Windows 8 is Next "Big Target" Says McAfee

Status
Not open for further replies.

ironmb

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
No way! Really? I could've sworn all malware/virus/trojans/etc we're just gonna stay on windows 7. You mean to tell me people are going to infect windows 8 too?! Never saw it coming...

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
yes because at 1.77% market share it's sure to be the next big thing. lol Hackers go where the popularity is and Windows 7 is highly popular gainging even more market share this past month to 45.1% so this is where the hackers will be focusing on, esp when corperations just upgraded to windows 7 recently.

G

This is good it will take some attention away from 7 which I am keeping. Not interested at all in 8.

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
If you are at least half-documented, you don't even need an antivirus on you PC.

With Windows 8 being as secure as it is, I don't even think about the possibility.

Talking about phones....well, here there are worries.

G

Hahaha, McAfee, I remove it from every PC I come across with it on and replace it with a real Anti-Virus program!

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
You don't say, McAfee...

[citation][nom]Cryio[/nom]If you are at least half-documented, you don't even need an antivirus on you PC.With Windows 8 being as secure as it is, I don't even think about the possibility. Talking about phones....well, here there are worries.[/citation]

A few months ago, my school's website was hacked and a couple of java exploits were loaded into it.

Trusted websites can be hacked, including this one.

daglesj

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
What Microsoft needs to do is actually turn ON all the security 7 and 8 has by default rather than leaving it all switched off in case it stops someone running a piece of software written in 1998.

It should make DEP/ASLR/SEHOP etc. all ON by default. Plus make the real divide between an Admin and standard user account rather than Admin as default. UAC helps but folks either ignore it or turn it off.

The security is all there, it's just MS is too pussy to use it. It's odd that they will push folks to learn a new UI but are terrified to annoy a user if a years old shareware app won't work anymore.

I keep trying to push the following for folks to try -

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29851

At least this switches some of the protection back on.

fearless1333

Honorable
Jun 25, 2012
Well Windows 8 market share is at a diminutive 1.77% (by contrast, Mac OS X has about 5% market share and hackers already don't bother with it due to low market share), but hackers will still probably create viruses for it because it is on both mobile systems and computers. Plus, Windows 8 is still a Windows OS. Obviously it will be much easier to create viruses for it as the coding languages are the same and any unpatched security vulnerability will still work.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
It will be a while before anyone even cares about win8 (1.77 share) and they may never care. You won't be doing much damage trying to get 1.77% of the pc's out there. This is just the usual fear mongering by an AV company.

DO NOT GO TO ANTI-VIRUS-REVIEWS.NET.
ALWAYS check a site at scamadvisor.com first if it's not a WELL known company or you have doubts...LOL. I had doubts about YOUR safety the second I saw the funky domain. A real company doesn't have dashes etc in their names that many times usually, more like antivirusreviews.net not how he put it, his way REEKS of a company that can't afford the one you can easily get to, or is just a scam site - though not a guarantee here, it's just REAL common sense to suspect domains like his. 30day old domain? Nice try. I wouldn't have went there for a review anyway but wanted to check for other's safety.
Notes:-
[Alert Result] The owner of the website is using a service to hide their identity
[Alert Result] This website is 30 Days old
[Alert Result] The website expected life (365 days) is relatively short.
[Alert Result] The website appears to be less than six months old

There are other sites you can check this stuff on but this one is great for anything. There's more detail on there about this JHANCOCK3's site link. I just didn't paste it here. RUN from his site...LOL. Best to go to a PCmag.com or cnet.com type site (whatever your country's equivalent PC magazine is) and READ about AV apps and see where they say X app passed (they usually mention a lab testing site that got similar results to their own review. Then check to see if they score well at the people who ACTUALLY test these things in LABS for real (and that's pretty much all they do) as in how effective is X brand?
av-test.org (german I think if memory serves 13yr old)
virusbtn.com (vb100 awards, Brits 18yr old domain) as an example check out these two ages...
http://www.av-comparatives.org (pcmag.com points to them in recent reviews, Australian lab)
etc etc...Usually AV reviews on PROMINENT websites (like cnet.com etc) tell who X product passes and you can go read the FULL report from that lab on who won what tests etc.

LEARN HOW TO SURF SAFELY! Trust NOBODY. :) Not even me ;) Go to well known sites and find out where they tell you to read results etc for this kind of crap (like the pcmag sites etc). Best to avoid sites with SHORT domain times. You can WHOIS a domain also before going there etc. Many ways to find out info about a site before you do the damage to yourself for being ignorant (note I didn't say stupid, ignorant and stupid are two different things). You're stupid if you ignore my warnings. :) Ignorant if you just didn't know these sites above existed ;)

If you want to read about hardware etc, you come to a tomshardware.com or anandtech.com (check scamadvisor on them, years old etc). Not "i-do-hardware-reviews.ru" or some such crap. Wise up people. :) Happy surfing. Oh and yes, win8 sucks ;) Nobody cares...Move along...LOL

PS...Can we get this jhancock3 banned along with his IP? Just a thought (though so easy to hide with TOR etc).

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
One more comment, check a users profile before heading off to some site also. It won't tell you everything (as some of us lose them over time, my own handle for instance, stuck in space, and really wanted nobody special...LOL) but this dude has ONE POST, that's it.

So check a user...Still looks bad? Check a site like scamadvisor...That will probably end your thoughts and stop you from going to some guys link (I'd stop at his 1 post...ROFL). No need to go to anti-virus-reviews.net. DO NOT DO THIS!!!!!. I sincerely hope none of you just got scammed by whatever is at this site :)

LEXX911

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2007
I wouldn't be surprised if the anti-virus makers out there are the one releasing some of the viruses themselves.

daglesj

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
What I have found interesting lately is the number of so called 'independent' articles claiming that MS Security Essentials isn't very good. Now until recently I always scored well and was pretty well regarded.

However, now that MS have rebranded it and installed it as part of Windows 8 making paid for AV pretty pointless for most, we get a whole load of reports saying its no good.

Hmmmm you'd think it was paid for FUD wouldn't you?

signothorn

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
"Despite any flaws, Windows 8 is a more secure platform, McAfee said, and that upgrading is definitely worth considering."

McAfee is owned by Intel, who wants to sell more chips by selling more computers and hardware upgrades. Not a huge deal but they should really disclose this in the article when they make a statement like this, even if the article may be considered negative as a whole.

in_the_loop

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
What I found really, really ironic int he article is the line "criminals go where the money goes", knowing that McAffe was the founder of the anti-virus solution and is a criminal.

And they (McAffe) also know were the money is to be had : Convincing people that a newer OS, a moibile platform or something else is dangerous and needs to buy their protection.

Tech sites makes their jobs easier when reporting on non-stories where they just are allowed to tell the same thing over and over again, the source being the security firms themselves selling you the software.

The most annoying reoccurring theme is the "Android is really insecure and dangerous to use", which is totally overblown.

Status
Not open for further replies.