Windows 8.1 or Windows 8.1 Pro?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution

Neither one is "better" than the other, 8.1 Pro doesnt run faster or anything like that.
The difference between versions comes down to enabled features. From what I can tell, 8.1 Pro is more geared to business or IT professional usage. The main difference is networking features like being able to host remote desktop, some security like automatic encryption (which you can get 3rd party programs for anyway) and support for professional stuff like HyperV ( has to do with virtual machine's) and for dual CPU systems.

Unless your medium to high level in an IT department (in which case you should already know this), doing 3D rendering/extreme video editing on a large budget or...

alienworkshop

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
i already posted on this. read above. you can't benchmark real world performance. dude, that's a lie that you can't take "full" advantage of current hardware. how much security do you need? MOST tech went on with xp anyways so it's supported. as i said bill gates didn't want to release the vista or the new hd interface on the new os's and that's a fact. he didn't back up the new os's. that's a fact. there, that's factual enough that bill gates refused to release it and wanted to "extend" the life of xp even further. that already tells you common sense that it's better. but as a president once said "common sense is uncommon". also i have real world performance and the fact usafret doesn't want to comment on his lie tells you he's what? he's LYING. duh... you people are weird.

bdiddytampa

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012
To try to answer the OP's question, here is a list of what the different versions of Windows 8.1 do.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/enterprise/products-and-technologies/windows-8-1/compare/default.aspx

Take a look :) if you think you'd use the extra features in pro, go for it. If not save that $50 and get the regular version. Windows 8 is a perfectly good operating system, and once you set it up the way you want it, will work great for anything you need to use it for. Good luck, hope you find the information you need.

Neither one is "better" than the other, 8.1 Pro doesnt run faster or anything like that.
The difference between versions comes down to enabled features. From what I can tell, 8.1 Pro is more geared to business or IT professional usage. The main difference is networking features like being able to host remote desktop, some security like automatic encryption (which you can get 3rd party programs for anyway) and support for professional stuff like HyperV ( has to do with virtual machine's) and for dual CPU systems.

Unless your medium to high level in an IT department (in which case you should already know this), doing 3D rendering/extreme video editing on a large budget or paranoid enough to have everything on your machine encrypted, you dont need 8.1 Pro.

OK, we have your opinion. Thanks for your contribution on whether the OP should get 8.1 or 8.1Pro

Solution
Man of chalk nailed it.

There is so much ignorance in this thread that it's incredible. I'm not even going to touch the guy who is claiming that a wonderful, but now old and hole-riddled, operating system is faster.

However, the guy who thinks that "pro is SO much better" ...do you even have a clue what you're talking about? There are basically no differences between the two options, and what differences there are aren't going to matter to the average user.

iamtanz, you should buy this:
http://www.amazon.com/Windows-8-1-System-Builder-64-Bit/dp/B00F3ZN2W0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393221402&sr=8-1&keywords=windows+8+64+bit+oem

It's OEM, so it doesn't have pretty packaging, but is otherwise everything you need for the lowest price.

It is not possible to take advantage of modern hardware under Windows XP because Windows does not support virtualized graphics hardware (introduced with WDDM 1.0 in the Vista kernel) or the wider 256 bit vector operations as those register states are supported only in Windows 7 and beyond.

64 bit address spaces on XP are a nightmare to work with, drivers are hard to come by and support is thin. The only way to use more than 4GiB of memory is to use unsupported kernel hacks that cause tons of problems.

The TCP/IP stack in Windows XP is vastly inferior in terms of performance to the one in Vista and beyond.

Call someone a liar again and you'll be taking a vacation

alienworkshop

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
so you nitpicked one or two things that don't even matter. so what. big deal. he was lying though, and now your trying to justify it? yes, he's a LIAR! yeah, that's right, i said that. lol. your just as bad as him for justifying his lie, and that he's a liar. and 64 bit doesn't even matter. your smoking some delusional stuff obviously. maybe YOU need a vacation. i know more stuff that works on xp then the new os's. so your actually LYING in your intent to justify nit picked stuff. your intention is wrong. i never even mentioned that. so your a LIAR basically. lol.

and the banhammer smites another!

Status
Not open for further replies.