Windows 8's Advanced Task Manager Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

davewolfgang

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
The should have at least a toggle for "normal PC" or "tablet/touch PC", so that for us normal users we don't have to put up with the HUGE icons taking up all that screen space.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
It needs to show what network resources are being used (sockets and such), not this big stupid icon crap. Granted with the later windows, they are showing "Image Path Name" and "Command Line", which are great, but you still have to correlate a PID with the output of "netstat -ano" from the command line.

gogogadgetliver

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
[citation][nom]davewolfgang[/nom]The should have at least a toggle for "normal PC" or "tablet/touch PC", so that for us normal users we don't have to put up with the HUGE icons taking up all that screen space.[/citation]

They've got a level of detail dropdown in the upper right there.

General MS UI design will put small compact icons near what you are working on and large ones far away. Think right click vs ribbon.

They are actually pretty good at making UIs. I'm having faith this will turn out.

gogogadgetliver

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
[citation][nom]hoofhearted[/nom]It needs to show what network resources are being used (sockets and such), not this big stupid icon crap. Granted with the later windows, they are showing "Image Path Name" and "Command Line", which are great, but you still have to correlate a PID with the output of "netstat -ano" from the command line.[/citation]

Resource monitor in Win7 does this. No need to drop to a netstat. See Network tab then check a box by the process.

As for the big touch friendly icons.. there seems to be a detail slider in the upper right.

mobrocket

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
I am a little surpised that MS is leaking details of Windows 8 already... the adoption of Windows 7 isnt even fully in swing...

if its a more tablet friendly o/s i would call it by a different name

Diversian

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2005
[citation][nom]gogogadgetliver[/nom]They've got a level of detail dropdown in the upper right there.General MS UI design will put small compact icons near what you are working on and large ones far away. Think right click vs ribbon.They are actually pretty good at making UIs. I'm having faith this will turn out.[/citation]
[citation][nom]gogogadgetliver[/nom]Resource monitor in Win7 does this. No need to drop to a netstat. See Network tab then check a box by the process.As for the big touch friendly icons.. there seems to be a detail slider in the upper right.[/citation]

Except for Windows Phone 7 UI...

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
No process tab, no handles, no libraries, no physical x virtual RAM usage meters, no resource details/meter per process. It's certainly the least "advanced" task manager MS has ever made.

secolliyn

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
All new Advanced Task manager will now show you less info and options it also makes it that much easier to screw up your computer by giving normal users who know about Task manager access to Registry editor witch we all know someone will need to mess with because it's there and well do you think M$ will put disclaimers up telling the user that changes there are made in real time?.... I doubt it. Thanks MS for making something that's worked for the last 3 versions of windows into something that is going to be more confusing less informative and all around a bad idea it's what I've known and grown to expect from you.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
Is it just me or is finding actual information on the health and status of your computer terrible in Windows 7? Like there are 10 differnet programs not really in the same place. For example you have the task manager, device manager, advanced tools (under performance info and tools under settings) disk defrag, disk cleanup, performance monitor- all in a bunch of differnet places.

[citation][nom]hoofhearted[/nom]It needs to show what network resources are being used (sockets and such), not this big stupid icon crap. Granted with the later windows, they are showing "Image Path Name" and "Command Line", which are great, but you still have to correlate a PID with the output of "netstat -ano" from the command line.[/citation]

Keep in mind that big icons on a tablet usually show up much smaller on a PC due to the DPI and size of the monitors used in comparison to a small tablet with lower resolution, and they've always had a way to change the icon size in windows since 95.

schmich

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
As a gamer, I would like a feature to have a resource monitor overlay that can be shown whilst gaming.

Graphs for ram usage, CPU usage, GPU usage, temperatures on the latter two etc.

gogogadgetliver

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
[citation][nom]secolliyn[/nom]All new Advanced Task manager will now show you less info and options it also makes it that much easier to screw up your computer....[/citation]

Yeah yeah, settle down. There has been an incremental improvement to each iteration of task manager for several versions now. Don't take a leaked screenshot from prerelease software that you can't tweak or configure (notice that detail slider in top right?) and LEEEAAP to some far off conclussion. Oh, and it's MS, not M$. It's 2011 now, not 1999.

gogogadgetliver

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
[citation][nom]11796pcs[/nom]Is it just me or is finding actual information on the health and status of your computer terrible in Windows 7? Like there are 10 differnet programs not really in the same place. For example you have the task manager, device manager, advanced tools (under performance info and tools under settings) disk defrag, disk cleanup, performance monitor- all in a bunch of differnet places.[/citation]

Just you. Most of those things are consolidated into Computer Management. The rest would just start adding bloat to an otherwise good interface. You know you can make custom MMCs right?

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
just what i needed - an easy way to kill tasks. Not too reassuring about windows stability, but at least they make killing tasks user-friendly.

Status
Not open for further replies.