Question Windows can't boot and drops random errors

lightc

Honorable
Sep 30, 2016
Hi there,
I'm having weird problem with my newly built PC. It's been running for few weeks and all of a sudden today it starting to show me some character. Yesterday turned off and today had all kind of error messages right after I tried to turn it on. It was all running well without issues before, maybe one or two random blue screens just after install process, but overall, I had no issues with it.

These are the messages I had from restart to restart:

Error code: 0xc0000221

Error code: 0xc0000098

Stop Code: SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED

Stop Code: SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION

Stop code: IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL

It logged in Windows and then crushed again and then again and then different blue screen and so on. Tried to google those codes and followed the instruction but nothing really helped. Last bit was I cleared cmos and after that system booted normally without any issue. Any clue where the possible issue could be? I'm leaning towards memory, but it's on the QVL list and I don't know, shouldn't have been a trouble free experience? The only OC I had was the memory preset, but it was running fine since I installed windows and applied it, even on the stress tests it didn't crush.

So yeah, I'm pretty confused, I still can return my memory if that's the case, the question is, can it cause all these errors?

My system:

Ryzen 3900x
msi meg x570 ace
radeon 5700xt
crucial ballistix elite 4x8gb 3600mhz 16-18-18
corsair hx1000i power supply

Colif

Win 11 Master
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...ck-0xc0000221--status-image-checksum-mismatch - uncommon boot error

0xc0000098 - common enough boot error

Did clearing cmos stop bsod or they still occuring?

Do you have latest BIOS for motherboard as they can often fix minor incompatibilities with ram

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem

Some of those BSOD can be caused by software. Bottom 3 anyway.

Reactions: lightc

lightc

Honorable
Sep 30, 2016
Thanks for the detailed answer!

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

I've tried to follow this thing, probably didn't get the whole thing, but there are the files from minidump

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/30...d6310cd2408f5fc99b01ada620190809133748/a289c7

Did clearing cmos stop bsod or they still occuring?

Yes

Do you have latest BIOS for motherboard as they can often fix minor incompatibilities with ram

No, will do it now

Colif

Win 11 Master
i have sent the link you gave to a friend called gardenman who will look at them in a few hours once he wakes up. If you lucky, someone else might read the dumps as well.

its possible that whatever setting was changed after CMOS reset was enough to fix the bsod

you could Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/jjvY.html
File information:080919-8781-01.dmp (Aug 9 2019 - 07:07:28)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M (1000007E)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 02 Min(s), and 30 Sec(s)

File information:080919-8718-01.dmp (Aug 9 2019 - 06:42:25)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3B)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: taskhostw.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 54 Sec(s)

File information:080919-8609-01.dmp (Aug 9 2019 - 06:43:48)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: explorer.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 44 Sec(s)

File information:080919-8328-01.dmp (Aug 9 2019 - 07:01:50)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: MsMpEng.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 10 Min(s), and 18 Sec(s)

File information:080919-8203-01.dmp (Aug 9 2019 - 07:03:52)
Bugcheck:IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (A)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: svchost.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 14 Sec(s)
Comment: The overclocking driver "NTIOLib_X64.sys" was found on your system. (MSI Afterburner or other MSI software)

Possible Motherboard page: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MEG-X570-ACE
There is a BIOS update available for your system (version 1.3). You are using version 1.1. Wait for additional information before deciding to update or not. Important: Verify that I have linked to the correct motherboard. Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

lightc

Honorable
Sep 30, 2016
Thanks guys for helping! Sorry about my original post, I've only now noticed in gardenman signature and what I should've include in my original post 🤦‍♂️

you could Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes.

Doing this now

Verify that I have linked to the correct motherboard.

Yes, that's the correct motherboard.

There is a BIOS update available for your system (version 1.3)

Updated to 1.3 already before you posted your message. 😬

Comment: The overclocking driver "NTIOLib_X64.sys" was found on your system. (MSI Afterburner or other MSI software)

Yeah MSI installed all kind of crap software but their Dragon Centre is still not firing anything, "Waiting for SDK..." screen is on every time I open it. Reinstalled it and nothing happened. Fun thing is, it worked from the beginning and then stopped for no obvious reason. Googled that issue and on their forums, many are having the same thing but no-one has an answer for that.