Windows 8 Finally Hits General Availability

Status
Not open for further replies.

XD_dued

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
I got it for free through my school so figured why not.

Overall, feels more responsive and smoother than windows 7, and some new features are nice.

But in general, there's too much disparity between the regular desktop and the start screen...applications between the two don't flow together well.

But...maybe it'll grow on me.

deejaybos

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
i was even considering purchasing when i found out that the retail version is ONLY available as an upgrade install from a previous windows install. they don't even have a full version to install onto a clean hard drive. the only way to do that is with an OEM copy, but then you get all sorts of issues when you want to install a new piece of hardware. Guess they lose another possible customer on that front.

tydalwave

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2006
I've spent $40 at JR Rockers the other day on base, $40 for Windows 8? I'll give it a try. The research I've done shows most of the people who actually gave Windows 8 a decent try, ended up liking it. Downloading it now...

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
I used win8 in all it's development stages on a virtual machine, and each time I use it for about a day or so and end up deleteing the virtual machine...

It just isn't meant for a desktop...

ihavenoid4u

Honorable
May 5, 2012
seen so many at windows store today, was very pleased. hope MS has success with win8 & products. apple store surprisinly didnt have tha tmany ppl

G

I just love it..I am using Windows 8 for more than a month(leaked RTM,and i even activated it)

InvalidError

Titan
I was considering getting the Win8 upgrade... but if the upgrade cannot install to a clean HDD, I think I'll pass. Not interested in wasting hours re-installing XP or Vista before re-installing Win8 in the future.

deejaybos

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
[citation][nom]InvalidError[/nom]I was considering getting the Win8 upgrade... but if the upgrade cannot install to a clean HDD, I think I'll pass. Not interested in wasting hours re-installing XP or Vista before re-installing Win8 in the future.[/citation]

see my comment above...

I tried win8RP and CP, and they were OK, then when I got RTM I was finally happy with the improvements they made and I have been running it since Aug 1st when it became available. It is not perfect, but most definitely faster than win7. I spend most of my time in the desktop mode though, and rarely have to ever see the start screen except when I want to use a metro app.

I purchased a copy of win8 for my touch screen netbook because win8 is sweet on a touch screen, but am waiting to see how WP8 is before I purchase for everything else. $40 is a great price, but it gets pricey when you need 4 copies to get everything updated. To me it is worth it if everything is going to be running a similar interface... not so worth it if I end up going with an android phone.

BTW: Microcenter has the disc copy (both 32 and 64bit in 1 box) for $40 instead of the $70 that everyone else has it for. It is fine to DL it and burn it to a disc or flash drive, but for the same price you may as well grab a physical copy.

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
[citation][nom]deejaybos[/nom]i was even considering purchasing when i found out that the retail version is ONLY available as an upgrade install from a previous windows install. they don't even have a full version to install onto a clean hard drive. the only way to do that is with an OEM copy, but then you get all sorts of issues when you want to install a new piece of hardware. Guess they lose another possible customer on that front.[/citation]
I dont' know if this applies to Win 8 or not, but you can usually do a full install to a clean disk with an upgrade version. I've done it with Win7 Home Prem and Win 7 Pro

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
No issue with Windows 8 at all.

Do all of the Windows 8 haters come together on this one page to slag it off? This seems to be, literally, the one place where the negativity sits.

P.s. From November onwards I'll be installing Windows 8 company wide and I expect next to no problems from staff or machines. Why not? There's literally ONLY the charms menu to show and they'll be working as they did before (Based on the four people testing within work).

Woulff

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2005
I've had the enterprise version version and I'm enjoying it. At first I thought "what the...", but once I learned how to navigate, I'm enjoying it. It's fast and all my games run on it. I have had some issues with IE10 compatibility on a few sites but that can be fixed by using another browser.

I'm going to upgrade my families PC's tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.