Windows 8 Release Preview Now Ready for Download

Status
Not open for further replies.

whooleo

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
It's improved from before but now the UI looks like a supped up transparent version of XP, UGH!!!!!! Whoever at Microsoft thought it was a good idea to copy Apple's policy of simplicity went WAY overboard and is why I'm staying away from this mess. They're almost forcing us to either stick with 7 or move to Mac OS X/Linux....... NOT IMPRESSED

wait who is getting this subtract 100 from your IQ. Worthless interface sure improvements here and there but it looks like the typical microsoft stay away from every other os XP (awesome), 2000 (meh)/ME (awful), Vista (terrible), windows 7 (awesome).

redyellowblueblast

Honorable
May 21, 2012
I really am baffled that Microsoft really believes that Windows 8 is going to take off. Its almost as if they are intentionally handing over they're PC desktop/laptop market to Linux. I always expected a Linux take over, but I didn't expect Microsoft to freely hand it over.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Do they really think that people will like metro on desktops and laptops? I'm going to be sticking with Windows 7 for a while at this rate, that's for sure.

rb420

Distinguished
May 25, 2011
[citation][nom]redyellowblueblast[/nom]I really am baffled that Microsoft really believes that Windows 8 is going to take off. Its almost as if they are intentionally handing over they're PC desktop/laptop market to Linux. I always expected a Linux take over, but I didn't expect Microsoft to freely hand it over.[/citation]

Your delusional if you think Linux is going to take over. People are just going to stick to windows 7. Win8, like vista before it, will just never catch on. Microsoft will then wake up and release something viable.

[citation][nom]rb420[/nom]Your delusional if you think Linux is going to take over. People are just going to stick to windows 7. Win8, like vista before it, will just never catch on. Microsoft will then wake up and release something viable.[/citation]

What about simply using Classic Shell in Win 8? Solves the one thing that some people consider a problem, Metro, without losing Windows 8's many improvements over Windows 7.

SpadeM

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
This will be Microsoft's best selling OS for sure. Why you ask? Simple .. because it will sell licenses to tablets too and if you add those numbers (which will probably be bigger the the desktop pc sales) to the ones for mobile phones and desktop/laptop = best os ever ... or at least that'll be the sales pitch that Microsoft will give us.

It's a pitty that the PC is getting screwed here, at first the game developers screwed us and now it's time for the OS to follow ... i wonder who's left.

NiPPonD3nZ0

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
I would give it a go, but as a Portuguese, I would like to see a real PORTUGUESE (From Portugal, not that Brazillian crap) out for a change… I'm using the Consumer Preview right now and I don't feel it… I really don't… but will download it again (IN ENGLISH) and will put it trough its paces...

jdwii

Splendid
Windows Me was for consumers and windows 2000 was for businesses, windows 8 is for tablets. Microsoft wont say it but it is.
I really wont ever understand why people think this is going to be a great success on tablets when most tablets come with ARM installed and no one wants to use windows unless their current software works on it and it wont since Arm is not compatible with x86, Not to mention Microsoft is years behind Apple's marketing team and app store. Android is also ahead of Microsoft on this as well.

Businesses are most likely going to skip 8 not only because of metro but also because their just now getting 7. Businesses will not want to train users on how to use metro so new computers shipped with 8 will be downgraded to 7 when it comes to schools and businesses.

Now when it comes to desktops and Laptops their is no need for Metro not only does it look Ugly it also takes longer to do the most simple tasks that Windows 7-XP can do quickly. For example going to the control panel or my computer or even just shutting down your own PC takes more time.

As for saying you can download this 3rd party software or that is complete BS, This is not Linux this is windows maybe on Linux its OK to just search Google and tweak your OS but for a windows environment that cost money this is completely unacceptable, Microsoft needs to Liston to their fans.(you know the businesses and users who been buying their OS since windows 3.1)

Like Vista, Windows 8 includes new features that are hard to hate such as the new task manager, ISO compatibility(out of the box!), Quicker boot-up and shut-down times, And their is some extra stuff as well, but again like vista this is going to be a failure across the board with only extreme Microsoft fans who will support it but also it will be a learning experience for Microsoft.

[citation][nom]jdwii[/nom]Windows Me was for consumers and windows 2000 was for businesses, windows 8 is for tablets. Microsoft wont say it but it is. I really wont ever understand why people think this is going to be a great success on tablets when most tablets come with ARM installed and no one wants to use windows unless their current software works on it and it wont since Arm is not compatible with x86, Not to mention Microsoft is years behind Apple's marketing team and app store. Android is also ahead of Microsoft on this as well. Businesses are most likely going to skip 8 not only because of metro but also because their just now getting 7. Businesses will not want to train users on how to use metro so new computers shipped with 8 will be downgraded to 7 when it comes to schools and businesses. Now when it comes to desktops and Laptops their is no need for Metro not only does it look Ugly it also takes longer to do the most simple tasks that Windows 7-XP can do quickly. For example going to the control panel or my computer or even just shutting down your own PC takes more time. As for saying you can download this 3rd party software or that is complete BS, This is not Linux this is windows maybe on Linux its OK to just search Google and tweak your OS but for a windows environment that cost money this is completely unacceptable, Microsoft needs to Liston to their fans.(you know the businesses and users who been buying their OS since windows 3.1)Like Vista, Windows 8 includes new features that are hard to hate such as the new task manager, ISO compatibility(out of the box!), Quicker boot-up and shut-down times, And their is some extra stuff as well, but again like vista this is going to be a failure across the board with only extreme Microsoft fans who will support it but also it will be a learning experience for Microsoft.[/citation]

Tablets come with ARM installed? WTF is that supposed to mean? ARM is an ISA for a RISC CPU. It isn't something that can be installed. Besides that, it doesn't need to be compatible with X86 because there are programming languages that are compatible with both ARM and X86 (in addition to many other ISAs). Java is one such language and it is one that Android uses extensively. That is why there will be X86 Android phones with 100% or near 100% compatibility to the ARM version sooner or later (Google is making an X86 version of Android to run on Intel's Medfield processors and their successors). There will be many Intel tablets running Windows and they should have 100% compatibility with desktop Windows programs.

Furthermore, the reasons for MS having Metro on the desktop/laptop platforms is obvious... I don't like it, but it is not obscure. Calling it ugly seems to be exaggerating, at least IMO. Yes, somethings done in Metro are slower (that's why when I use Windows 8, I will likely not use Metro too much, at least not without playing around with some settings and/or programs), but how often does the average user go into the control panel (or even above-average users) and if shutting it down quickly is so important, then you can simply attach a shut down button to the Metro menu or to the task bar or even to the desktop. Not doing something so quick and simple just because you don't think that you should need to do it is nothing short of laziness.

I think that Windows 8 will not fail like Vista did. Vista had far more problems. It had horrible performance for the time, poor driver support, low stability, poor application support, and more. What problems does 8 have? Just Metro. Even then, it's not only not as ad as most people say it is, but how good it is varies widely, depending on what you're doing with it.

applebloom

Honorable
May 8, 2012
Blazorthon, calling it "ugly" is a very valid opinion (not to mention that it is held by many people including myself).

G

This is going to be THE bigest failure of M$ desktop OS in history...PERIOD!
And this is coming from a guy who actually liked Vista but didn't use it (hey, I said I liked it, not that I was stuped anough to use it next to my perfectly fine XP SP2 and then SP3).

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS