Windows dual boot, virtural windows or Flash drive.

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Here my setup right now

Area 51 5550I R3
Core 2 t7600 2.33 ghz
2 gb of Ram
GForce Go 7600 256mb
250gb hard drive.

Vista runs good on my 60gb hard drive. Some time next week I will get a 250gb hard driv and I think there might be a few programs that might not work on vista. Or games might work better in XP.

What I learn so far there 3 ways I can setup this laptop with 2 OS.

1 Is Windows Dual Boot
2 Virtural Windows
3 Windows in your pocket 8 gb flash drive

http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/09/09/windows_in_your_pocket/index.html

What do you all think will be a good setup.

Solution
I personally would go Vista and find freeware alternatives for the apps that don't work. If you really need XP and compatibility mode doesn't work for those apps, a straight dual-boot is the better way to go.

pkellmey

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
What is the main purpose of the PC and what will be your main OS? If you are doing Vista, with XP virtual, games won't work so well. A flashed Windows is just another type of dual boot - and is slower because of USB speeds - not recommended unless if you have serious hard disk issues. Straight dual-booting means installing twice (one in both OS) if you want the apps available in both instances - but allows you the greatest flexibility of all your options.

pkellmey

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
I personally would go Vista and find freeware alternatives for the apps that don't work. If you really need XP and compatibility mode doesn't work for those apps, a straight dual-boot is the better way to go.

Solution