Windows 8 Finally Passes Windows Vista in Market Share

Status
Not open for further replies.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
"Windows 8 market share currently sits at 5.1 percent, while Windows Vista accounts for 4.62 percent of the market. This is compared to 4.51 percent for Windows Vista and 4.27 percent for Windows 8 in May."

WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT. You're telling me Vista market share went UP?!

PedanticNo1

Honorable
May 3, 2013
I wonder how it must feel to see the latest and greatest one's company has to offer being so thoroughly ignored. It's really pathetic that Microsoft tried to have its way with our wallets without even bothering to court us (no start button!? What kind of cheap whore do you take me for?)

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Considering 8 hasn't been retail for a full year yet, it's not as bad as it could be. That being said, there's a long way to go for 8. I for one still believe Windows 8 to be a worthwhile next step in the evolution of the Windows OS. The biggest question is what happens to all those people on XP. It's not too difficult to find 7 now if you still want 7, but it is certainly going to be easier to find 8. How many of those XP users will switch to another OS at all, let alone 7 or 8 next year when XP support ends? I think in all honesty there is still time to see what 8 will do. It's still a little too soon to write it off completely.

Osmin

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
As long as new pc's are sold with Windows 8, the market share can only go up over time. What a success for Microsoft to have 5.1% market share after selling Windows 8 for $49 or less during the first three months of the launch date. People are craving to have the Windows 8 experience.

Asok Smith

Honorable
Apr 22, 2013
Wow! What an "achievement"! Surpassing Vista, one of Microsoft's worst operating systems ever. AND it took only NINE months!

At it's current adoption rate, Windows 8.xxxx will be very lucky to have 20% by the time Windows 9 rolls out! Clearly, this is an EXTREMELY poor showing compared to even the execrable Vista when you consider practically the only Windows PCs available to retail consumers for nine months have been Windows 8 machines, not to mention these numbers INCLUDE Windows 8 slabs, a category not available to Vista when it was being adopted.

Bringing back the Start Button that does nothing more than provide yet one more means to take one back to the hated, productivity-killing, single-window, no-taskbar, touchy-feely, flashy-blinky Metro UI screen instead of actually restoring the Start Menu is hardly addressing the issue. It's more like a spit in the face to Microsoft's remaining PC users.

Windows 8.xxxxxxx still doesn't have a snowball's chance in Hades of being adopted by the enterprise and SMB. That well has already poisoned, not to mention the fact that IT folks at these places aren't fooled by nonsense like Ballmer's "refined blend", which sounds like it was lifted from a bad 1970's TV ad for instant coffee crystals or a "premium" motor oil.

The "refined blend" of Windows 8.1 is akin to Coke "refining" New Coke by "blending" half original Coke and half New Coke and putting it in new cans and telling their customers that they were "listening" to them! Microsoft's users can tell the difference between a kick in the teeth and actually being listened to. This "refined blend" is being NOT listened to and it is NOT going to go well at all for Microsoft.

The enterprise and SMB are still going to skip Windows 8.xxxxxxxx just like they did with Vista and hope Microsoft comes to their senses with Windows 9 after Ballmer is fired. And if Microsoft still insists on shoveling out cell-phone operating systems on the PC after Windows 8.xxxxxxxxxx, then the enterprise and SMB will start to seriously look at non-Microsoft alternatives.

videobear

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
I would agree with Asok Smith, except for one thing: the hardware platforms the world uses are changing. Windows 8 is a lousy OS, if you are using a traditional desktop PC (which, personally, I prefer.) But it's a much better OS if you are using a portable, touch-enabled device like a tablet. And for everyday use, people are starting to head in that direction.

Osmin

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
Just because someone buys a new PC with Windows 8 does not mean they are happy with the new experience. How many people avoid Metro apps and install third party software to bring back the desktop productive environment. Microsoft could have easily transitioned users to the Metro apps if those apps ran in a window just like ordinary programs for non touch environments. They just want to sell apps and convince PC users to buy Window 8 Phones and Tablets, but this may have turned away many potential customers. Windows 8 works fine for touch tablets, laptops, and phones but the desktop user will never enjoy a touch based tailored environment. Raising your hands to large displays is uncomfortable and a mouse centric tailored environment is essential. You can say Microsoft want to kill the dektop but that is where gamers and techies thrive.

codo

Honorable
May 5, 2012
You are a completely ignorant moron if you are still crying about the start button. Windows 8 is great

hallby81

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2011
Codo and Lt_Dan, you both sound like Surface users. The only way I made Win 8 bearable on my work laptop was to install Classic Shell. All MS had to do was add a teeny weeny radio button or check box that would disable the Metro UI or re enable it. I mean we should be allowed to CHOOSE what UI we want to deal with right?

