Windows 8 to Feature New OEM Activation Method

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Sakkura[/nom]Microsoft's terms are pretty clear - you're not allowed to install an OEM version of Windows 7 on a computer you build for yourself or your family or friends. Only if you sell it. Yes, it's retarded, which is why I hope they'll change it back to the way it was before Win 7.[/citation]
I'm not sure if you are getting that the right way round, in the UK some of the biggest online resellers say you can't buy OEM Windows disks unless it is accompanied with a significant hardware item, to prove that it is for a system you are building. It states nowhere that you must then sell on that PC for it to be legal. It only states the following:-
OEM licenses are tied to the original computer you install it on.
That tells me that the only restriction is transfering licenses between machines, nothing to do with if the whole machine is sold or or retained by the builder.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]livebriand[/nom]I'd like to see an actual Windows disc included with each machine, not some stupid recovery disc that includes a ton of bloatware. Oh, and make metro optional (or dump it altogether). Would that be too much to ask?[/citation]
Windows 7 allows you to make an in-situ image, so when you have installed you favourite software, browser, email, all your settings, background wallpapers, taskbar shortcuts and got it exactly how you want - you can then use that as your system recovery disk. WAY better than retail blank or bloated manufacturer recovery. Windows 8 will have exactly the same function too, so just get it to it's sweet spot for you then create your disk.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]The tighter Microsoft squeezes us, the more we slip through their fingers.Really, why do most of really need a Microsoft OS for? I haven't gone Linux yet... but check this out. Linux costs $0. Upgrades = $0. There is no OEM, Retail, Upgrade, Home, Basic, Pro whatever versions.I'm migrating in a few years. In a few months, I remove Win8 from my test-notebook (used to warn people about Win8) and it'll be my Linux machine. Then, my main machines... and no more Microsoft.One of my friends loves his WP7 phone. He tried out Win8 on my computer and after 15mins, he won't be putting Windows8 on any of his computers. I also told him about WP7 / WP8 issues... with the direction Microsoft is going, he's decided to not replace his WP7 phones with WP8 either.Thank God I didn't get the Lumia 900. I would have been pissed.Who is going to pirate Win8 anyway? MS is delusional! Its funny![/citation]
If Windows is so bad and Linux is so good, why wait a few months? Linux has always been free so why haven't you migrated already? I am calling BS, you will just keep using Windows 7 if you don't want Windows 8, using Linux will just be cutting your nose off to spite your face.

alcalde

Distinguished
May 2, 2010
Unused keys can be returned in real-time without shipping or insurance costs, according to the leaked slides

Hey - does this mean that it's going to be easy now to avoid the "Windows Tax" if you already have a copy of Windows and don't want to pay extra for it with a new laptop or desktop or if you just want to install Linux on it? If the OEMs can "return" unused keys, you should just be able to call them up, read them the key, they "return" it to MS, and then it can't be used for activation and you should then be able to use your own key or install another OS on the machine (and get a refund check from the OEM).

PreferLinux

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
[citation][nom]Sakkura[/nom]Microsoft's terms are pretty clear - you're not allowed to install an OEM version of Windows 7 on a computer you build for yourself or your family or friends. Only if you sell it. Yes, it's retarded, which is why I hope they'll change it back to the way it was before Win 7.[/citation]
That is the OEM licence, which is only a licence to resell it. So if you don't agree to it and/or don't meet the requirements for it, you're still allowed to use it – just not sell it. At least, that is how I see it.

[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]I'm not sure if you are getting that the right way round, in the UK some of the biggest online resellers say you can't buy OEM Windows disks unless it is accompanied with a significant hardware item, to prove that it is for a system you are building. It states nowhere that you must then sell on that PC for it to be legal. It only states the following:-That tells me that the only restriction is transfering licenses between machines, nothing to do with if the whole machine is sold or or retained by the builder.
[/citation]
You're forgetting that there are two licences – one for the OEM which grants them permission to resell it, and one for the end-user, which is what you're thinking of. See above for my theories on the OEM licence.

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
OEM is tied to the CPU atm licenses are non-transferable and do not include upgrading either been this way since xp.
Retail upgrading is allowed it is not tied to the CPU so if you buy an OEM system you want to upgrade you need to buy retail license.

G

How about there is no key/activation like OS X and Linux? Hackers are just going to crack it anyways. The same people are going to buy it whether there's keys/activation or not, the same with any other paid OS.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]alextheblue[/nom]What part of WP8 would help a Lumia 900, that isn't included in WP 7.8? If your Android phone isn't one of the thrice-blessed Google-sanctified models, you might miss out on a major upgrade too. People tend to get a new smartphone every couple of years.[/citation] If I had gone with a WP7 Lumia 900 a month or so ago, only to find out that the Win7 platform is effectively dead, then yes I'd be pissed. Someone with an Android 2.x device can still run Android apps. Games would be the only question as graphical games would require a more modern phone. But otherwise, everything works on my 2yr old phone. That cannot be said on the new WP7 phones. The Lumia at $50 is more than a fair price for a phone with no future. And as you said, every 2 years... it means I and anyone else is stuck with a dead-end platform for 2 years.

[citation][nom]alextheblue[/nom]all the haters are avoiding Win8, so there's really little reason to miss WP8 vs 7.8.[/citation] So? And I don't recall it be against the law to hate Windows8 or talking about. I know that MS wants to make it against the law to do so.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]livebriand[/nom]I'd like to see an actual Windows disc included with each machine, not some stupid recovery disc that includes a ton of bloatware. Oh, and make metro optional (or dump it altogether). Would that be too much to ask?[/citation] Not going to happen. Also more and more computers are not including optical drives. I do prefer a REAL disc for installs. After the system is made "perfect" - I made an image file of it, store it on another partition and on a backup drive :)

It costs money for them to make an update restore disc, and its lazy. They want to yo have all the garbage ware when you do a factory restore. Also, home-made restore discs may only be good for 1~3 years before the degrade.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]really...if linux was so good how come it's not very popular, because it is not....microsoft is doing very well...and that goes for apple also[/citation] Linux is not owned by any company. Its a scary boogie man, its not Windows compatible... and you see, Metro is also NOT Windows Compatible. And as I stated, compared to 10 years ago, everyone depended on Windows... its just no longer the case. You don't need IE for web compatibly. Hell, you can run MSOffice without having Windows now... not perfect, but its there.

You are right, MS/Windows isn't going to go away. But as more people move off of Windows, the less we need Windows. Anyone with an Android or iOS device proves that Microsoft isn't needed. This is something that makes Apple stupid. Growth of non-MS devices still helps apple.

Microsoft is doing well... doesn't means MS will do well tomorrow.

Okay, how do you know how bad Linux is? Have you tried it? I have, and I even have Win8 running on one of my notebooks. LinuxMint arranges itself to be Windows-user friendly... so give it a try... or even its liveCD.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]rjandric[/nom]I gave up on Windows long time ago, and for someone who has been in the game since VIC20/C64 days, it's Linux/OS X for me. ~~ archaic registry method (since when centralized database that holds info on everything in OS was good idea?).[/citation] I've been using Windows since the Win3 days (ugh)... so I've only just recently starting my migration to Linux. My first computer was the VIC20, then C=128 then Amiga. So I know what you mean about the mess that is MS-Dos/Windows. The registry was always one of the dumbest things ever made. But it was by design, its to make Windows far more complicated than it needed to be. Why is a big settings file bigger than entire operating systems?

I think I'll keep an older PC as a Windows-based old-PC game platform. I'll buy the Playstation 4 for gaming.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Lol. At least MS will realise (if Win8 doesn't get cracked) how poorly it's doing, because so many people who pirate windows won't switch to 8.

G

Same here. Using Win since 3.11 and also Linux since 15+ yrs since the days those kernels were hand rolled. Did chk up on Win 8 Beta & RC and am afraid it's going to be a huge disappointment for MS and it's loyal fans and other corporate/business users who are compelled to use them.
Ubuntu, Fedora with latest KDE Plasma desktop beat Win 8 on almost all front. With most business apps moving to the cloud ( Office 365 ) and oth commercial apps vendors ensuring a port on Linux/*Lion, the relevance of an expensive desktop OS will eventually fade away.. If MS will not discount Win8 like Apple did with Mountain lion recently, then it will be soon goodbye Windows OS..( PS: lots of hackintosh users easily run Lion OS on Generic X86 systems - get the possible future scenario ?).
As many readers commented here, this delusion with exotic licensing will not enthuse the current community nor will be hackproof for long...

cwolf78

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
[citation][nom]Movieman420[/nom]Windows 98SE - Miss[/citation]
Really? As I recall, Win98SE was a great consumer OS with extremely wide adoption. You must have a different definition of "miss" than everyone else.

dauntekong

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
Once again Microsoft underestimates hackers. If they see the trends of all their Windows product, it's all hacked.

Every software they made is hacked. Dont think those hackers are not as smart as you. They are beyond your reach.

RADIO_ACTIVE

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]shafe88[/nom]Wouldn't it be easier and better in stead of using a key in the bios to just use the motherboards model and serial# to activate windows. Like the motherboards model and serial# is imbedded in that copy windows, that way windows is locked to that computer.[/citation]
You make me cry... who would want that

I checked Microsoft's own pages for this. They're unambiguous: You are NOT allowed to install Windows 7 OEM on a homebuilt system, unless you promptly sell it to a third party. Also, you're not allowed to install it the regular way, you must use their special OEM Preinstallation Kit.

