Windows doesn't recognize the onboard sound card on P35-DS3L

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

blaze739

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2007

the only way i got it to work was to format the drive and start over. when you install the drivers from the cd, only install the inf and lan drivers first. then restart and install the other drivers one-by-one. it seems to only work if you install the microsoft driver before the realtek drive. i got it to work and it sounds great. dont touch the drivers from the website because i think thats what screwed me up

blaze739

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2007

same here. i am able to install xp pro, but i cant get my full 250gb to work. itll only let me format 130gb. ive updated service packs, ive tried partition magic, ive tried disk management, and ive tried slipstreaming my cd to sp2. it acknowledges that the drive is 250gb, but if i format more than 130gb, it crashes as soon as the format reaches 100%. its driving me crazy :heink: :cry:

kaeota

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2007

this aint actually too big of a problem, as at about 150 gb (forget the actual number) NTFS changes the way it encodes your files, and it takes up more space per file (YES, i know this for a fact, i watched my usage go down after i dropped back to a 100gb partition from a 175 gb). so really, it's helping you :)

momo06

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2007
go and search for windows patches KB888111 you problem should be resolved or maybe you can get this patch from the Gigabyte cd driver. Now my sound card is working not working very properly, because only right side speaker and my sub woofer is working, but left side speaker does'nt. I confirmed my speaker is working which i tested via my mp3, cable got no problem and all the balance setting are correct, but only right side speaker is working... anyone can help me this..

brandonros

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
I had the same problem and figured it out for mine. My problem was two things... 1. When I tried to use the latest drivers from gigabyte's website, the installation instructions require you to kind of setup the new drivers twice. It wants you to install it and shut down. Then it wants you to intall it again until you have the HD Audio Manager in your task manager. 2. I only have a single jack for my speakers so when it's plugged in, it indicates analog in the audio manager and whichever plug is plugged in, the color is darkened. I have to right click the colored jack in the audio manager and click connector retasking. I then had to select headphones. Then it worked fine. I hope this helps anyone.

Sid3way

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
I'd do a fresh new install, and ran windows update after the first boot up. on XP, you might need to install ethernet driver first. the drivers supported by microsoft should be the correct one to use.

speedlingz

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2007
same here guys! i downloaded the hd audio drivers from the cd, but it keep popping up new hardware need to be install but it can't find any drivers to be downloaded. then i went to the realtek website and downloaded the hd audio drivers there, but it wouldn't let me install it saying "Hd audio something something install failure"
whats the problem!?

Well for everyone out there I have built 3 PCs around the DS3L/R, etc. I never had a problem with them BUT one of the board's sound died after OCing the CPU. Easily fixed with a PCI sound card. The DS3x series motherboards are very solid when it comes to performance (esp. OC'ing).

infinity81

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2007
Interestingly I had an audio problem with the board, but managed to fix it by making sure I had all my drivers updated before I did anything else with the computer. At all.

speedlingz

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2007
ok guys! problem solved for me!

if you have windows xp professional these are the steps to get the hd audio to work
1) update ur windows first to service pack 2
2) get the microsoft hd k888111 patch from the gigabyte cd
3) get the hd audio drivers from the realtek website (don't get it from the cd)

if you have any problems let me know

nobrainerzz

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009

Yep! Switched onboard audio from AUTO to ENABLED... Fixed it when nothing else would. Thanks bro.