Bill Wendel

Distinguished
May 7, 2013
I wonder if these market share calculations take into effect what manufacturers are buying to sell or what the actual consumer is purchasing. I know most consumers are unhappy with Windows 8 just like with Windows Vista when that was the newest operating system. And just like with Windows Vista, Windows 8 users in-the-know are getting their computers "downgraded" back to the previous operating system. So the purchases of Windows 8 isn't taking into account the number of users that are downgrading. Take into account that most existing Windows 8 users that don't know how to downgrade are simply unhappy and you'll find Vista is probably still more popular than 8.

bluestar2k11

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
I'm curious to see the numbers of win8 use on just desktop/laptops. Excluding all phone and tablet use. That would be a little more fair to compare to vista, 7 and xp, and I'd bet it would look a lot different. (I'd say around 2.4%)

wydileie

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Vista was far from a terrible OS, it was a terribly marketed OS. Microsoft did not do a good job of explaining that Vista required a new-ish computer and that your old 2003 XP machines could not handle the load.

If you had a new computer with 2GB+ of ram at the time, it ran great. It's security was way better then XP, and marked the first time MS surpassed OSX in security.

Speaking to W8, I am a tech user and I like W8. As I explain to pretty much everyone who is too stubborn to actually take 30 minutes of their time to learn a new OS, treat the Metro screen like a full sized Start Menu and you will be MORE productive. Learn some keyboard shortcuts and you will be MORE productive. Just because you are lazy doesn't mean W8 is a bad OS, and because you are lazy you should want to learn W8 because it will save you time in the long run.

powerincarnate

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
It's funny, I have Windows 8 on my desktop, windows 7 on my laptop and one of my work laptops, windows vista in one of my brother's laptops, and windows xp on several work laptops. I interchangeably go from one to another and almost never notices a difference, especially XP-vista-7. the one thing that gets me with XP the most (i don't use my brothers vista much, so I can't use this as an example) is when I need to put two excel or word documents or webpages on the screen, I'm can't just slide them to the write and have it take half the screen.

Other than that, I'm good. I play games 95% on my windows 8 desktop, with occasionally on the win 7 laptop, other than a massive difference in GPU and CPU power, nothings change.

This windows 8 hatred is the biggest load of garbage i've seen in a long time.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
Attention Windows 8 Shoppers. Windows 8 wouldn't even be 2.5 percent market share if it wasn't for the fact that they have completely pulled Windows 7 from the shelves. They are forcing it down your throat to all the new PC builders and retail PC's. They never did that with Vista so in all reality Vista more than tripled it sales on it's own without being forced down your throat like thay are with Windows 8. They are so shameful, and now their at it with Xbone, makeing people buy kinect as a bundle only. They reak nasty smell within.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
Attention Windows 8 Shoppers. Windows 8 wouldn't even be 2.5 percent market share if it wasn't for the fact that they have completely pulled Windows 7 from the shelves. They are forcing it down your throat to all the new PC builders and retail PC's. They never did that with Vista so in all reality Vista more than tripled it sales on it's own without being forced down your throat like thay are with Windows 8. They are so shameful, and now their at it with Xbone, makeing people buy kinect as a bundle only. They reak nasty smell within.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
The time it took you to moan about the Start menu you could have downloaded and installed Classic Shell, your moan isn't about the Start menu at all, you are just too lazy to do it yourself and expect MS to coddle you. Using Windows has always required additional input from users to make it 'just right' and anyone who uses the vanilla install with no alterations is either a liar or an idiot.

sobok27

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2011
No one has pulled windows 7 off the shelf! you can still buy a brand spanking new copy's at most online retailer's. Box store's have probably just decided to stop carrying old software. Time to move on peeps

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
The time it took you to moan about the Start menu you could have downloaded and installed Classic Shell, your moan isn't about the Start menu at all, you are just too lazy to do it yourself and expect MS to coddle you. Using Windows has always required additional input from users to make it 'just right' and anyone who uses the vanilla install with no alterations is either a liar or an idiot.

Status
Not open for further replies.