Windows 8 Marketing Campaign Likely to Hit $1.5 Billion

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Uberragen21

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
[citation][nom]fayzaan[/nom]I am confident it will. Start menu was inefficient and even MS said according to their statistics it was used very little. Who likes to go Start>Programs>Accessories>Paint.exe etc. no one does that anymore!! if you use a program often, you put it on the taskbar or a shortcut on the desktop. Windows 8 gives you that in a awesome way.[/citation]
I hate clutter on the desktop, nothing screams I'm disorganized than a messy desktop! I'm in the computer industry, and let me tell you I used my start button hundreds of times a day (if not more). It all depends on the situation, whether I'm using a remote PC connection or diagnosing hardware / software problems. I would never clutter up my desktop with more than 15-20 shortcuts, and certainly not with massively large and fugly icons that Windows 8 forces upon you. Windows 8, you are destined to go down in history as Vista's red-headed step child!

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
[citation][nom]Uberragen21[/nom]I hate clutter on the desktop, nothing screams I'm disorganized than a messy desktop! I'm in the computer industry, and let me tell you I used my start button hundreds of times a day (if not more). It all depends on the situation, whether I'm using a remote PC connection or diagnosing hardware / software problems. I would never clutter up my desktop with more than 15-20 shortcuts, and certainly not with massively large and fugly icons that Windows 8 forces upon you. Windows 8, you are destined to go down in history as Vista's red-headed step child![/citation]
Personally, I use the Fences application ( thanks Tom's ), to organize my desktop. Don't know if it works for Win 8 yet.

Fences:
http://www.stardock.com/products/fences/

evga_fan

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010
[citation][nom]m1n3kraft[/nom]Rofl. I get downvoted for teaching common sense.[/citation]

If that's your idea of "teaching" common sense (like I would need it), then I would have to reevaluate all logic that I have come to know about this world. No offense!
I'm not against flexibility but seeing as metro is not something I want on my PC and that W7 works for me, investment in such would be waste of cash. Moreover, one of the most effective ways of voicing your opinion in a case like this, is not to support ideas that you don't approve of by not buying.

tobalaz

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
You guys remember the Apple commercial with Justin Long where he played "Mac"?
There was that one where "PC" had the giant pile of money, and was putting huge stacks into the "market Vista" stack and little amounts in the "fix Vista" stack, Mac asked him a question along the lines of "You think you've got enough in advertising yet?" then PC said "Good point." and slid what little there was in the fix Vista pile over to the marketing pile?
Apple could rerun the same commercial and substitute Windows 8 in for Vista and it still be relevant.
It seems like most companies, not just Microsoft would rather throw piles of money into advertising to assure customers than just make the product better.

jerm1027

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011

Precisely why I use Ubuntu 12.04. :D

hiruu

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
A rumor...seriously...that's the best you can provide as a source for a figure like this? I'm sure over the lifetime of the program, Microsoft could spend this much...but its a bit clownish to assume the few commercials we've seen so far are going to tally up to $1.5 bln. This is a nice out for haters...if Win 8 takes off...well evidently it would, given the money Microsoft spent, and if not, well, this number will be the urban legend.

genz

Distinguished

Funny you should say that. Apple are doing a much worse job. Last two versions of OSX included what? New color scheme, iOS app drawer, minor edits to the built in killbit system and Facebook/Twitter integration yet managed to axe X11, Rosetta and double memory footprint whilst doing so.

Don't get me started on the iPhone 5 and where that's put Apple's share price, and yet they still spend easily 3 times what MS spend on marketing year on year.

Ironic?

Status
Not open for further replies.