Windows 8 Consumer Preview on Feb 29, Claims Invitation

Status
Not open for further replies.
At first I thought the change from Windows 7 to 8 came rather quickly. Had to stop and think about it. Figured out I've been using Win 7 for almost 4 years.

I read about the start button being removed. Might not be that bad since all a user has to do is move a cursor down to the bottom left corner of the screen to where the start button is located. I wonder if Microsoft removed clicking to pop open the menu.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]JohnnyLucky[/nom]At first I thought the change from Windows 7 to 8 came rather quickly. Had to stop and think about it. Figured out I've been using Win 7 for almost 4 years.I read about the start button being removed. Might not be that bad since all a user has to do is move a cursor down to the bottom left corner of the screen to where the start button is located. I wonder if Microsoft removed clicking to pop open the menu.[/citation]

how often does an os need a change? realistically, microsoft sells new oses every day, so the money stream may not be the best, but they still make money off the os, supporting the os is also something major... perhaps something like dlc for the os... if xp 64 had the driver support of 7 and ssd capabilities, i would have stuck with xp, and i would have payed extra for those functions.

i mean realistically, there was no need to change the user interface from xp to 7, and all the changes they made were for change sake, not because they needed to... and in quite a few cases, i dont like it and would rather have xp over 7... but 8gb ram and a 120gb ssd forced me to move to 7.

its not bad but every day i use it i am reminded constantly of functions they removed for no reason.

jackbling

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]how often does an os need a change? realistically, microsoft sells new oses every day, so the money stream may not be the be....[/citation]

Windows 7 ui is far more efficient; the seconds you save in mouse clicks between things like instant search and pinning items to the taskbar, to name a couple, is invaluable. For anyone who makes heavy use of rdp, the win7 ui is worlds better. not to mention powershell.

The time i save with a more effective win7 ui can now be wasted posting comments, looking at cat pictures, and playing games. At this point, xp feels dated and cumbersome.

cold fire

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
[citation][nom]irh_1974[/nom]If they remove the Start button, what will the Windows key on the keyboard do?[/citation]
It will magically disappear.

erunion

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
[citation][nom]irh_1974[/nom]If they remove the Start button, what will the Windows key on the keyboard do?[/citation]
On the developer preview its a home button. Takes you to metro screen.

irh_1974

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
[citation][nom]erunion[/nom]On the developer preview its a home button. Takes you to metro screen.[/citation]
Damn, I was hoping they would wire it to the nuclear missiles instead

As it is, the start button in the dev prev is useless--if you click on it the button immediately removes you from the desktop and dumps you into the metro interface. I am uncertain how to shutdown from Metro. So the start button does nothing it was ever associated with previously. Actually it doesn't do anything now.

If you hover over the start button a few options pop up, but none of them involve programs. from the pop up menu you can choose "settings" which allows you to do the old operations, restart, shutdown, etc.

Removing the start button altogether is a dumb idea. And why require extra button presses or clicks to shutdown? That is just over-complicating things that should be more intuitive..

Same thing, the windows button simply toggles between desktop and Metro. It will allow you to return to the desktop from a program running in full window however. So it is mostly the same as before.

Using Metro is a pain for a desktop user it is not very ergonomic with you having to keep on hitting the windows key to get back to the Metro interface from full screen apps. i prefer to just use the mouse as in the current version of Windows as I have to sit up to reach the keyboard.

[citation][nom]pjmelect[/nom]Using Metro is a pain for a desktop user it is not very ergonomic with you having to keep on hitting the windows key to get back to the Metro interface from full screen apps. i prefer to just use the mouse as in the current version of Windows as I have to sit up to reach the keyboard.[/citation]

yea metro will be crap for desktops and laptops with no touch screen. but with the AIO systems it could work well

compton

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Every day I use Windows 7, my appreciation of it grows. From keyboard shortcuts to the TRIM command, from better drivers to the Start menus's search box. Win 7 isn't perfect, but I'll be damned if I can figure out how to improve it.

I guess the real question MS should be asking is, how the hell do people get shit done on a tablet? Why should we steer the Windows ship into the shoals of tablet-ism?

The best thing MS could do for me is offer a "Win 7 mode" in Windows 8.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
At least you can disable the Metro UI completely with the toggle of a single registry key. Even on my Touch screen windows tablet, I find the Metro UI worthless without the ability to restart or sleep the PC.

JohnUSA

Distinguished
May 14, 2008
Microsoft MUST provide a permanent option to disable the Metro feature for desktop users and non touch screen users. Users do not need the headaches and inconveniences to keep juggling between Metro and Desktop.
If MS wants to offer us a single OS to run both options, then they better provide a permanent solution to their users.
If they don't then they are going to anger many users and alienate them by preventing users to upgrade. The word will get around quickly to stay away from Windows 8.
Microsoft better act smart or they will be big losers.

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
Same thing it does now, absolutely nothing

I think the standard keyboard is long overdue for an overhaul. There is no real need for a windows key, or a function key, or any of the F1-12 keys either. Eliminating these useless keys and remapping whatever prior functions they had to other keys could save a lot of space for laptops or newer tablets that could definitely use it.

would you mind telling the class what is wrong with windows 8? oh you don't know? well that not surprising coming from one of the morons that bashed vista when there was nothing wrong with it to begin with

clivene09

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]would you mind telling the class what is wrong with windows 8? oh you don't know? well that not surprising coming from one of the morons that bashed vista when there was nothing wrong with it to begin with[/citation]

I think he is referring to the every other cycle Microsoft has had with Windows. 98 was good ME was crap XP was good Vista was crap, 7 was good, so many people are already thinking that 8 will be crap.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
I'm not sure I'll even miss the start button. I don't really use it much anyway. But that being said - if search is as bad as it is in windows 7, we'll NEED it to find the programs we use infrequently.

I'm not sure my grandma or my parents could live without it. But I'm launching games from their respective binaries or thru steam anyway - and the number of none game related apps I use are probably single digit ... chrome, memory editor, ventrilo, winamp, media player classic .... can't think of anything else atm.

Status
Not open for further replies.