Question Windows 98 question... From boot to sleep

Aug 31, 2021
Guys! I have a question.
I'm on win 98 and when i boot it goes to win98 screen then "it's safe to turn your cp off" you know, the vicious circle.
I can go to safe mode and dos.
What is my problem?
Thanks in advance grid!

Apr 14, 2022
Guys! I have a question.
I'm on win 98 and when i boot it goes to win98 screen then "it's safe to turn your cp off" you know, the vicious circle.
I can go to safe mode and dos.
What is my problem?
Thanks in advance grid!
I'm no expert but I repaired computers for a hobby along time ago . Go into safe mode press windows key and r key in the box type msconfig open the boot tab and make sure you have normal boot selected . If is is not this problem then listen to the other replys

This is probably salvageable if you can find another PC with a working operating system to plug the drive into. Windows 98 doesn't really do anything to protect the data on the boot drive.
He can already boot into dos so he can copy anything to any media he has access to.
If he has a motherborad that recognizes usb-hdd he can just stick a usb drive in there and copy the files to that.
There are also usb stacks for dos if your mobo is older and doesn't have that feature.

Reactions: MasterMadBones
Aug 31, 2021
No problem with moving files. I just want to save the system since there is plenty of software and hardware installed (2 midi interfaces, 2 scsi interfaces and sound card) and it will be pain in the arse to set up all irq/dma-s again.