Windows 8 laptop using too much ram on idle

dushky

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
Hi guys, recently got a new laptop, and it has windows 8 and uses a rather alarming amount of ram in idle mode.

Sooo was wondering what could be the cause of it and if there's anyway to reduce it since it seems way too high from past experience.

I've read up on some other articles and tried to utilize some of the advice provided there, such as uninstalling the default programs that come with the laptop, i've uninstalled most of those that I feel are somewhat useless.

I've attached pictures of my task manager, the laptop has 8gb of ram soo for 35% of it to be used while in idle desktop i feel is way to much, since when for example I play a game I then receive a warning from windows to close the game to free up memory which is rather annoying!

Thanks for any help in this regard!

ram1.jpg

ram2.jpg

ram3.jpg

ram4.jpg

ram5.jpg

Solution
Actually, that is about what I would expect, and as for the low memory warnings, they are triggered after you use 60% of your memory as I get them all the time on my laptop as well if I am gaming and they are nothing to worry about, as you still have plenty of memory left to use.

Nuckles_56

Admirable
Actually, that is about what I would expect, and as for the low memory warnings, they are triggered after you use 60% of your memory as I get them all the time on my laptop as well if I am gaming and they are nothing to worry about, as you still have plenty of memory left to use.

Solution

dushky

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010

As Nuckles has mentioned, when my ram usage exceeds a certain amount i get a low memory warning from windows asking to close the program, its really annoying so anyway to turn that off?

dushky

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
Hi guys after more research I found the reason for the memory problem, apparently there is a memory leak for desktop windows manager in windows 8.1 which causes excessive ram consumption if you play a game with a different resolution say 1366x768 as compared to desktop of 1920x1080 setting to the one of your desktop so that fixes that, and my general ram consumption as previously stated is normal so thanks again there!

jaggedIT

Reputable
Feb 17, 2014
here is the solution to the high RAM usage on idle.... it is caused by a memory leak problem associated with windows 8 and 8.1.... it has nothing to do with amd or qualcom atheros killer...

windows key + R
type in: Regedit
press enter
do the following arow keys then follow directions

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/ SYSTEM/ ControlSet001/ Services/

Ndu/ then right click [start] file in that folder,and choose [modify]
then change the value to ...[4]...
if it is set to [1] or [2]
and with all that a simple 4 fixes it.
i want to note that this change in value will not ruin your pc.. this is not a critical change... do it with no worries mmmm k

and walla thats the solution to high ram usage!!

Ananymous

Reputable
Oct 18, 2015

i hv 8 gb ram . it is 18%on idle. this means dushky has a memory leak