[SOLVED] Windows Defender Necessary With BitDefender Free?

jazee

Reputable
Aug 18, 2018
I'm using BitDefender Free and I think I've always had Windows Defender turned off. Had very very few issues with blocking of legit traffic/apps/websites with either. However I downloaded some Trading Software and Windows Defender blocks it. The list of exceptions is long and would be a pain in the butt to enter them all ( https://help.act.com/hc/en-us/articles/360024247434-Using-your-antivirus-firewall-software-with-Act- )
I was under the impression Windows Defender has a port blocking firewall - so people can't do things like Remote into Your Computer or utilized other network exploits that may come up in Windows. I'm just not familiar with the Bitdefender Free's specific functionality and if there are any important holes that Windows Defender fills.

caktus

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2012
As Windows Defender is an Antivirus (+ anti other types of malware) it should automatically disable when another Antivirus software is installed, as using more than one Antivirus can have disastrous consequences—e.g. they may view each another as viruses and/or malware. As with many folks, I too used other brands of free Antivirus software. But when I began using Windows 8 about ten years ago, I began using Windows Defender. Windows Defender began as an Anti-malware only. But Windows Defender has evovled into an Antivirus AND Anti-malware. I have only used Windows Defender exclusively and all has been secure ever since.