Windows can't read updates.

Vid Dovgan

Reputable
Dec 23, 2014
So this problem occured about a week ago. I'm running a 64 bit version of Windows 7 ultimate. So basically windows told me that upon shutting down my PC It was going to install 14 new updates. And it did that no problem. Next morning I turned on my PC and Windows didn't boot properly. My PC kept rebooting because Windows said it wasn't able to configure the updates properly. Finally after about an hour of this it just reverted the updates and booted me normally onto my desktop where I was presented with the message that the system is gonna install the same 14 updates again. So after I turned it off and turned it back on in the morning the same thing happened. Over and over again I have to wait like 1 hour for my pc to boot to desktop because of this. I am normally good with PC's and stuff but this is beyond me. I have no clue what to do.

Thanks to whoever is gonna help me and have a nice day :D

Solution
You don't need to uncheck them. Go into windows updates, and search for updates. When it comes back and says you have so many updates ready to install, you can click on the number of updates, and it will show you each one. It will categorize them as important and optional. The ones that are failing, you can hold down the ctrl button and click each one, and then right click and hide them. Then, the next time you search for updates, they won't appear.

gbb0330

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015
go into windows update. change your settings to 'download updates but let me choose whether to install them'
go into 'view update history' and try to determine which update is failing.
go into the list of updates right click and hide the failing update, or just hide all 14 of them if you don't know which one.

Vid Dovgan

Reputable
Dec 23, 2014

But what if it says that the update is "important" ? What do I do then?

gbb0330

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015

its OK, you can live without it, especially if it breaks your computer.

Vid Dovgan

Reputable
Dec 23, 2014
Yeah guys... I'm actually still confused as to what to do. So far I haven't made any progress and the computer is still doing the same thing.
Following the guides of the first answer I have done the following:
1: I have set the option to download the updates but let me choose weather to install them... which made no difference whatsoever.
2: I have determined which updates are failing through the update history.
But I haven't done the third option since I don't understand what you mean by it. I just want these updates gone so I won't have to wait one hour to actually use my PC everytime I turn it on.

Vid Dovgan

Reputable
Dec 23, 2014

This is the part I don't understand. Where exactly do I highlight these updates... like what tab of windows update. Sorry I literally have no idea about this

You don't need to uncheck them. Go into windows updates, and search for updates. When it comes back and says you have so many updates ready to install, you can click on the number of updates, and it will show you each one. It will categorize them as important and optional. The ones that are failing, you can hold down the ctrl button and click each one, and then right click and hide them. Then, the next time you search for updates, they won't appear.

Solution