Windows 8 Goes RTM: Last Milestone Before October Release

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
[citation][nom]cwolf78[/nom]I have never heard so many people whine and bitch before. Stick with Win 7 for now, but when "desktop" apps go the way of the dinosaurs, then what? "I'll switch to a different OS!!" Yeah... right. Sure you will. Then most of your app compatibility will go out the window. For those thinking that Win 9 will bring back the start menu, consider this: By that time nearly all monitors will be multi-touch... so what would be the point? Using a crippled and inferior way to get to your apps with no at-a-glance live tiles? Face it, this is the future.[/citation]
It's the future because someone or some company told us it was? what happened to personal freedom?

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
[citation][nom]M1n3Kraft[/nom]Never before have I seen more whining about something you wont even use.If your going to use Windows 7, well then great for you. Don't go on Win8 articles and start bitching about how its bad or horrible. Just don't use it, okay? Microsoft doesn't give a damn from your asinine whining. I myself will be upgrading from Vista to Windows 8. Dunno about you guys, but i'm going to enjoy Metro and hardware accel. Downvote this, I don't care. You people just act like children.[/citation]
Well, when we got a company who actively tries to force it or isolate us, yes we have a right to complain

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]fayzaan[/nom]Dude, I don't see what the big deal is about start menu, it just slows things down having to go through that stupid menu. Especially when you're trying to navigate and if your mouse moves out of the sub menu area you gotta go back under the sub menu again. Shortcuts are much better, faster access for day to day stuff. Who likes going through a list when you probably use like 5-6 programs on a day to day basis. Honestly, with Windows 7 I would pin my most used apps on the taskbar itself.[/citation]

So going through metro jamming your mouse to the corner waiting for the scroll bar to appear to scroll to your programs don't take 3 extra steps to get to your programs vs going to start all programs that takes two steps to do? lol

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
... em... it will be a good year for google and apple... say what you will, but windows 8 will alienate so many windows users, that used it from '95 onwards... it is a multitasking nightmare... two UI's on a desktop... zune with metro UI failed to compete with iPod, windows mobile is failed to compete with already matured iOS and android platforms and windows 8 will damage the success of windows platform... and again, the failed metro UI...

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]cwolf78[/nom]I have never heard so many people whine and bitch before. Stick with Win 7 for now, but when "desktop" apps go the way of the dinosaurs, then what? "I'll switch to a different OS!!" Yeah... right. Sure you will. Then most of your app compatibility will go out the window. [/citation]
Since Metro Apps don't run on "windows" and are not Windows Apps... then why the hell would we go Metro? I do believe there are far more Linux APPLCIATIONS / Programs than Metro.

Listen to your self "Go with metro to be compatible with dead Windows apps that won't run on metro".

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]lradunovic77[/nom]Windows 8 -> Disaster. Did you guys see screenshot of RTM version including Desktop. UI is fucked beyond anything which makes it unusable for my standards. Windows 7 compared to Windows 8 looks like Windows 8 was developed 15 years ago.[/citation] Do a google image search on AmigaOS 3.5 (1992 era OS) or even AmiagaOS 4.0 (early 2000s). The reason we had 16 color desktops (which was quite nice back then) was because that IS what the hardware could handle!

Around 1990, with an OS upgrade - I was able to run my 1986 Amiga 1000 in 8 colors (up from 4) because he OS was that good. It would do 16, but it was too slow. When I went to Amiga 3000 in 1992, I ran a 16 color desktop and was in hog-heaven. This HUGE mono-color metro crap is plain stupid for the desktop. Its very good for the phone, but even still - most people don't like the metro interface on the WP7/8! They sure as hell not going to like it on the desktop.

My God, Microsoft has gone FULL Apple! Don't go full Apple! (In reference to the movie: Tropic Thunder in which an actor went "full retard") Yep, MS has decided to out-idiot-proof Apple and this is what we get... I'm going Linux when Windows7 gets old in a few years. Bu-bye!

Other than a few Windows Programs, LinuxMint will do everything I need.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]Yeah, the future is me waving my arms all over my three displays three feet in front of me, for hours at a time.[/citation] I'm with you there brother. Notice how MS talked about how good Metro is to navigate?!

"Press Windows-D to get to X, or press Windows-N to do Z" er... How do you do that with a fucking touch-screen? They also changed a few of the Windows-Key commands... that should go over well. Its like every shitty Microsoft keyboard in the world with its re-defined F1-F12 keys that you have to UNLOCK after boot up. Not only that, MS is coming out with Windows8 keyboards with HOT keys.

SO! You get this shit Touch-based User Interface, that works like shit with a mouse, but use keyboard short-cuts to change modes and switch tasks "easily" while using your fingers at other times... making your 24" screen a bigger mess than any tablet in the world?! Keyboard / mouse / touch - WHAT THE HELL?!

A different example: Yahoo has a new video player... but get this, if you press ? key on your keyboard while typing a blog comment, the Video Help menu pops up and you're thrown out of the text window (without the ?) Press Shift-Space and the video will pause or unpause. = Designed by the same idiots.

