from it.
Even a windows XP\Vista machine should be ok.

Once you have it working enough (I think it's safe to skip installing some stuff like say the sound card drivers, ect.) Just with the video and basics working is all you need.
Then turn it off, plug in your old drive. In the bios, ect. make sure your booting from the new windows 7 drive not your old one.
Once it's running you can then see what's on it. Copy and save your files.
Copying the drive's USERS\Computername\AppData and start menu over to a folder on your new drive helps to be able to do a "transplant"
You will have to enable "show hidden files" and system files for your folder options to see the hidden Appdata folder.
-There are more files and stuff you should copy and save for future copy-paste stuff.
-While it will take a bigger drive to do it, it's possible to copy your Steam folder, program folders. Look on Steam on how to save and backup your Steam install and gamesaves, ect. Also Ubisoft, ect.
-It's possible to save your browser's favorites into a backup folder or file too. It can then be later copy-pasted over to a new browser install.

-If you do this right you can do a transplant. This is most useful if you wish to go from 32bit windows to 64bit so you are forced to do a reinstall. Like going from windows XP 32bit to 7 x64 for example.

Google\search online about doing the windows transplant and saving your games, saves, programs, favorites, ect. With some effort it can be done.

You could try to run scandisk, ect. while running windows from your new install on the old one and see it if fixes any bad files. Or at least it will tell you if the drive is failing.

-There are portable browsers too that you can use to copy your saved favorites to, like Waterfox portable, Firefox Portable, Opera portable, they can run from a folder or usb stick, ect.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2020
Okay I was able to get some of my files off by doing what need4speeds suggested. Put hard drive back in the original computer....
Now as soon as I turn on the computer a screen pops up giving me two options:
launch startup repair
start windows normally

if i choose the first option the computer goes to black screen for about 30 seconds and then just shuts off

The second option will show the 'starting windows' screen for a min or two then a blue screen with some text appears for literally a second before it goes back to the original start screen with the two options.

I can get to the Bios screen but that is about it. Advanced boot options wont show it just freezes and shuts off.

What can I do just to get a working laptop again with anything. Do I just go buy a new windows 10 disc and stick it in and turn on the computer? I have never had a laptop get to a point where no menus will show besides bios.

Last edited:
Advise laptop make and model. Try a cold boot by removing the battery and AC adapter, hold down the power button for 10 seconds, attach AC adapter and then try to boot again. If not, boot from your windows 7 usb and try a clean install. If this fails, try a clean install with a new hdd.

Solution