Windows Essentials 2012 Now Supports Windows 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

rebel1280

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]Nice, but I think I will stick to Photoshop and Premiere...[/citation]
i wonder what the price difference is between Photoshop and Premiere compared to movie maker...

classzero

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]Nice, but I think I will stick to Photoshop and Premiere...[/citation]
How many soccer moms have Photoshop or Premiere? How many soccer moms can use Photoshop and Premiere? Oh the list could go on and on . . . But yes Adobe makes a more featured product.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
MovieMaker is pretty good for the price ($0) its simple to use, especially for a quick project you want to throw together. Its NOT a professional product in any way, nor is it trying to be.

I think even a typical novice maybe able to figure it out within 5~30minutes... depending how smart they are.

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
"Windows Essentials 2012 Now Supports Windows 8" It's good their is more programs starting to support win8, but wheres the win8 support for the consumer. As long as their is metro-UI and no start button, this is one consumer that's not supported by win8. I don't know about other people, but I know I'm gonna skip win8 and keep vista/7, it's not worth it upgrading to WinME with BOB-UI.

gtajunky

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
" As long as their is metro-UI and no start button, this is one consumer that's not supported by win8." -shafe88

You do realize that metro is the start button, only full-screen? Play with Windows 8 instead of blinding bashing something because it is new. It is not as familiar as previous versions of Windows, but once you get the hang of it, it is actually works quite well.

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010

Yes I did try Win8, and metro is not the start button, all's metro is, is a modified version of media center with less eye candy, and the ability to launch apps.

I don't mind the 'Metro" gui that much. One thing that I don't like is that I wish that there was a way to make the tiles larger, and change colors etc. I also wish that in the 'Metro' Internet Explorer, that one could access their existing I.E. favorites.

Overall, It appears to be a faster o/s than Windows 7. Granted, I have not really installed anything onto it on my 20gb partition.

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
it seems that you can't read anything about windows 8 without having people complain about the start button. Nobody seems to mention that everything that is accessible through the beloved start button seems to be found under "all apps" in win 8 All apps is a continueous side scrolling page that seems to have everything. Finding things in all apps seems faster than the start button. Microsoft needs to put out an ad. No start button????? No problem (while showing all apps) 2 steps instead of 6 or 7 seems like it might be faster. I didn't like windows 8 at first either, but I am a quick learner. Slower learners may want to wait until service pack 2. Am I putting windows 8 on my 3 machines at home? No, but it is not because of a start button. I will stick with windows 7 because they are asking me to pay for media center. With no MCE improvements they have zero chance of me upgrading. If you are not going to upgrade, you should have a good reason. MCE, tiles scare me, and I am cheap are better reasons than the lack of the start button.

Danny, you have a good suggestion for win 8. They also need a sleep,shut down, and restart button, that is quick to get to.

I agree with you keither5150 on the sleep/shut down suggestion that you've made.

IE 10 and the whole o/s seems a lot more responsive to me and I'm only running an Intel Core 2 Duo with 6gb and an Nvidia 9800 GT.

I also really like the fact that they've finnally added a builit-in spellcheck/autocorrect feather for the whole o/s. So when you're typing posts/comments into Facebook, they get corrected as you type (I'm currently on the Windows 7 partition, so excuse any typos/spellings).

[citation][nom]shafe88[/nom]"Windows Essentials 2012 Now Supports Windows 8" It's good their is more programs starting to support win8, but wheres the win8 support for the consumer. As long as their is metro-UI and no start button, this is one consumer that's not supported by win8. I don't know about other people, but I know I'm gonna skip win8 and keep vista/7, it's not worth it upgrading to WinME with BOB-UI.[/citation]

You can install a new start menu (several such programs do this for free and still work in the RTM because they're installing a new stat menu rather than trying to use MS's version) and you can simply not use Metro. There you go; both of your problems with Windows 8 are resolved and you didn't even have to get used to the new UI if you don't want to.

Example programs that could be used include ViStart/ViOrb and Classic Shell.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]MovieMaker is pretty good for the price ($0) its simple to use, especially for a quick project you want to throw together. Its NOT a professional product in any way, nor is it trying to be. I think even a typical novice maybe able to figure it out within 5~30minutes... depending how smart they are.[/citation]

Fair enough. You get what you pay for (and not always).

G

Win 8 is not compatible with Movie Maker as they have disabled the burn to DVD. This is probably the one function that MM is supposed to be able to do, but instead, they now have a pile of non-functional save choices. And, some of the save choices make it impossible to restore/edit in MM. What a nightmare of a product. No real effort a useful integration with the looser Win 8 Pro OS!

I use Windows Movie Maker 2.6 on Windows 8; I also used it on Windows 7; They deleted the timeline feature starting in Vista I believe; They basically made it not usable other than to upload it to your computer from the camcorder.

Status
Not open for further replies.