Windows 8's Steam Usage Already Outpacing Mac OS X

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Its still amusing and sad at the same time seeing all the throwaway accounts being made just so people can spread their moronic FUD without making their main account look bad. Could they be any more immature?

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]compuservant[/nom]The vast majority of Steam's installs are going to be on consoles so this article is really pointless.[/citation]

Are you mentally retarded? I'm being serious too, are you?

G

Quote "Real gamers don't use mac... so this doesn't say anything."

such a childish answer why even bother posting such a pointless comment, a game is a game no matter what system, so real gamers only use a pc in your world ? well try going outside your bedroom and looking in the real world and you will find loads of other formats ... erm how many ps'ps2,p3 , xbox, xbox 360 games are there?? oh they not real games too then ? ... real gamers lol wtf get a real life.

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
Considering there are probably more people with Atari 2600's hooked up to their TV's than there are gamers on mac, I'm not surprised.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I'm thinking this next gen of PS4 and XBOX 720 will be the last harrah for consoles. Atfter that, the PC market will probably be dead and our smart phones will be able to handle what our current desktops can., just hookup to a docking station.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Have PCs and a Mac (for web testing)... I'd not use a Mac for simple gaming.
Bet I am not the only one with that attitude and it has an effect on those percentages.

[citation][nom]CaedenV[/nom]hehe...*chuckle*ha ha ha ha PFFFfffffffffffHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH*sigh*Thanks, I needed a good laugh! Nothing against linux, I use it myself, but there is no way it will become the king gaming platform.[/citation]

...and there is no way a linux variant coming from a flipping phone is going to seriously push windows out of tablets....

kellybean

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
[citation][nom]bejabbers[/nom]Real gamers don't use mac... so this doesn't say anything.[/citation]
Played Satr Craft on Mac for years with NP. Sure MS has had a monopoly in the gaming area because of Direct X but times are changing. Long Live Open GL.

geost91gr

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012
Makes sense given the number of games available for MacOS on Steam... By the way, Macs can be used for mainstream gaming... just install Windows on them. :)

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
[citation][nom]kellybean[/nom]When you have monopolized the gaming market with Direct X for over a decade what do you expect. Long live Open GL.[/citation]Even though Sony and Nintendo have been using OpenGL-based graphics. Also, you can use OpenGL on Windows. DirectX's advantage though is Microsoft's commitment to kissing programmer ass. So, you not only have the DirectX community, but a very wealthy corporation putting in money to help you figure out how to use DirectX.

faust_67

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
I am using Linux myself most of the time and I agree that it will not become a gaming platform any time soon (I am not a gamer so I don't really care). However, Linux could be used as the operating system for a game console with well defined hardware making it possible to have optimized drivers. In a way Linux is already used for gaming: unless I am wrong Linux is at the center of Android and many games are running on Android. Far from games on desktops PCs but not a bad start.

G

Darkerson, truth you can't handle the truth!!! You are a content consumer with no idea the amount of work that the content creators go through to produce the content that you so mindlessly consume! The windows 8 Metro/Modern UI is a content consumer's applience controll panel, but it is not for and hurts the productivity of the content creators who need a REAL OS to do REAL work! content creators need task bars, and multiple, resizeable windows for the serious multitasking that it takes to create the content

faust_67

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]I'm thinking this next gen of PS4 and XBOX 720 will be the last harrah for consoles. Atfter that, the PC market will probably be dead and our smart phones will be able to handle what our current desktops can., just hookup to a docking station.[/citation]
The PC market will be dead? About 350 million PCs were sold this year. 350 million per year of anything is still a lot. Smartphones might become desktop replacements one day (then they will simply become PCs, just a lot smaller), but it will not happen anytime soon. PCs are a lot faster than current smartphones, have more memory, more storage, and can be easily upgraded. I don't see myself compiling a Linux kernel on a smartphone. I don't see a graphist manipulating a multiple huge picture files in photoshop or gimp doing that on a smartphone. I don't see large databases running on a smartphone. I don't see a server running on a smartphone. You get the point. There are plenty of applications for professionals that require PCs. However, I agree that smartphones can replace PCs for a lot of things that do not require too much CPU power (web browsing, writing documents, small spreadsheets, media players, light games, etc.). I think we will simply see two different markets for different usages.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]kellybean[/nom]Played Satr Craft on Mac for years with NP. Sure MS has had a monopoly in the gaming area because of Direct X but times are changing. Long Live Open GL.[/citation]
Macs are a long way from being the ideal gaming machine. The top of the line iMac comes with a GeForce GTX 680MX, which isn't a bad gaming GPU. That is when it's on a laptop. Most gamers know that if they wasn't to play on a laptop they need to compromise on the performance of the computer, but they're unwilling to do the same on a desktop. To put things in perspective, a simple GeForce GTX 660 Ti, which is perhaps the cheapest GPU in the minds of gamers when buying a gaming machine, has this GPU beaten. Then it has the problem of upgradability, or more precisely, lack there of. If Apple made a Mac Pro like computer but without the workstation CPU they would have a better platform for gamers, but it would also most likely be too expensive for anyone to care.

G

Silly article. There are more PC's than Macs, so anything done on a PC will outpace a Mac! LOL

G

Linux isn't going to be used until directx isn't the dominant game API.

mac isn't going to be used until directx isn't the dominant game API.

Anything except windows isnt going to be used until directx isnt the dominant game API.

I wish directx never became the dominant game API, but it did....

If an open source graphics API was instead the dominant game API, things would be very different.

faust_67

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
[citation][nom]tsnor[/nom]...and there is no way a linux variant coming from a flipping phone is going to seriously push windows out of tablets....[/citation]
Push windows of tablets? I don't understand your statement since windows virtually does not exists in the tablets market. Can you clarify?

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]Sure, TOTALLY Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft are going to allow a competing software to be installed on their products.[/citation]

Gabe himself frontlined the Steam support for PS3 a couple E3's ago, but yeah how/why would a single console's usership outdo a traditionally PC service.

G

The classic example of a NOOB.

MAC = Unix
Winblowz = cheep virus ready, unstable rubbish
Linux = Unix

I wonder if the Noob can work out his mistake.

>dauntekong 12/08/2012 7:32 AM
>Macs are for toddles and special needed people
>Windows are for gamers and average users
>Linux are for super intelligent users and hardcore hackers

And yes I do play all he games I want on Unix...
I wonder if the Noob can work that one out as well.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]jumpityjump888[/nom]The classic example of a NOOB.MAC = UnixWinblowz = cheep virus ready, unstable rubbishLinux = UnixI wonder if the Noob can work out his mistake.>dauntekong 12/08/2012 7:32 AM>Macs are for toddles and special needed people>Windows are for gamers and average users>Linux are for super intelligent users and hardcore hackersAnd yes I do play all he games I want on Unix... I wonder if the Noob can work that one out as well.[/citation]
The classic example of a NOOB.

Linux is not Unix

kellybean

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
[citation][nom]DryCreamer[/nom]Windows 8 isn't that horrible... I don't really see the struggles everyone else is having... its been working fine for me. most people only use like 6 different thing on their computer anyways, so once they get those things on an icon or tile, they'll forget about all their frustrationsDry[/citation]MS tool

Status
Not open for further replies.