Windows 8 to Have Built-in PDF Reader

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]bison88[/nom]Apple and Linux have got away with murder allowing things that Microsoft would get slammed with monopoly lawsuits with and in return we get a less capable operating system because of it. What did the EU accomplish? Extra browser choices during installation in an age where most Windows users have come to the conclusion that IE is crap? Whoopty-doo EU, thanks for wasting everyones time.[/citation]
Linux doesn't use any kind of monopoly strategy. For example the browser that Microsoft ships with windows belongs to Microsoft. In case of Linux the browser isn't made by the company that made the distro, also the browser shipped with linux depends on the distro. I can be Konkeror, Firefox, Chromium, Chrome, Dillo, Epiphany, Iceweasel, Links, Lynx, Opera, SeaMonkey.

K33

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
A much bigger issue is the basic platform. I fix a lot of home user PCs. Most users are woefully ignorant of anything but basic security. Microsoft's defender and firewall were good steps forward, but data is still vulnerable when a machine is stolen or a drive discarded casually. IMO Microsoft needs to keep user data completely separate from the operating system and to have Bitlocker enabled as the default for each users data. I think this is a much more important issue which MS have not bothered with.

andrewcutter

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
well if they got into security buisness then they cant have it with os i think. if they bundle it, the other antivirus ppl will cry murder and demand that a ballot screen be made for them which lists n number of different companies.

K33

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Hi Andrew,
I am talking about security as in auto-data encryption and the sensible practice of keeping data separate from the system. They already have Bitlocker (data encryption tool)included in Win 7 - They just have not integrated it as default and the default settings keep data in numerous places muddled up with the system.

I guess its like having really good airbags for your car... but you have to know where they are stowed in the boot/trunk and then get someone to fit them. Would we accept that from a car manufacturer?

G

I think Microsoft should do this. If the EU balks at it. Then they should also have been upset with Apple which has had a reader for some time on its OS X. This will obviously benefit the user.

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
what could possibly be more lightweight than current existing platforms?

MS goes the way it always has, promising lightweight and fast, ending up with bloated super slow overloaded program, because their fast was incompatible with some of the newer standards!

tonydu

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
Years ago I was at the conference when Adobe announced the new concept of portable documents using PDF (I was working on the postscript source code). At that time, there was no standard way to move documents, so it was a very big deal and Adobe was uniquely positioned to push such a standard. Even then, there were obvious technical problems that remain to this day. So I'm inclined to forgive the brain damaged aspects of PDF, given its historical context. But I wouldn't mind seeing a new standard -- perhaps a modified HTML format for document distribution?

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]trandoanhung1991[/nom]Well, we should, like many stated, force apple to "include a choice of browsers and remove safari as the default browser". Or, how about forcing apple to "not include itunes as the default media player and include a choice of media players"?Apple is not big enough? Look at the number of people who religiously uses Apple stuff. I think they can influence the market they play in. It's called monopolistic competition.[/citation]
Apple in computers is not in a monopoly position. Their OS have less than 10% market share, while windows has 90%.

davewolfgang

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010

You can already do that with Office 2007 and later.

It's a little add-on that's free.

Are some people too lazy they can't even 'try' to look up anything?

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]Apple in computers is not in a monopoly position. Their OS have less than 10% market share, while windows has 90%.[/citation]
So what if in 3 years Apple takes over MS and has 90% of the PC market, will they go back and force Apple to do the same things they made MS do or will they ignore it?

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]Camikazi[/nom]So what if in 3 years Apple takes over MS and has 90% of the PC market, will they go back and force Apple to do the same things they made MS do or will they ignore it?[/citation]
They will most likely do the same thing.

icemunk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
Adobe is getting hit from all sides.. too bad they don't wake up and realize the Adobe Updater crap and all the extra junk it tries to install just annoys potential customers. Too much bloatware Adobe, wake up!

[citation][nom]davewolfgang[/nom]You can already do that with Office 2007 and later. It's a little add-on that's free. Are some people too lazy they can't even 'try' to look up anything?[/citation]
The title of the article is "Windows 8 to Have ...", not "Office 2007 ...". If PDF support is part of the OS, everything can use it.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]compton[/nom]Was I the only person on the planet to enjoy the Vista Beta?[/citation]
No, there are at least 3 other people that liked it, all of them are retarded however.

As far as goes having a built in PDF reader, great idea, it can add to the other items that should just be assumed to work automatically such as MP3s, JPEGs and DVDs.

However, to cut out bloat on installations we have to assume that everyone in the world has the internet (or at least, those that matter) so I would divest Windows of even more stuff at install and have it all as a downloadable option either via Windows Live or Updates.

By the way, Microsoft, if you are listening, put IE as an additional option via Windows Live also instead of having it solely on its own page as it will increase uptake from everyone going there to pick up Messenger and Mail.

Status
Not open for further replies.