Windows 8.1 Causing BSOD When Creating Ramdisk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Win 8 also seems to have problems with dual booting.

edit: also, I could not install 8.1 before removing my WLAN card.

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012
These articles you're starting now, writing about single users with individual problems and actually writing messed up advice on top of that are, bizarre. I mean, this site is supposed to be somewhat for the tech savvy readers? Still you write that this odd issue that you've managed to dig up appears to affect Nvidia chipsets. Still you write about an advice to uninstall Intel chipset drivers?

How about troubleshoot your writing first? :)

monkeycmonkeydu

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013
"Seems like we are in a position where for some reason Microsoft is not responding to this issue here."

Yeah that's not unusual, us poor Windows 7 saps are still waiting on them to fix their black screen media center issue only 5 years later...

slyu9213

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
I did a clean install of Windows 8 just for the hope that Windows 8.1 will install successfully this time around. Last time it had so many errors before the install was even successful. This time the only things installed are drivers and programs/apps that came with Windows 8. Better work or Microsoft has a ton of work to do.

nForce wasn't bad but the equivalent Intel chipsets were better.

I am not surprised its having issues either. The last time NVidia made a chipset for Intel was 2008, 5 years ago. The hardware is out of date.

Yea, 7 still has a few issues. It had less than most other OSes but it still has issues, hence why there are patches still coming out fixing those issues. SP1 had issues installing for some people too.

And Vista? Really? Vista had a lot of issues. Its not even a OS that was popular enough to matter. I had it and was fine with it but compared to 8, Vista is pretty bad.

And I am not surprised at the issues. Most people don't maintain their systems and drivers at all.

baddad

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
I've upgrade 5 machines from windows 8 to 8.1 no problem, I have the above problem on my game machine and everything they said to do has just made it worst. Plus I have a machine I've been talking to MS level 2 support about that the store down loaded a preview copy and now will not activate, I kept telling them that was the problem and today they finally lesson. So they are down loading a copy of 8.1 to that machine to try and repair it. I don't think it will work. BTW the above problem is happening to thousands of user, it's not just some odd problem!

shortbus25

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
I have a q6600 and installed 8.1 with no issues at all so be it I don't have a nforce board!! Maybe this upgrade stuff is the issue I got 8.1 back when they released the rtm from the Microsoft student website and love every bit of this 8.1 goodness permitted I did install classic shell and did away with metro $#!% but it works great!!!

m32

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
I almost bought W8 a couple of months ago. I'm glad I didn't. Not because of this, since this really wouldn't effect me, but the little bugs that have been floating around would really bother me + the tablet UI doesn't help.

slyu9213

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
Microsoft's statement to check for drivers to be updated is too broad of a statement. Yes there's a lot of people retarded in the technology department but those people wouldn't have kept using Windows 8 in the first place. Most drivers are updated automatically through Windows Update so if a driver isn't updated it's more of Microsoft's fault. I had all drivers upgraded and all programs installed to the newest version yet I still did not get Windows 8.1 to install successfully. If this current install does not work than Microsoft needs to do some more repenting and fixing.

Windows 8 was a nice improvement in the performance department and work speed for my personal experience. Windows 8.1 is supposed to be he same. I can just continue using Windows 8 for now but I don't want to wait forever for Windows 8.1 to finally work with most computers. If they don't fix the major issues I hope Microsoft provides free installation disks or drives. I'm tired of downloading the update over and over again after a while. I downloaded three times on one machine and still the update is not successful. I have 3 other computers that I have not even tried yet.

Well if you are still running a NForce board it is time to upgrade anyway! As far as the update to Windows 8.1 I did not have any problems with my three rigs the update was smooth on all my rigs.

DonChesak

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013
I too have the same issue. When attempting to upgrade from Windows 8 to 8.1 I get this, "There isn't enough memory available to create a ramdisk device. Error Code 0xc0000017.

PROCESSOR: Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 Yorkfield 3.0GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 775 130W Quad-Core Processor - Retail
MOTHER BOARD: eVGA 132-CK-NF78-A1 LGA775 Motherboard, nForce 780i SLI Chipset
MEMORY: Corsair Dominator 4GB (4 x 1GB) DDR2 SDRAM Desktop Memory TWIN2X2048-8500C5D, DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500), 240-Pin, SLI Certified.
HARD DRIVE: Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB 10,000 RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive (RAID 0 Striped Drives)
VIDEO CARD: eVGA 768-P2-N831-AR GeForce 8800GTX 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card
SOUND CARD: on-board

It looks like it just much be some part to do with NVidia nForce and others it may be other issues.

You really need an upgrade. Even just going to say a 2500K would be an insane difference for you.

The QX9650 was a great CPU but its outdated by todays standards.

stephenpate

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011
Don't be so lazy. Browse the Microsoft Community yourself. Softpedia for the love of Pete. There are lots of Windows 8.1 issues that are not solved yet and often there are no official responses from MS. Odd company.

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
WTH Microsoft brand new system updated drives fresh install upgrade to windows 8.1 all hell brakes loose crashes lockups and can't complete the upgrade, works fine if i just install windows 8 without upgrade can't blame that on drivers just plain bad testing QA need to fire the lot and get some proper testing done last 4 batches of updates where a flop with updates that needed patches to fix the problems they were causing.

Here, have some punctuation marks .,.,?!!!

Scibbo

Honorable
Nov 6, 2013
I had this as well but fixed it. 1 shut down system. 2. Remove ram. 3. Put ram back in. 4. Put BIOS in default. 5. Restart. 6. Put BIOS how u had it. 6. Restart. It should work no probe after that

Status
Not open for further replies.