Windows 8 to Feature New OEM Activation Method

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
the current activation method of a single universal key that works for a single activation per system serial number allows for a lower production cost per system as a single pool of data can handle an entire production line.

much of the serial info comes from the supplier of the motherboards. Most motherboards are not designed with the only purpose of installing a specific version of windows, and almost no prebuilt system has a completely custom motherboard, thus requiring a special windows 8 activation hash in the bios will add an additional step to the production process. which will increase the production cost.

brucek2

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
[citation][nom]CaedenV[/nom]they can crack down on reactivation after upgrades and such (something that up until now they have been fairly generous with)[/citation]
There is nothing "generous" about this. Computers are meant to be upgradeable (or downgradeable.) Coordinating the work of and the communication between the various computing components is one of the primary jobs of an operating system. An operating system that can't handle changes to components isn't doing its job.

G

they should be happy if someone uses that POS .. even for free.

Kraszmyl

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
Does this mean you can't use a Dell win 8 disc to reload os on any win 8 dell?

You should be able to. What it is saying is you will have a unique key per system embeded in the bios in an unwritable portion of the bios.

Currently how the slic works is there is a universal key so lets say you bought a t3500 before windows 7 was released with a vista downgrade to xp. Well slic 2.0 supported any install or xp/vista. Eventualy when windows 7 came out dell had to start includeding slic 2.1 in its bios to support windows 7.

So at this point to get a copy of preactivated windows 7 on your xp/vista liscensed machine was grab a dell windows 7 disk and load it on there.

The new method will stop people from doing that. It will also stop people from extracting a slic like dells and appending it to a consumer motherboard bios for use as well.

That being said this may or may not be a nightmare for oems depending on how you transition the embeded key from system to system or if you just give the user a new key already embeded in thier replacement motherboard.

Tremec

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
What concerns me is as soon as you upgrade the component where the hash is derived from you will have to buy a new OS! I Don't think Windows 8 will be as big of a hit as 7, but M$ft will cram it down the OE manufacturers throat and make it unprofitable to offer Windows 7.
If your into touchscreen devices I can see the draw of windows 8 but it just feels like something for
preschool kids to learn and play on to me.

So what would happen if someone bought a pre-built system and later replaced the motherboard? They'd lose the code that was planted in their BIOS. Would Windows 8.0 then fail to activate? Would they be forced to purchase Windows 8 or would their pre-built system come with a unique CD/Product Key still?

Hellbound

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2004
This could be a headache for those who build on their system i.e. replace motherboards. The code would change. This is just one more reason why I'm not rushing to update to Windows 8. My Windows 7 64bit will last a long time.

Wamphryi

Distinguished
MS are offering Win 8 upgrades for $39 a license on line until January if what I read is correct. A good way to avoid OEM altogether really. MS are generally pretty flexible with the OEM licenses as long as they remain on one PC per license. It seems to me that this OEM move is to prevent hackers from taking advantage of the previous OEM system not to hinder the enthusiasts who rely on OEM.

teodoreh

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2007
[citation][nom]Sakkura[/nom]Microsoft's terms are pretty clear - you're not allowed to install an OEM version of Windows 7 on a computer you build for yourself or your family or friends. Only if you sell it. Yes, it's retarded, which is why I hope they'll change it back to the way it was before Win 7.[/citation]

Then why *MAJOR* PC shops in Greece (and I guess in other countries too) sell (with the silent blessing of Microsoft) OEM versions of Windows? This is hypocritic!

daglesj

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
[citation][nom]Movieman420[/nom]And the hit-miss cycle continues...Windows 98SE - MissWindows 2000 - HitWindows ME - MissWindows XP - Hit Windows Vista - BIG MissWindows 7 - BIG HitOh and you can bet that Daz and all the other crackers won't stop till they get it. Windows is the crown jewel of the cracking world ofc.[/citation]

Everyone misses out NT4.0 which was a huge mega hit around the turn of the century but then that messes up this list a bit. Nice to see revisionist history helping to make a slightly invalid point.

daglesj

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
Plus Windows 98SE was a big hit because other than NT4.0 there wasn't anything else on offer other than mouldy old 95 and the not quite ready 98.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
The tighter Microsoft squeezes us, the more we slip through their fingers.

Really, why do most of really need a Microsoft OS for? I haven't gone Linux yet... but check this out. Linux costs $0. Upgrades = $0. There is no OEM, Retail, Upgrade, Home, Basic, Pro whatever versions.

I'm migrating in a few years. In a few months, I remove Win8 from my test-notebook (used to warn people about Win8) and it'll be my Linux machine. Then, my main machines... and no more Microsoft.

One of my friends loves his WP7 phone. He tried out Win8 on my computer and after 15mins, he won't be putting Windows8 on any of his computers. I also told him about WP7 / WP8 issues... with the direction Microsoft is going, he's decided to not replace his WP7 phones with WP8 either.

