Windows 8 immediately restarts after sleep or shutdown

Martin_W

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
Hello,
When I sleep or hibernate windows 8, my machine immediately restarts. WOL is disabled.
It works fine in XP.
Hardware is Asus A8v, dual-core AMD64 4200+ (about 7 years old).

Solution
Fixed it! The issue was with the USB HIDs - they all had the allow device to wake up the computer option ticked, disabled and it sleeps... joy!

I also had an issue with the thing forgetting the network connection (ethernet) when waking up, this was solved by un ticking the allow windows to switch off to save power... no tyhat is good too :)

Thanks Johnbl, you got me looking in the right places, cheers!

weaselman

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
Wol is for waking up the computer via the network card.
In any case its likely that the Apci setting of the bios are not set right, maybe windows 8 supports more features.
I do know that most of the time when you shut it down it goes into hibernation mode. where as it saves the state of the Os and all running programs at the time within it to a temporary file to the HD. Ie :S4 mode.

S3 : Mode powers down the system and all of the fans,cpu,drives,cards. But instead of saving a snapshot of the OS running and all of the running programs inside to the HD as a temporary file it keeps it all in the main system memory.that is the only thing provided with power as memory is volatile/ meaning if power is lost or a small interruption to the power happens, there is a high chance of data corruption.

EmBe_62

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012
I am having exactly the same issue with my Asus A8V-VM board AMD Processor and Windows 8 if this helps... I'm getting a bit fed up with not being able to find a solution as I have just built it into a HTPC setup.

if no wake event is listed then maybe it is refusing to sleep. that is, you request sleep, the system tells the drivers to sleep, one tells the system not to sleep. This would happen if you had a shared multi media device. Last time I had this it was caused by
the windows media center I installed as a free install with windows 8 pro.
powercfg.exe /energy and look at the energy-report.html file it generates in your system32 directory. It should indicated what program countermanded the sleep request.

EmBe_62

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012
Fixed it! The issue was with the USB HIDs - they all had the allow device to wake up the computer option ticked, disabled and it sleeps... joy!

I also had an issue with the thing forgetting the network connection (ethernet) when waking up, this was solved by un ticking the allow windows to switch off to save power... no tyhat is good too :)

Thanks Johnbl, you got me looking in the right places, cheers!

Solution

Martin_W

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
This was the solution for me as well - thanks!

However, it was not the generic USB devices which were causing the problem but the keyboard and mouse - both of which were set to allow them to wake the computer (I am using USB keyboard and mouse although the motherboard supports PS2 connections).

Martin_W

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
That also fixed it for me - Thanks!

My issue was not with generic USB devices but with the keyboard and mouse as I am using USB ones rather than the PS2 ones which the motherboard supports.

yamko

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
I'm so sorry for reviving this thread :( but even after reading the answers I do not know how to disable the settings that you guys talked about, I'm fairly new to computers and my windows 8 is doing exactly the same thing.

Could someone kindly directs me to the right place for disabling these settings so that my computer doesn't wake right after sleep?

Thank you so much and once again very sorry for reviving this thread.

guybatt234

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013

These settings you have to change in the bios. Where they are depends on your motherboard, just look aroud!

Limoncello7

Honorable
Jun 22, 2013

Quite another solution worked well in my case with a MB ASUS F2A85-M LE and a AMD A8-5600K where the BIOS (after testing it out) was not at the origin of the problems.

The computer worked flawlessly since I built it three months ago. Then two weeks ago I put in a Samsung SSD Pro 128GB giving a fantastic boost to the machine. I suppose I did something wrong because after having used the Data Migration program the problems started, the sleep function which I used very much didn't work anymore. Windows 8 restarted immediately after the command. Fortunately the shutdown still worked normally.

I started fiddling about with the Bios settings from the motherboard for hours, but that didn’t solve the problem. I installed another HDD, this time with Ubuntu and this operating system worked well, the functioning suspend function showed that the Bios was surely not the problem.

After two weeks of trying out almost all tips and tricks I found on the internet on this subject the problem was finally solved by intuition and not by ratio. I disconnected the LAN connector from the computer before pressing the sleep button and presto the machine went to sleep. In my opinion this was where I had to continue looking for a solution.
For some reasons or another the 'Turn sharing On or Off' in 'Settings\Network' or 'Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections' solved my problem when it was turned to Off. It all works again as a charm.

Hassaan War Hero

Honorable
May 10, 2013

from where did you disabled usb hids???????

mmokhtar

Reputable
Dec 14, 2014

Hi Guys,

Finally I found the Solution , Just go for device manager your will find HID Compliance mouse --- Properties and go for power management tab , uncheck let mouse wake up my Computer

Thanks
Mahmoud Mokhtar

mmokhtar

Reputable
Dec 14, 2014
Go for device manager --- > Mice and other pointing devices ---- > HID- Compliant mouse ---properties

---power management tab --- > uncheck let mouse wake up my pc

Ice017

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014
When the PC went to sleep and woke up, the login screen in Windows 8.1 came up and then automatically restarted. I changed the ram back to auto and the computer came out of sleep fine. Asus P6T motherboard I7

Baz369

Reputable
Nov 15, 2015
Windows 8 OS installed early 11-20015
On old hardware. NO ISSUE
Problematic issue didn't happen till I installed new Mother Board in machine.
Pretty simple for me shut down computer & switch off power supply before it restarts.
Take out cmos battery, switch power supply back on & restart computer.
Shut down computer put cmos battery back in & restart computer. FIXED!!!!!