Question Windows BSODing every 15-20 minutes.

Neostarwcc

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2013
Okay so every 15-20 minutes or so I use my computer my computer restarts randomly for no good reason. This is highly annoying when it happens in the middle of a raid or dungeon and you're the tank and people have to wait for you to get back in.

This error started ever since I switched my video card back from a 2060 super to a 3090. I updated all the drivers including the ones from intel and I'm still having this problem. I even updated the 3090's bios and firmware and the same thing.

I checked Event Viewer and the errors I'm getting are:

"The cplspcon service terminated with the following error:
Unspecified error"

and several warnings that are:

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{2593F8B9-4EAF-457C-B68A-50F6B8EA6B54}
and APPID
{15C20B67-12E7-4BB6-92BB-7AFF07997402}
to the user DESKTOP-O0KEBD9\Shane SID (S-1-5-21-784352595-785276959-3374858363-1001) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

and:

The machine-default permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{C2F03A33-21F5-47FA-B4BB-156362A2F239}
and APPID
{316CDED5-E4AE-4B15-9113-7055D84DCC97}
to the user DESKTOP-O0KEBD9\Shane SID (S-1-5-21-784352595-785276959-3374858363-1001) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost_10.0.19041.1023_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy SID (S-1-15-2-155514346-2573954481-755741238-1654018636-1233331829-3075935687-2861478708). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

Does anybody have a clue what's going on? If you need the full event log just ask me. But, I've tried everything to fix this. Online microsoft is suggesting reinstalling the drivers for the intel graphics chipset but I downloaded the latest ones intel has and the problem still exists. I've tried every solution on the internet I just dont possibly know what could be going on here. The video card I installed is brand new and worked flawlessly before. Maybe I'll just reinstall windows and see if that will resolve the problem.

Neostarwcc

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2013
Ok this is really weird it has nothing to do with windows at all. I formatted my hard drive last night and it's STILL doing the same thing (Restarting randomly and coming up with the same exact error)

Neostarwcc

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2013
Tell what psu you have.

Corsair AX850. I've had this 3090 for over a year and its caused me problems since day one. First it didn't matter what temps it got to it would max the fans and sound like an airplane going off. Then I have all kinds of problems with the Hybrid kit and spent probably $300+ in shipping fees sending crap to EVGA trying to get these issues fixed. They finally fix the video card and then this happens.

Ok since I formatted it, I'm not getting any errors at all just critical "Unexpected shutdown" errors. I am getting these warnings that are apparently according to microsoft safe to ignore. They are 10016 events. I've googled all over the place and it says anywhere from edit the registry (Which I did and I'm still getting the warnings) to "It's safe to ignore this."

We'll something is causing my computer to restart I dont know if its the latest GPU drivers and the recent W10 update or what. Just seems odd I restick in my video card that worked perfectly before and it shuts down every like 15 minutes I try to game.

That or maybe my video card is overheating. But wouldn't it only forcibly restart if the video card got to dangerous temperatures? (Like 100c +) Most of my hotspot temperatures are in the high 80s or low 90s. I'm just completely stumped at this.

Corsair AX850. I've had this 3090 for over a year and its caused me problems since day one. First it didn't matter what temps it got to it would max the fans and sound like an airplane going off. Then I have all kinds of problems with the Hybrid kit and spent probably $300+ in shipping fees sending crap to EVGA trying to get these issues fixed. They finally fix the video card and then this happens.

Ok since I formatted it, I'm not getting any errors at all just critical "Unexpected shutdown" errors. I am getting these warnings that are apparently according to microsoft safe to ignore. They are 10016 events. I've googled all over the place and it says anywhere from edit the registry (Which I did and I'm still getting the warnings) to "It's safe to ignore this."

We'll something is causing my computer to restart I dont know if its the latest GPU drivers and the recent W10 update or what. Just seems odd I restick in my video card that worked perfectly before and it shuts down every like 15 minutes I try to game.

