[SOLVED] windows cannot find the microsoft software license

Apr 20, 2020
im attempting to boot windows off my usb and install to my new m.2 drive. im running into problems once i get to the install section. once i choose the windows version i am prompted with "windows cannot find the Microsoft Software License Terms. Make sure the installation sources are valid and restart the installation".

ive downloaded the ISO file from windows and im using Rufus. i have also followed a few help guides already, all say pretty much this-

im at my wits end. please help

Solution
On a different working PC, you download the MediaCreation tool.
Run that (from an Admin account), and it will create the USB for you to use.
On your PC with the NVMe drive...boot from that USB and continue with the install.
Skip where it asks for the license key.
After it is done, that's when you log in and it will figure out the licensing.

If this install FAILS, then either the USB is faulty or some hardware on the PC is faulty.
Given fully functioning hardware, it will not fail to install.

Apr 20, 2020
Where did the original Windows license come from?
Are you installing the exact same version as it had before?
How did you create the USB to install from?

I'm installing the exact same version as the one on my hhd (windows pro).

I downloaded from the windows media creation tool. i ran rufus to create an ISO to run off of.

one cause for error maybe the fact im not typing in a product key since my key is linked to my microsoft account and i would activate it once i get to the sign in screen.

D

Deleted member 14196

Don’t use rufus at all. Use the Windows media creation tool to create the USB it’s really simple. Rufus is not good

I made be wrong, but I don't think this is a licensing/ activation issue, rather it's purely an installation error. The error is not windows can't find a software license, it's windows can not find software license terms. Further, during an install of Windows 10, if Windows asks for a a COA, you are given the option of "I don't have one" and the Windows install will continue. From what I have read, this error occurs when you have a corrupted install media

Last edited:
Reactions: Alabalcho
Apr 20, 2020
(update) i have attempted to use key loggers to find the product activation key as to cut out an option of failure. once i put in the key it says that its invalid. looks like i must go down the route of using "i dont have a product key" and then verify when i login to my microsoft account when this is all fixed

Apr 20, 2020
What is the exact error message?

You're doing a full clean install?
You have all other drives disconnected?

i am doing a a clean install, its a brand new m.2.
i do have all other drives disconnected.
"windows cannot find the Microsoft Software License Terms. Make sure the installation sources are valid and restart the installation".- that happens immediately once i choose what windows i want to install

USAFRet

Titan
(update) i have attempted to use key loggers to find the product activation key as to cut out an option of failure. once i put in the key it says that its invalid. looks like i must go down the route of using "i dont have a product key" and then verify when i login to my microsoft account when this is all fixed

Uh, yes...that is exactly what you do.
Skip entering the license.
Once it is installed, THEN you log on with your MS account and it will figure out the licensing.

A keylogger? That does not retrieve your license key.

Apr 20, 2020
I made be wrong, but I don't think this is a licensing/ activation issue, rather it's purely an installation error. The error is not windows can't find a software license, it's windows can not find software license terms. Further, during an install of Windows 10, if Windows asks for a a COA, you are given the option of "I don't have one" and the Windows install will continue. From what I have read, this error occurs when you have a corrupted install media

im downloading the IS0 straight from windows, is it possibly being corrupted at any stage in which im using rufus?

ive attempted to just use the windows creation tool via usb without rufus and i think i remember getting a different error message even before reaching the activation key

USAFRet

Titan
On your PC with the NVMe drive...boot from that USB and continue with the install.

If this install FAILS, then either the USB is faulty or some hardware on the PC is faulty.

Solution
Apr 20, 2020

(update)
ive ordered a USB stick to try and boot off. its the only thing ive not changed and is the only thing ive not done that you have recommended. I will respond once the gods of amazon grant me my prrize.

TRENDING THREADS