Windows 8 to Make USB Portable Workspace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
[citation][nom]mobrocket[/nom]good job microsoft, copying from linux again...[/citation]

Oh jeez, give it a rest. Who hasnt borrowed ideas from the competition at this point?

flightmare

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2009
[citation][nom]mobrocket[/nom]good job microsoft, copying from linux again...[/citation]
Except for the fact this live image requires 16GB instead of

G

I dont think this is windows on the go like traditional portable OS, if i were a betting man this is more like a roaming profile on steroids, imagine working on an application, you need to show a college in another building something, you have to save all your documents, shutdown windows, go to his machine, copy all the documents start up the applications open the documents, it's a damn hassle, i had an idea a while back that it be nice if you could just save the state of your current work space go to another machine and deploy that workspace, now tie that into networked storage devices. You could almost eliminate the idea of employees having ownership of hardware assets

it makes for some interesting scenarios

gracefully

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
I agree with MobileWorkSpace over there. I imagine it's like this: You plug the device before logging in, and another clickable user appears on the logon screen, which you can log on to and magically see your entire user profile there, down to the AppData folder. You probably won't boot from the portable drive, you'll merely store the user profile on it. And I imagine that at this point in time, 16GB is overprovisioned for testing purposes. Besides, 16GB flash disks are cheap, and 500GB portable HDDs aren't exactly expensive.

G

16gb?
thats WAY TOOO BIG.
it will run and boot up reaaaaaaallly reaaally slow.
and there is no way that u can copy it into the ram....at the time when windows 8 will be released.

dread_cthulhu

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
This will be awesome for corporate IT support. It would allow the IT dept. to lock out the default admin account and anytime anyone has a virus, rather than having to go in as a network admin and risk screwing up and leaving that access available or giving the virus netw, they can remove the system from the network, login with this feature, and kill the virus without ever removing a system from someone's workstation. Seems like, from the screenies, this is going to be a feature of the Enterprise Edition, which would make sense from my standpoint... Probably will be on the "Ultimate" edition too, which will let us nerds play with it.

G

@gracefully

in fact with virtualization you could deploy direct to your college's desktop, you can use his existing logon to start a VM and deploy your workspace directly into that

it be feature like this that would really make an enterprise edition more then just an OS with better network features, although they may have to slow it's development down a bit..... otherwise corporates might just skip win7 and jump straight to win8 lol

Horhe

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2008
I agree that 16 GB is way too much. There are fully functional Linux distros that can fit on a CD. While reading the title, for a moment I thought that Windows will return to the pre-Vista size. Even to this day I can't understand what and why Windows Vista / 7 features take up so much space compared to Windows XP.

G

@cadder

not required for a corporate setup, the majority of corporates would run a 80-90% homogenous setup, that is to say 80-90% of the applications would be on the majority of all the machines

visa

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
Since we don't have the details about this I think it's a little early to criticize the 16GB minimum size. I think some people here are just assuming it's a flat installation of Windows 8 but I'm not so sure.

I tend to think of it more like MobileWorkSpace posted earlier. It's listed as a portable workspace but I would have to assume some of the user's files are going to be there in addition to the OS files. Maybe it will be like a portable, roaming profile. In that case the 16GB seems reasonable, especially if other programs move over with it.

G

@futtla

i dont believe it would be a stand alone win8 installation, it would probably utilize an existing win8 installation and inject itself into that

in fact if you really think about it the possibilities are really interesting, the windows experience may come in two parts, the core would be installed onto a machine (whether x86 or ARM based), instead of logging in you would instead virtualize a workspace inside that core, the workspace would adapt based upon the core it has virtualized into, for instance a tablet would get cloud stuff, a desktop maybe gaming, it would mean a single profile that can roam across different hardware..... imagine a smartphone (easily have over 16GB of space) can be used to login and virtualize your workspace into any machine

ok back to reality....

JackNSally

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Horhe[/nom]Even to this day I can't understand what and why Windows Vista / 7 features take up so much space compared to Windows XP.[/citation]

Winsxs and drivers mainly.

Tomtompiper

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
[citation][nom]x3style[/nom]Yeah 1GB of useless stuff...[/citation]

Yes, useless stuff like video players, audio players, browsers and the like! But no anti-virus???? I wonder why? After taking two hours to "Fix" a friends laptop because he was stupid enough to click on a pop up window that offered a free anti-virus package I will stick with my useless Linux distribution and leave you to hours of jittery video and stalling programs because your computer is running a virus scan.

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
If Microsoft wanted to rule the world, they would give the OS away for free. Subsidizing the cost through development tools, office and an assortment of other products that will sell on their new OS. Either that or bump the price up $10-20 on the OS and give the development/productivity tools away. Microsoft had better change soon or they will find themselves living in a Linux world. Their (M$) business model is flawed in the fact that they are making the development tools for their OS prohibitively expensive. What makes an OS great isn't the OS itself, but the tools/games that are produced for it.

notuptome2004

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
we wont get winFS at all as it was discontinued and parts of it ended up in many different Ms projects like MySQL and even small tid bits in windows itself so no winFs as of right now

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS