Question Windows Cannot load the Drivers Required for This Device (Code 31)

mschwennes

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
Windows 10 PC has never worked well; it is set up to do only one thing: run Blue Iris 3 with 6-8 cameras. It's very slow and BI shows the CPU almost always running at 100%. I happened to notice recently that when I checked the properties for the Intel(R) HD Graphics card, it says "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers for this device (Code 31). The card was actually listed twice in the Display Adapters, and I decided to delete one of them. After restart, I got one Intel(R) HD Graphics card and one Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. The Intel still is listed as not working properly, while the Microsoft adapter is shown as working normally. When I tried to update the Intel card driver, it wouldn't update ("Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software...."). I refreshed Windows 10 (I forgot the actual terminology for the refresh but that's basically what it did or tried to do. After the "refresh," when I tried to update the Intel driver it said it already had the best driver. And, the Intel card still isn't "working properly."
I'm wondering if anyone might have an easy solution for this. If I just delete the other Intel, am I going to make things worse? The computer is a Dell and Dell diagnostics did not pick up on the problem.
If I end up doing a worst-case Window reinstall, is there a chance that the Intel graphics will come back online properly?
Any help greatly appreciated!

Windows 10 PC has never worked well; it is set up to do only one thing: run Blue Iris 3 with 6-8 cameras. It's very slow and BI shows the CPU almost always running at 100%. I happened to notice recently that when I checked the properties for the Intel(R) HD Graphics card, it says "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers for this device (Code 31). The card was actually listed twice in the Display Adapters, and I decided to delete one of them. After restart, I got one Intel(R) HD Graphics card and one Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. The Intel still is listed as not working properly, while the Microsoft adapter is shown as working normally. When I tried to update the Intel card driver, it wouldn't update ("Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software...."). I refreshed Windows 10 (I forgot the actual terminology for the refresh but that's basically what it did or tried to do. After the "refresh," when I tried to update the Intel driver it said it already had the best driver. And, the Intel card still isn't "working properly."
I'm wondering if anyone might have an easy solution for this. If I just delete the other Intel, am I going to make things worse? The computer is a Dell and Dell diagnostics did not pick up on the problem.
If I end up doing a worst-case Window reinstall, is there a chance that the Intel graphics will come back online properly?
Any help greatly appreciated!
What are your full system specs?