TurkzZ

Distinguished
May 12, 2005
Hi, i jsut wanted to ask some questions about Windows and the key.

Now when i install the windows xp from a cd, you have to put in a cd key, does this have any corralation to the windows key you must input after instalation?

Or can i use any windows cd to install and then put in new key codes.

And lastly is it possible to use the same windows key from a laptop or mates PC on a new home built PC?

Thanks

Windows XP prompts you for a product key only once, and that is during installation. If you're getting prompted for a key AFTER installation, then your key is either blacklisted or already in use on another computer.

To answer your second question... no. If a retail version was installed on the laptop, you could remove it from the laptop and install it on the desktop... but you cannot use the same key on multiple computers. The days of 95/98/ME/2000 keys are over.

TurkzZ

Distinguished
May 12, 2005
basically i built a new PC, andhavent got a windows cd, now i have a laptop i no longer use with a windows key, can i use the laptops key on the PC. Will Windows find out?

And is there not some sort of CD key one has to input when installin windows before you have to input the windoes activation key?

If the copy of Windows XP came with the laptop (OEM copy of Windows), then it cannot be removed from the laptop and installed on the desktop. (Well, at least according to MS's license agreement). If you purchased the Windows XP after you bought the laptop and it is a retail copy, then you are allowed to uninstall it from the laptop and install it on the desktop.

If it is an OEM copy, it may not install on the desktop anyway. Many OEM manufacturers (Dell, HP, etc) check the motherboard's BIOS to ensure that it's being installed on the particular type of machine it was made for... it won't install on a computer from a different manufacturer.

TurkzZ

Distinguished
May 12, 2005
i havent actually got a windows xp cd, i was goin to use ma mates CD install windows and use my old laptops XP key.

is this allowed and would they find out and stop ma windows , wel put that windows genuin stuff on my pc

fattony

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
not allowed first of all, since hes the soul owner of that copy and its license

you can install it, but upon activation it may need you to call MS to verify owernship info...i guess you could scam it if your buddy calls and get you a new activation code...risky and messy tho

if hes never going to use that cd again, its still the same process since ms doesnt allow you re-sell their product

conroe

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2006
Basically, just install it.

If it activates your good to go, but if you have it installed on two computers and have WGA installed it will fail WGA.

If you need to activate it you will need to call them. Just tell them what you did and they may or may not give you the code you need.

It is possible to buy a license, and it's usually cheaper than purchasing the CD... but since you have built a new computer, why not purchase an OEM copy of Windows? I don't think the price difference will be all that huge, and then you'll have a CD of your own.

fattony

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
WGA does encourage users who don't have a valid version of windows to purchase a license online through MS legally...but yea you should weigh out the prices to see what will actually be better