Thank God I didn't get the Lumia 900. I would have been pissed.

Who is going to pirate Win8 anyway? MS is delusional! Its funny!

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]Thank God I didn't get the Lumia 900. I would have been pissed.[/citation]
What part of WP8 would help a Lumia 900, that isn't included in WP 7.8? If your Android phone isn't one of the thrice-blessed Google-sanctified models, you might miss out on a major upgrade too. No big deal - either use a custom ROM or just shrug and get the newest flavor when you replace your phone. Not too much will be missed.

People tend to get a new smartphone every couple of years. I mean shoot, I don't typically upgrade my PC's OS until I replace the whole box. Just a service pack or two. One reason I never ended up with a WP7 device was Verizon's WP "selection" is a single mediocre device, while other networks get better devices. The whole no-multicore-WP8-for-single-core-devices hate cracks me up. The only other big feature is *potential/hypothetical* cross-platform apps with Win8 - but all the haters are avoiding Win8, so there's really little reason to miss WP8 vs 7.8.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]cryio[/nom]Well, I find myself in a strange position now. I installed the RTM 2 days ago, and I must say, I adore the Aero-less look of the interface. And the activation prompt is less nagging than before. It's just an almost transparent sign in the lower right corner of the screen. You may not even see it.As for the activation, seeing as the trial isn't limited to 30 days, and it comes with 1000 rearms, I'm sure a crack/loader will be available 'till this version expires ^_^[/citation]
If you use it and like it, just buy it. It's cheap enough, especially the upgrades right now. Wait let me guess, you pirated Win7 too.

wethrowpie

Honorable
Aug 5, 2012
Sakkura you have no idea what you're rambling about. If you've been using retail versions instead of OEM/system builder versions you've been getting ripped off for years.

MS even lets you migrate to new installs by simply doing the call in and telling them that you aren't using it on multiple systems at once.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]The tighter Microsoft squeezes us, the more we slip through their fingers.Really, why do most of really need a Microsoft OS for? I haven't gone Linux yet... but check this out. Linux costs $0. Upgrades = $0. There is no OEM, Retail, Upgrade, Home, Basic, Pro whatever versions.I'm migrating in a few years. In a few months, I remove Win8 from my test-notebook (used to warn people about Win8) and it'll be my Linux machine. Then, my main machines... and no more Microsoft.One of my friends loves his WP7 phone. He tried out Win8 on my computer and after 15mins, he won't be putting Windows8 on any of his computers. I also told him about WP7 / WP8 issues... with the direction Microsoft is going, he's decided to not replace his WP7 phones with WP8 either.Thank God I didn't get the Lumia 900. I would have been pissed.Who is going to pirate Win8 anyway? MS is delusional! Its funny![/citation]
really...if linux was so good how come it's not very popular, because it is not....microsoft is doing very well...and that goes for apple also

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]Hellbound[/nom]This could be a headache for those who build on their system i.e. replace motherboards. The code would change. This is just one more reason why I'm not rushing to update to Windows 8. My Windows 7 64bit will last a long time.[/citation]
not really...all you have to do is call Microsoft and they will give you a new key for free...i have done it a few times, this only works as long as you can prove to me you have the original disk and packaging...if you purchased the product, this should be very easy to do....no hassle at all

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
I'd like to see an actual Windows disc included with each machine, not some stupid recovery disc that includes a ton of bloatware. Oh, and make metro optional (or dump it altogether). Would that be too much to ask?

rjandric

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
OEM licence forbids installing OS on ahoy machine other than the one it came with. Technically, you can install it on almost any machine that fit the req's using the key that came with it. Some OEM CDs (like HP) have BIOS check for vendor probably by using VB script and WMI:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa394077(v=vs.85).aspx

I gave up on Windows long time ago, and for someone who has been in the game since VIC20/C64 days, it's Linux/OS X for me. I just could not take that by buying licence you get half baked OS, no DVD playback support, no PDF viewer, dumbed down fine settings, archaic registry method (since when centralized database that holds info on everything in OS was good idea?). Anything other than using IE and connecting to the network you have to download/pay for (more likely latter one).
Even my kids have no problem using Linux so I can say Windows is on it's way out, and Win8 will be the final death knell.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]livebriand[/nom]I'd like to see an actual Windows disc included with each machine, not some stupid recovery disc that includes a ton of bloatware. Oh, and make metro optional (or dump it altogether). Would that be too much to ask?[/citation]
you have the option to burn your recovery on one or two dvds...it's actually very easy to do....also when burning the recovery dvd, you have the option what programs to be included in the recovery....when i do this for customers i usually only burn the drivers and the OS....very, very easy to do

Status
Not open for further replies.