MS: "We made Windows 8 easier by removing the Start Button, but really we just hid it and made it a sliver area you are supposed to hunt with your mouse OR FINGER to find to get to the START SCREEN"

By the way, the Windows Key works differently depending on what APP is running. It doesn't always toggle between metro and the desktop, wow -random chairs there!

[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]As for Live Tiles being the future, consider this: Metro's been available on WP7 for 16 months now, and it failed as much as something can fail with the 2-3% market share or whatever point they're floundering at.[/citation] WP7 has NOT surpassed 2% of the market (All WindowsPhones combined = 3~4%) The thing is, live tiles makes so much sense with a phone. I run Launcher7 on my Android phone, I can glance and see how many TEXT / email / Phone calls are missed or waiting to be read. I like the bigger buttons. It works very much like Metro for Desktops.

I see now why the function cannot be made to look GOOD on the desktop as well. Windows8... looks like crap. If I wanted an 80s looking interface, I'd go back to my Amigas as my main computer.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
"Don't use Metro if you don't wan to" oh yeah, how? Unless its pinned to your Taskbar, you are going to metro. Some settings, takes you to metro. Some default files, takes you to metro. Charms are stupid on the desktop. The pop up when you DON'T want them and they don't show up when YOU DO!

"Live tiles are powerful / Gadgets removed from Win7 and Win8" - great, the good ones are useful on the desktop. Live tiles are USELESS since you cannot SEE THEM in desktop mode! DUH, STUPID! And when you are in a metro APP, you still cannot see the LIVE TILES! Hence, they are useless for a desktop computer.

3rd: A tablet / Phone is a media consuming device. I look up movie info, GPS info, take photos, make phone calls, browse the net with these devices. A COMPUTER is not needed for such things... hence, a full-retard OS is NOT needed for the Desktop/Notebook computer, what idiots!

My mother can't deal with computers, its sad and stupid and people older than her can. The only thing I can get her to use sometimes is the iPad. The interface works easy for such users. This won't improve the desktop experience. Both Apple and Google have said their research has already shown that it would be a BAD idea.

Keep in mind, the WP8 devices will be running a version of WART, the NT kernal/OS on a phone?! Wow, just the sort of thing a phone needs!

Microsoft goons talk about "the excitement" of Windows 8 as they hype up the turd. This WILL be exciting! I want and hope MS experiences the full force of glorious failure. It will be such a turn off, they may never recover. We lose confidence in their ability to make their own OS... and move on. Hopefully some it not many of their customers stick on ChromeOS onto computers, they might as well. ChromeOS will run on just about anything... and its free.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
You know, if win 8 actually does well, it'll be a huge slap on the face for all of us complaining about Metro (including myself). :lol:

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
True Ojas, True. I'm guessing MS is counting on the PAINFUL changes we went through in the past:
MS-DOS > Windows95. (Windows 3 was never an Operating System, it was a shell on top of DOS)
PnP (Plug N Pray was a nightmare - killed 2 keyboards from Win95 nightmares. Win95 was SOO bad, it was considered NORMAL to do a clean-reinstall every 6 months or so. By the time we hit Win98, I had put Win98 on the HD so I could install from a 2nd partition onto the C:, then I was shown GHOST)

Windows98se > XP (Dealing with the OCP / activation / more control from MS themselves SP2+ good)

XP > Vista Vista wasn't hated because it looked different, it was just a skin job with new way of handling graphics. It drank memory like a horse. System requirements were too high with $100 per GB memory prices back then. Until SP2, it ran like crap... won't shut down, won't wake up, ugh. Unpacking ZIP files were about 10x slower than XP. Timed this myself! 22min vs 20seconds.

But THERE is the big difference from 6, 10 and 15 years ago... WE HAVE A CHOICE!
iPad and Android has shown many people that THEY DON'T NEED Windows. Most of us don't. And even by MS's own hand - they have pretty much chocked PC gaming to death (Halo 3, 4, OSD / Gears of War 2 and 3 for Windows anyone?! ). I'm going console. I don't need $250+ gaming cards for games that are not there or look much difference than the consoles.

I considered going Apple OSX... but I don't want an AIO computer and the $2500 desktop is crazy. Their notebooks are priced a tad on the high side, but hey - they sell and costs the same as the ThinkPads I sell to clients ($1200~2000).

Windows 8, made me download LinuxMint...

I hope these partners are ready to start selling ChromeOS PCs pretty soon.

Cost for WIndows 8 = $40~65~80~120~300.. hell, nobody really knows. Anything more than a $1 is too much. LinuxMint = $0. No upgrade versions, no Pro version, No OEM version. Just choose 32 or 64bit and download.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I'll buy Windows 8 for full price the moment they disable Metro UI and add a Start button. I don't see that happening, though. Guess I'll be looking forward to Windows 9, instead...maybe.