That or maybe my video card is overheating. But wouldn't it only forcibly restart if the video card got to dangerous temperatures? (Like 100c +) Most of my hotspot temperatures are in the high 80s or low 90s. I'm just completely stumped at this.
You get these shutdowns with the 2060 and the 3090 is that correct?

Reboot and wait 5 mins then run this and post a link to the results.
PC Benchmark

After that is done grab a copy of memtest86 and put it on a flash stick.
Boot memtest and let it fly for a few hours.....no errors allowed.

Neostarwcc

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2013
The 2060 super was fine although I havent tried it again since this started happening. My computer was running fine until EVGA sent my 3090 back in the mail. It worked for about a week with no shutdowns and now all of a sudden I'm having problems. I tried using lower graphics drivers too didn't help. Which makes me curious that this just might be an update that microsoft did to w10. Because I even had the same issue after doing a low level format. Will post PC Bench results in a bit. Need to reboot and wait.

Neostarwcc

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2013
I can't test it it wont let me finish. I tried it at least 4 or 5 times and it crashed at the very end. Looking for events to see what might have happened.

Ok the only error logs I'm getting are the 4 10016 Events that microsoft says I can ignore and I tried editing the registry like they said to fix. Otherwise there's nothing going on except for one critical error (Computer shutdown prematurely) and one regular error (The previous shutdown was unexpected)

When it's trying to benchmark my 970 evo plus SSD is when it's restarting. Which oddly enough is the drive with windowbusy. My video games on it. Maybe the newest windows update is super bugy. That or I might have some bad sectors on my SSD checking that now.

Okay I ran it through Crystal disk info and it's still at 100% health. So this has GOT to be a problem with windows. There's no other explanation.

Last edited:
I can't test it it wont let me finish. I tried it at least 4 or 5 times and it crashed at the very end. Looking for events to see what might have happened.

Ok the only error logs I'm getting are the 4 10016 Events that microsoft says I can ignore and I tried editing the registry like they said to fix. Otherwise there's nothing going on except for one critical error (Computer shutdown prematurely) and one regular error (The previous shutdown was unexpected)

When it's trying to benchmark my 970 evo plus SSD is when it's restarting. Which oddly enough is the drive with windowbusy. My video games on it. Maybe the newest windows update is super bugy. That or I might have some bad sectors on my SSD checking that now.

Okay I ran it through Crystal disk info and it's still at 100% health. So this has GOT to be a problem with windows. There's no other explanation.
Run this.
Speccy - Free Download

Then read this and do the part about publish to the web.
Provide a link to the speccy run.
Speccy...publish

Neostarwcc

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2013
I thought maybe the problem was gone since it could now be benchmarked. Nope. It's still restarting. I was tanking some mythics and it was annoying having to come back every like 3 minutes just to instantly reset all over again. Somebody suggested it being the Power Supply box but, I honestly dont think so. Maybe though?

I'm using a Corsair ax850 PSU.

I thought maybe the problem was gone since it could now be benchmarked. Nope. It's still restarting. I was tanking some mythics and it was annoying having to come back every like 3 minutes just to instantly reset all over again. Somebody suggested it being the Power Supply box but, I honestly dont think so. Maybe though?

I'm using a Corsair ax850 PSU.
Go back to UBM run it a few times without the sata disk attached and then a few times with the sata disk attached.
What happens?

Get that usb stick out of the mix for now.

Neostarwcc

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2013
Ok so after much debugging and testing I've narrowed it down to two things. GPU or PSU. It has to be one or the other. So I'm testing the card in my wife's machine. Here's hoping her cheap PSU don't completely explode the second we turn it on.

But if she can game for a few hours without the same thing happening it has to be my PSU. If the same thing happens I have to open yet another RMA with EVGA. That or just say <Mod Edit> it, sell my 3090 and buy an ASUS 3080 TI.

Last edited by a moderator: