Windows 8 by 2012 as Shown on Microsoft Slide

Status
Not open for further replies.

jarnail24

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008
Hey if you think the world will end I'll buy all your stuff for a dollar since you'll be dead anyway and you won't need it right?

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]holy[/nom]About that:http://msftkitchen.com/2009/08/win [...] -2012.html[/citation]
Haha I was thinking that too right when I read that sentence! I remembered seeing this very same diagram a few months back, so I was a little surprised that Tom's would run this story like it was a big announcement made today by MS. Sheesh!

Drag0nR1der

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
So, a few months after Mr Ballmer says in an interview that they are looking at a 3 ywar period between windows 7 and 8, it appears on a slide, shockingly, scheduled for 2012, 3 years after the windows 7 release... sooo... no plans have changed, all is carrying on as we've been told... what's next? "Today we learnt that water is still wet, ice cream melts whilst you eat try and eat it, and that Adam Sandler is still annoying as hell." y Msftkitchen could have saved a lot of bother by, you know, just looking at the same news as we all do.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
Read the first commentators article. This is a server edition not a desktop edition. Considering the last server edition was released in 2008 and they release a new one every 3-4 years this is right on par with the Standard Microsoft release schedule.

gorehound

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
i was sticking with my XP SP3 till next year sometime.Sounds like it might not be worth loading up win 7 and seeing it works with all the software i use.by the time that is running and running for not a long time this new windows will just come right out.

Gin Fushicho

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
Even Microsoft is ready to die when the time comes! But die with lots and LOTS of money! =D

But seriously... just because the planets align with the Milky way does not mean we die.

cryogenic

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
[citation][nom]warezme[/nom]Code name Maya, the last version of windows you will need.[/citation]

Why would you ever need a "last" version of windows, until 2012 lot's of things will change, new hardware, more cloud computing, more web services, tons of new devices (think Natal) ...

You don't have to upgrade Windows every cycle, but that doesn't mean there won't be new things for Microsoft to add to the OS.

G

im glad to see microsoft taking the initiative in progressing and bettering their product

G

That release timing is great for me, Summer 08 built Vista PC, Summer 2010 Windows 7 PC, Summer 2012 Windows 8 PC... nice.

I wonder what Apple will be releasing around that time, will Steve Jobs be gone and OSX available for all x86 based hardware...

carl0ski

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
Personally this makes me nervous about using Windows 7 in Corporate.
Windows 8 by names convention means new product no an update.
Making windows 7 to 8 the equivilent of jumping from

Windows 98 to NT5.0 (windows 2000/XP)
Windows NT 4.0 to NT 5.0 (windows 2000/XP)
Windows 5.0 to NT 6.0 (Windows Vista NT 6.1/7.0 Windows 7)

These were all nightmarish upgrades lost compatibility and software, will NT 8.0 have the same consequences?
Windows NT 7.0 (Windows 7 is NT 6.1 updated Vista called 7.0 for the hell of it) -> NT 8.0 (Windows 8)

wenty

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
Wonder if businesses are going to be liking updating their OS ever couple years. Seems like a pain in the ass if you ask me.

city_zen

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Cryogenic[/nom]Why would you ever need a "last" version of windows, until 2012 lot's of things will change, new hardware, more cloud computing, more web services, tons of new devices (think Natal) ... You don't have to upgrade Windows every cycle, but that doesn't mean there won't be new things for Microsoft to add to the OS.[/citation]

You didn't get it. It was a joke (well, it tried to be at least) about the whole Mayan-2012-End of the World nonsense

Status
Not open for further replies.