[citation][nom]M1n3Kraft[/nom]Never before have I seen more whining about something you wont even use.If your going to use Windows 7, well then great for you. Don't go on Win8 articles and start bitching about how its bad or horrible. Just don't use it, okay? Microsoft doesn't give a damn from your asinine whining. I myself will be upgrading from Vista to Windows 8. Dunno about you guys, but i'm going to enjoy Metro and hardware accel. Downvote this, I don't care. You people just act like children.[/citation]

Couldn't agree more +1000

[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]I'll buy Windows 8 for full price the moment they disable Metro UI and add a Start button. I don't see that happening, though. Guess I'll be looking forward to Windows 9, instead...maybe.[/citation]

Then you will find something else to bitch about, the shade of colour, that it doesnt work with hardware from the 90's, is too light on hardware whatever the excuse is

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]I'll buy Windows 8 for full price the moment they disable Metro UI and add a Start button. I don't see that happening, though. Guess I'll be looking forward to Windows 9, instead...maybe.[/citation]
... agree...

killbits

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
i dont have anything against building a better os for tablets/touchscreen devices, but why mess with a perfectly good ui for desktops? the only way i'll be upgrading is if windows 8 somehow improves gaming performance over 7, which seems unlikely.

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
... the metro ui on desktop should be like launchpad feature on OS X, but with a standard windows desktop in tact... i heavily multitask... sometimes my windows taskbar hosts up to and more than 20 applications and folders... and the taskbar was with the functions to see tasks... in metro ui you guess what is open, what not....

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Crying here about not using windows 8 is like me going to Ferrari and telling them i don`t like the 458 Italia i`ll stick to my Porsche 911. Wtf, you don`t like it good for you, sit with what ever you have there in your own corner of happiness. The OS is basicaly 99% the same as Windows 7, only that the start menu looks different due to Metro Start style, bitching about it makes you only look like spoiled brats.

chewy1963

Honorable
May 9, 2012
[citation][nom]notuptome2004[/nom]Tell me how are you losing $1000 everytime somthing goes full screen on your system. and you do relaize if you dont want to use Metro inetrface the start screen ya can stay in the desktop the entire time right you do know that right and you know that you can pin apps to the taskbar or Taskbars if you have multi screens and that you can go in to the start screen just to open an regular windows app cause regular windows Apps dnt go Full screen in the start screen they go direct to desktop[/citation]

Damn, punctuation, it really helps others understand you!

psugrad1999

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
I just got my touch screen monitor in preparation for Windows 8 today. I went with the Dell 21" monitor and I got to say Microsoft is almost spot on. There are so many positive things I can say about Windows 8 on a touchscreen monitor. But the only negative thing I have is how they could have improved accessing the start menu (Metro).

I had been using Windows 8 with a mouse and keyboard before tonight. And found it very easy to get to the start screen by moving my mouse to the bottom left hand corner. With my touch screen, I now have to swipe from the left hand side towards the right and then select the windows icon (if anyone knows how to get there easier on touchscreen let me know). It'd be easier just to press the bottom left hand corner of the screen.

It's also more difficult to cycle through open applications on a touch screen. With a mouse I can just left click on the top left corner and get a visual representation of opens apps. With a touch screen I have to cycle through each open app by swiping from the left side of the screen to the right. Again, if there is an easier way, please let me know.

So, in a way, using a mouse and keyboard is easier to use compared to a touchscreen. But with those two things said, using a touchscreen is so natural to me now. After some serious calibration (had to run it a couple of times), the touchscreen is awesome. It would be nice if Microsoft brought some uniformity to using the OS with both a mouse and touch screen.

All in all, I love Windows 8 now even more so then I did before. Touchscreen is fairly natural once you get beyond the nuances. After only a few hours of use I already find myself reaching for the screen instead of my mouse. And in my setup, the screen is not out of reach -- so it's not like I'm reaching.

And Dell did a great job for the type of monitor. It is a touch capacitive, and there are some issues with the bevel around the screen, but once you have it calibrated it's very responsive and accurate. Touch screens are the future and Microsoft is incredibly smart for building it so tightly into the OS for a desktop.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]psugrad1999[/nom]I just got my touch screen monitor in preparation for Windows 8 With my touch screen, I now have to swipe from the left hand side towards the right and then select the windows icon (if anyone knows how to get there easier on touchscreen let me know). It'd be easier just to press the bottom left hand corner of the screen. It's also more difficult to cycle through open applications on a touch screen. With a mouse I can just left click on the top left corner and get a visual representation of opens apps. With a touch screen I have to cycle through each open app by swiping from the left side of the screen to the right. Again, if there is an easier way, please let me know.So, in a way, using a mouse and keyboard is easier to use compared to a touchscreen. But with those two things said, using a touchscreen is so natural to me now. After some serious calibration (had to run it a couple of times), the touchscreen is awesome. It would be nice if Microsoft brought some uniformity to using the OS with both a mouse and touch screen.All in all, I love Windows 8 now even more so then I did before. Touchscreen is fairly natural once you get beyond the nuances. After only a few hours of use I already find myself reaching for the screen instead of my mouse. And in my setup, the screen is not out of reach -- so it's not like I'm reaching.And Dell did a great job for the type of monitor. It is a touch capacitive, and there are some issues with the bevel around the screen, but once you have it calibrated it's very responsive and accurate. Touch screens are the future and Microsoft is incredibly smart for building it so tightly into the OS for a desktop.[/citation]

Status
Not open for further replies.