Windows 8.1 flickering black screen on boot with cursor // unable to access safe mode

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jariic

Commendable
Sep 10, 2016
So, I downloaded some custom themes for Windows and it replaced some of the system files. But, when I went to play Squad (video game) it said something like: EAC Launch error "untrusted system file" explorerframe.dll so I knew that it didn't like it so I opened command prompt and typed in sfc /scannow to fix the "corrupted" files. It said that it had successfully fixed them and I needed to reboot, so I did that. As I watched it reboot it came up with MSI logo and then the black screen, I moved my cursor and it appeared but then it started flickering. Then, I restarted my computer thinking that it might need a couple of reboots but the same thing happened. I got no "Windows has failed to start" or anything like that, so I started to panic. I restarted and restarted until I finally reached that error screen. I entered command prompt and did the did the scan again, it said it had found and fixed corrupt files. Once again, I restarted my computer and AGAIN a black flickering screen. I restarted and restarted till I got to the windows error screen and went onto the safe mode option which then restarted my computer. I then had a load of options one was safe mode so I pressed the correct F (whatever number it was) but nothing happened, then I noticed the LEDs weren't on, my keyboard wasn't even on. After like 1 min my computer switched off. I did this about 4 times and I gave up. What am I supposed to do?

Solution
look at step 5 here and run the command in a command prompt with admin rights, and then run SFC again as I bet it finds files it can fix. DISM fixes the windows image file so if the theme had replaced the system files that SFC uses to compare/fix installed files, running it again after DISM may fix the problem.

I never had win 8 but if reset is the same was win 10, there are 2 kinds. Keep files/settings - this saves anything in library folders and logins, or wipe it all. Both reinstall windows like new again but it removes all programs so you would need to reinstall them again

Colif

Win 11 Master
look at step 5 here and run the command in a command prompt with admin rights, and then run SFC again as I bet it finds files it can fix. DISM fixes the windows image file so if the theme had replaced the system files that SFC uses to compare/fix installed files, running it again after DISM may fix the problem.

I never had win 8 but if reset is the same was win 10, there are 2 kinds. Keep files/settings - this saves anything in library folders and logins, or wipe it all. Both reinstall windows like new again but it removes all programs so you would need to reinstall them again

Solution