[SOLVED] Windows 8.1 on i7 9700k

Solution
They don't offer actual drivers from anything before Windows 10, so it's a crapshoot whether the motherboard will cooperate when used with a previous Windows. The bigger question would be: why? There are a few support and interface differences that make people have at least a theoretical reason to prefer Windows 7 (even if it's not a good idea), but you almost never see that about Windows 8.

DSzymborski

Titan
They don't offer actual drivers from anything before Windows 10, so it's a crapshoot whether the motherboard will cooperate when used with a previous Windows. The bigger question would be: why? There are a few support and interface differences that make people have at least a theoretical reason to prefer Windows 7 (even if it's not a good idea), but you almost never see that about Windows 8.

Reactions: Endre
Solution
Feb 2, 2021
I am starting to hate windows 10 after just 1 year of building my computer. Windows 10 has been unstable i have had to re-install windows 10 multiple times

Feb 2, 2021

Could i Install Windows 7????

logainofhades

Titan
I am starting to hate windows 10 after just 1 year of building my computer. Windows 10 has been unstable i have had to re-install windows 10 multiple times

Then you are doing something wrong, somewhere. What are the full system specs, of your system, including make/model, of the PSU? I have been using Win10, since launch, and it's been pretty stable. Only done reinstall, after system upgrades.

Reactions: Endre and Corwin65

logainofhades

Titan
If your install is unstable enough to need multiple reinstalls, there is some other problem.

I've had 10 installed on multiple systems, from Day 1. Never had any instability.

Yea the only issue I had was using a very old install version, when I switched to Ryzen. Did a fresh install, using the latest version, at the time, from the media creation tool, and 0 issues after that. Had a coworker that needed to to a bios update, just to get his 9700k to install Windows properly. It might have been a case of the version of windows was so new, that the bios update was required.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2021
Then you are doing something wrong, somewhere. What are the full system specs, of your system, including make/model, of the PSU? I have been using Win10, since launch, and it's been pretty stable. Only done reinstall, after system upgrades.
CPU: 7 9700k, CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO, Mobo: Asus Prime Z390-a, Case: Corsair 220t, PSU RMx850x Fully modular, Drives Samsung Evo 512 GB SSD (C DRIVE), Adata 256gb SSD, WD Purple 2tb, Seagate Barracuda 2tb, GPU Gigabyte RTX 2060 Super Windforce OC

Jacozeelie

Respectable
Mar 1, 2019

Install win 7 on z390 asus mobo

Feb 2, 2021

Endre

Reputable
What is there not to like about Windows 10?
It’s by far among the most stable and performant OS’s that Microsoft ever released!

Both Win 7 and Win 8 were worse than Win 10.

If you hate the look of the Win 10, you could install a theme pack to make it look different.

TRENDING THREADS