Windows 8 to Focus on Faster Boot Times, Logins

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

balister

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
[citation][nom]260511[/nom]?????? how old are you? ignornt people thesedays. Microsoft haven't used FAT for paritions since almost decade since Windows XP, in which they introduced NTFS, Windows Vista and Windows 7 are all native NTFS. you don't even have the option to change the option to FAT32 during installation. (yes you still have the option to format things like flash drives and secondary drives into Fat32 format, however, that is not recommended by microsoft either way. you have to really thick to believe people still use Fat32 thesedays.[/citation]

NTFS is still a File Allocation Table (FAT). If you're going to call someone stupid, atleast know how Windows finds where information is stored on a hard drive.

G

I don't get it Hibernate Already works.
Does this mean Hibernate will now always occur on shutdown?
Will this make EJukebox start faster or will Hibernate still mess up my USB audio device?

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005

zdzichu

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
[citation][nom]zdzichu[/nom]Just to cite Linux kernel developer: [/citation]
The power management slides could be retitled “what Linux has done in the last three years”.

(stupid tag-trim)

rocky1234

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008
I am all for faster boots & all but I do hope that this face login in thing can be by passed would hate to have to rip the face off of a customer so I can work on their PC for them. (That was a joke by the way)a bad one yes oh well it is early yet lol. Oh I guess you could use a photo to login that would work most likely but if it did it would sure be a easy way to bypass security system I'm sure that would not work or at least shouldn't if MS does it right.

boogalooelectric

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
I hate the boot time for Windows 7, its so annoying, such a modern operating system and it takes forever for the tray to load.

Another thing that annoys me is I just bought Windows 7 and now we are talking about Windows 8, I am so so sick of Microshaft gouging my wallet, this crap is getting tiresome.

ArgleBargle

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008
I have 10 external USB hard drives attached to my computer (i950 w 12 Gb RAM and Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit). The OS takes half of forever to boot.

marsax73

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]Win 7 boot times arent bad at all unless you try to boot in on a substandard computer limited by io-system/cpu and or memory. Bios post times is one of the purchase factors when considering a MB, i just hope the MB makers start to realise that they can add value to their boards.Still recall the older bioses who didn't force autodetect on a zillion different devices like the ones today, you could disable the auto detection in most cases and "scan" them manualy once and in return get post time almost halved. Fewer and fewer bioses actually support this behavior sadly![/citation]

The new system I built boots up Win 7 in about 35 seconds from a cold boot. The sleep function works well bringing up the pc in about 10 secs. I'm pretty happy at this point. I mean I remember the 286 days where I could heat up a pizza in the oven by the time the OS loaded from the floppies. I think I can handle 35-40 secs.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
facial recognition, that has been around a long time? My alienware does - did that, I just turned it off, most annoying really. I am not really caring extra stuff, just make it fast to boot (SSD fast), not sleep not wake from hibernate just boot fast.

alphadark

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
I average between 20 to 30 seconds with Windows 7 x64 Pro.
My onboard raid controller takes longer scanning the drives then the operating system takes to boot.

Thats with 2 WD Caviar blacks, I'm sure solid state drives makes it even faster.

HavoCnMe

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
Oh I see it now...."Microsoft Technical Support how may I direct you call?" "My video recognition is not letting me on my laptop", "How do i get by this?" "Sir you will need to locate your Microsoft Windows Disk and perform a system restore." "Perform a what?"

LMF5000

Distinguished
May 30, 2010
I'm seeing a lot of comments by people who don't understand the exact difference between shutdown, hibernate and suspend. So here goes:

Shutdown ends all windows processes and then switches off the computer.
Suspend switches off all hardware except the RAM. So if you were to unplug a computer that's "suspended", you would lose your data in the same way that unplugging a running computer would.

Hibernate dumps the contents of the RAM onto the hard disks, and switches off the entire computer. When windows starts up, it just copies the dump from the hard disk into the RAM, and your computer will be exactly as you left it. No time wasted seeking the files (if you have a normal hard disk, not SSD), and no time wasted waiting for processes to start. You can unplug it, then plug it back, and when you power up it will be exactly as you left it. It does not consume any extra power to hibernate instead of shut down!

I always hibernate my laptop (it's just so much faster than booting up properly each time), and I keep it unplugged and with the battery on my desk when not in use. Like I said, it doesn't need power to retain the data when hibernated, it's all stored on the hard disk (which is why it takes longer to hibernate than to suspend).

The only disadvantage to hibernation is that it takes up more space (for example, if you have 8GB of RAM, you'd need 8GB of free space on the hard disk to hibernate), and puts more write cycles on your SSD (if you have one that is).

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
You can bet your last dollar that the FEDS (NSA) are neck deep in with Microbloat to ensure they have their hidden back doors like they did with XP, Vista and 7. Why do you think IE is tied to the kernel.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
I hate this "facial recognition/thumbprint recognition" garbage. How many people really need that level of security? Professional thieves will backdoor it regardless since it's still essentially just coded software, so it's really just making it difficult for average people to get in.
What happens when the webcam breaks MS, system reinstall? Oh wait, then I get to find out my copy of Windows won't activate for a reinstall. After all, the webcam isn't detected, my hardware changed!

Not really impressed by the fast booting thanks to hibernation either. I could do that now if hibernation didn't screw things up half the time. Boot times from BIOS-Desktop aren't going to be that bad once SSD becomes mainstream anyway, and it's your Mobo manufacturer's job to make a speedy BIOS. Can people not wait 10 seconds to use their computer?

Windows is just trying to copy Linux ideas now. By the time they do, Linux will have new ideas. They'd be better off trying to capitalize on the differences, like ease of use and compatibility. Ease of use doesn't mean disabling features completely though, leave the options there if you still want to attract power users.

boogalooelectric

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
Oh no's I said something bad about Micro suck, vote me down how dare I do such a thing.

I do not care if some of you dont like my opinion about Micro shaft, they are just as bad as Apple in my opinion, I am tired of both companies.

Make sure you vote this one down to -20.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
To me, these sore updates to the OS is not justifiable in purchasing it. I want to see some real change. Some real gains in performance. If code needs to be re-written... so be it. Also, Linux has a long way to go with code development. Yes, it supports everything under the sun but a lot of stuff isn't optimized. I have used it for months and ALWAYS come back to the dark side. Windows... JUST WORKS.

G

Oh hey I have an idea instead of being retarded and making the computer sleep instead of shut down so all those people who solve problems by restarting their machines come whining to me how about you eliminate the registry and have all the information self contained in the filesystem. Oh hey while your at it heres a wild idea why don't you write a new kernel instead of making windows NT 8. Wait I forgot that would be progress.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Well, I'm already pretty pleased with the startup time of my win7 box. In 20-30 seconds it'll go from a cold boot to up and ready (and it was under 20 before I installed the AV software). This is using a quadcore with an SSD however. My XP machine that boots from an SSD is slower (around a minute to minute and a half) but a big part of that is the RAID initialization and that it's only a dual core.

Dkz

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
Nah, what apple does is to sell their products to a freaking high price so the ones who actually buy them think they are something different apart from the rest of humans kind.
It's just freaking stupid pay like 3 times the cost of a core 2 duo, i don't give a rat's ass if comes with MCOS inside.. Don't like Windows? Use Linux but don't waste cash on a notebook that's just like any other and brag about you paid like 2000 us for it. That's just stupid... your ripping yourself off...

Status
Not open for further replies.