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/pages/licensing_for_hobbyists.aspx#fbid=A7Pfteg80m2

Then tell me why Microsoft specifically states that the OEM version "Must be preinstalled on a PC and sold to another unrelated party." Are they wrong about the terms of use of their own products?

alcalde

Distinguished
May 2, 2010

There's also no activation schemes or keys, no reactivation after changing hardware, no problem using one disk to install on all of your machines, no problem creating a flash drive version of your desktop, no 3 year wait between versions, no development behind closed doors and no secret bug trackers.

I'm migrating in a few years. In a few months, I remove Win8 from my test-notebook (used to warn people about Win8) and it'll be my Linux machine. Then, my main machines... and no more Microsoft.

What you need to do now to make the transition easier is to start switching your software. I started two years previous to begin removing myself from the vendor lock-in, and my criteria was when all else was equal choose cross-platform, and if all else was still equal choose open source. When I actually did switch to Linux, I could continue using Firefox, Opera, Google Earth, RapidMiner (data mining suite), Java, SMplayer, VLC, Truecrypt, Dosbox, 7-zip, LibreOffice, Free Pascal, Python, GnuCash, VirtualBox, Calibre, Miro, XBMC, GIMP, Spyderoak and lots of other software just as I did on Windows, which made the transition practically painless. The WINE compatibility libraries have no problem the few unusual Windows programs I didn't have close equivalents for.

I also recommend skipping the "use Ubuntu!" advice you'll hear. As a Windows user, you'll be right at home with the KDE desktop. In fact, when I switched in 2010 from XP I got all of the features of Windows 7 combined with all of the major new features touted for Windows 8 (pause file copies, mount ISOs, copy-on-write file system, install on flash drive, even an optional touch interface, etc.) two years early and for free. I'd try OpenSUSE with the default KDE desktop option; that's what I settled on and haven't regretted it at all. I've also gotten a lot of things still not available with Windows like virtual desktops and one tool to update and manage all of the software on the system, and not having to hunt for drivers or set about installing flash, pdf viewer, codecs, archiver, etc., etc., etc. after installing Windows to make it usable is also wonderful. Having complete control over your own system is also a great feeling the first time you notice it, and you'll never be able to go back once you do. That MS could delete the registry key that allowed someone to disable Metro just sounds absurd and unthinkable to me nowadays and I can no longer understand how people can stand for it.

You won't regret the switch, and you'll be surprised how fast after installing Linux as a dual-boot setup that you're ready to get rid of the Windows partition because you never boot it into it. All the components of Linux are on a rapid development model and with everything in the open and people able to contribute (in ways such as testing or translating as well as coding) you might find you actually become excited about computing and software again - at least i did. There's always something new coming out or being worked on, and most distros have new releases every 6 or 8 months. You might also want to check out the Linux Action Show at jupiterbroadcasting.com for some great weekly podcasts about Linux and a large archive of previous shows. There's a lot of useful information and it's very entertaining - I was watching before I switched. :) I hope this helps. If you ever need help contact "alcalde" at the Linux Action Show subreddit and I'll help you out.

halcyon

Splendid
I'm not trying to troll but will Windows 8 be popular enough that hackers will want to bother? Like OS X Mountain Lion, I can't say there's any motivation to move from 10.7 or Win7.

G

Hi
I am a notebook thief ;-) and I can't wait for Windows 8 OEM notebooks and slates to come out in October! All I need to do is steal one from some punter in a pub and re-install Windows 8 from a downloaded Win8 install ISO (any one will do, they will all work). As the product key is embedded in the notebook BIOS, I don't even need to enter it in. Then I can sell the notebook in another pub and it will activate over the internet just like a brand new one. Brilliant - I don't even need the correct OEM DVD to reinstall Win8, it will be so easy!

G

I work in a computer store, the consensus is: Only a very small few like windows 8 - it seems to be more the people who are computer illiterate, i.e they want to play the same 'facebook' on the pc that they do on their phone. For ANY serious work, windows 8 is useless, it's a shame really as it's coded decent, maybe when they give users an option of start button or numpty mode (metro interface) then it may start selling, in the meantime, get ready for m$ to lower the price, it's failed miserably, of course m$ will blame the PC manufacturers, but they know.. for sure they know.. and they only did it cos they wanted us to play with the equally lousy windows phones!

Saravanan Karthik

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014
Hi,
I installed Windows 8 OEM for my lap (Lap comes with free DOS). I need update Product Key for Windows 8. How to i get Product Key for Windows 8 OEM ?

It comes with the Windows 8 OEM disk that you purchased. If you did not purchase it legally then it doesn't come with one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS