windows 8.1 usb 3 code 10 {Operation Failed} The requested operation was unsuccessful

jinxson008

Reputable
Jan 6, 2015
Hi,

My ASUS N56VV USB 3 ports stopped working. My mouse and Flash Drives can't be read by the USB ports. When I plug in my mouse, it just lights up for a few seconds then turn off and any flash drives I plug in can't be detected. I was already using windows 8.1 for a long time when that happened. When I checked the device manager, a yellow triangle appeared on my intel usb3 extensible host controller with the device status of:

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

{Operation Failed}
The requested operation was unsuccessful.

I searched for a driver for the usb 3 but haven't found any even on the intel and asus' site. I tried uninstalling the driver then rebooting my computer but nothing happened the yellow triangle is still there. I also tried updating the driver but windows told me that my driver for the usb3 is the latest. Upon further research I've found out that Intel have no drivers for USB3 and is already available in Windows 8 installation. I then restored my laptop to its factory settings in the hopes of windows installing the proper driver but still the yellow triangle remains and the USB ports still aren't working. When I restored my laptop to its factory settings, my windows downgraded to 8. I then tried a solution from PLUGABLE (http://plugable.com/2012/12/01/windows-8-and-intel-usb-3-0-host-controllers/comment-page-4) but still failed because the first part of this fix resulted in an "installation not completed" (can't remember the exact error but it's sort of like that).

When the update for 8.1 came up, I tried upgrading my laptop in the hopes that it will resolve the issue but it didn't. What changed is the name of the controller -- it became USB xHCI Compliant Host Controller.

I have this problem for weeks now and can't find any solution.

Thanks.

jinxson008

Reputable
Jan 6, 2015
Hi all,

I've consulted with an expert in computer stuff and he told me that 2 of my USB ports that I usually use are causing this problem. They are a bit loose and sometimes the pins aren't touching each other. The only solution was to use the other 2 USB ports and avoiding to use the other two that were causing the problem. A clean install of windows is needed though to fix the driver problem.