Windows 8 custom build crashing

stiggybr0

Honorable
Nov 25, 2013
My custom windows 8 pro 64 bit pc crashes after installing all of the motherboard disc drivers, and then gets stuck in an "your computer ran into a problem" blue screen restart loop. I've tried reinstalling windows 8 several times and even burned a new iso at 4x speed because i thought maybe the previous disc was corrupted. The product key i have is definitely legitimate as I was just using it on a laptop recently.

Here's what I have in my build:
asus z87 plus motherboard: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z87PLUS/

corsair 4gb 1333 memory: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145278&Tpk=corsair%20cmv4gx3m2a1333c9

haswell 4670k i5
thermaltake toughpower 750w psu
1TB 7200rpm hdd that was just working great on a previous build - I just upgraded the motherboard and processor. seagate i think, i can double check
Havent even tried putting a gpu in yet

The motherboard was crashing previously saying it was receiving a power surge, but I read somewhere to just disable that protection in the bios. Did that, and I also tried a different wall outlet. It was previously crashing midway through windows 8 automatic repair and refresh, but after disabling the power surge feature in the bios it was able to make it through. Automatic repair was unable to repair. I don't know why I would have to refresh with nothing but drivers installed - I dban'd the hard drive before even starting this, so I'm convinced there's no way its a system error, but correct me if I'm wrong.

The RAM should be fine too as it was working in the previous build - is there a compatibility issue with the mobo or haswell that i am overlooking?

I also disabled the c6/c7 stuff for the cpu power management in the bios - didn't really know what i was doing here but kinda got desperate. The PSU is supposed to be 100% compatible with haswell but this is still crashing anyways.

I am lead to believe that there is some issue with the motherboard or the drivers but I really just don't know. I've built and troubleshooted so many builds but this one is just stumping me and I'm incredibly busy right now and don't really have time to keep researching like I normally would (this is the first time i've ever posted in a tech forum). Any help would be so very much appreciated. Thanks!

Solution

May well be that disabling the Surge Protection is masking a PSU problem. If your System will run in, say, Safe Mode, then try d'loading and installing Speccy to monitor your Rail volts. Might give you an indication as to whether the PSU is stable or otherwise...
The one fact that stands out is the 'power surge' crashing, would indicate a mobo problem to me. Also by 'dban'd
I assume you installed windows to Unallocated Space. If not, (I'm unfamiliar with 'dban') then delete any partitions using 'Drive Options (advanced)' to ensure a clean install.

stiggybr0

Honorable
Nov 25, 2013

May well be that disabling the Surge Protection is masking a PSU problem. If your System will run in, say, Safe Mode, then try d'loading and installing Speccy to monitor your Rail volts. Might give you an indication as to whether the PSU is stable or otherwise.

http://download.cnet.com/Speccy/3000-2094_4-75181811.html

Solution