Windows Explorer Opening View

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

Win XP Pro, SP2

I can't get Windows Explorer to open up with the left hand "Explorer Bar" to
show the list of folders. It always opens with "File and Folder Tasks,"
"Other Places," and "Details," showing.

I've tried Tools|Folder Options|View|Apply to All Folders, but that doesn't
work.

What am I missing?

Thanks.
Ken

You don't want to show common tasks.

start/run, type:

control folders

see the radio buttons for 'show common tasks' or "Windows classic"

--

Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
"Ken" <allstates[no_spam]air@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:uewPcL5MFHA.3928@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Win XP Pro, SP2
>
> I can't get Windows Explorer to open up with the left hand "Explorer Bar" to show the list of folders. It always opens with "File
> and Folder Tasks," "Other Places," and "Details," showing.
>
> I've tried Tools|Folder Options|View|Apply to All Folders, but that doesn't work.
>
> What am I missing?
>
> Thanks.
> Ken

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

I'm half-way to where I want to be. Your reply removes the common tasks
from the left-hand side, but now there's *nothing* in the so-called
"Explorer Bar." How do I get the left-hand side to display the "Folders."
(i.e. directory tree). As before, I can switch to in manually, and then
"Apply to all folders," but that doesn't do it.

Thanks.
Ken

"Mark L. Ferguson" <marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> You don't want to show common tasks.
>
> start/run, type:
>
> control folders
>
> see the radio buttons for 'show common tasks' or "Windows classic"
>
> --
>
> Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
> FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
> marfers notes for windows xp
> http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/chatNotes.htm
> .
> "Ken" <allstates[no_spam]air@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Win XP Pro, SP2
>>
>> I can't get Windows Explorer to open up with the left hand "Explorer Bar"
>> to show the list of folders. It always opens with "File and Folder
>> Tasks," "Other Places," and "Details," showing.
>>
>> I've tried Tools|Folder Options|View|Apply to All Folders, but that
>> doesn't work.
>>
>> What am I missing?
>>
>> Thanks.
>> Ken

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

That did it! Never would have found that one by myself...

Thanks.
Ken

> I'm half-way to where I want to be. Your reply removes the common tasks
> from the left-hand side, but now there's *nothing* in the so-called
> "Explorer Bar." How do I get the left-hand side to display the "Folders."
> (i.e. directory tree). As before, I can switch to in manually, and then
> "Apply to all folders," but that doesn't do it.
>
> Thanks.
> Ken
>

> "Mark L. Ferguson" <marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> You don't want to show common tasks.
>>
>> start/run, type:
>>
>> control folders
>>
>> see the radio buttons for 'show common tasks' or "Windows classic"
>>
>> --
>>
>> Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
>> FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
>> marfers notes for windows xp
>> http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/chatNotes.htm
>> .
>> "Ken" <allstates[no_spam]air@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> Win XP Pro, SP2
>>>
>>> I can't get Windows Explorer to open up with the left hand "Explorer
>>> Bar" to show the list of folders. It always opens with "File and Folder
>>> Tasks," "Other Places," and "Details," showing.
>>>
>>> I've tried Tools|Folder Options|View|Apply to All Folders, but that
>>> doesn't work.
>>>
>>> What am I missing?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>> Ken

To set Explore as the default action, follow these steps:
a.. Open My Computer window.
b.. Click Tools, Folder Options, then click File Types.
c.. From the list, locate the entry FOLDER with extension of (NONE).
d.. Click Advanced, select Explore, then Set Default.
e.. Click OK and close the dialog.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Ken" <allstates[no_spam]air@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Win XP Pro, SP2
>
> I can't get Windows Explorer to open up with the left hand "Explorer Bar"
> to show the list of folders. It always opens with "File and Folder
> Tasks," "Other Places," and "Details," showing.
>
> I've tried Tools|Folder Options|View|Apply to All Folders, but that
> doesn't work.
>
> What am I missing?
>
> Thanks.
> Ken

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

Now I have a problem with Control Panel -- it opens with the "Explorer Bar"
showing the directory tree instead of common tasks. Can't find a way to
change that.

see line 154: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

--

"Ken" <allstates[no_spam]air@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:OM7GJF7MFHA.436@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Now I have a problem with Control Panel -- it opens with the "Explorer Bar" showing the directory tree instead of common tasks.
> Can't find a way to change that.
>

> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote in message news:%231n7e15MFHA.3708@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> To set Explore as the default action, follow these steps:
>> a.. Open My Computer window.
>> b.. Click Tools, Folder Options, then click File Types.
>> c.. From the list, locate the entry FOLDER with extension of (NONE).
>> d.. Click Advanced, select Explore, then Set Default.
>> e.. Click OK and close the dialog.
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "Ken" <allstates[no_spam]air@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:uewPcL5MFHA.3928@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>>> Win XP Pro, SP2
>>>
>>> I can't get Windows Explorer to open up with the left hand "Explorer Bar" to show the list of folders. It always opens with
>>> "File and Folder Tasks," "Other Places," and "Details," showing.
>>>
>>> I've tried Tools|Folder Options|View|Apply to All Folders, but that doesn't work.
>>>
>>> What am I missing?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>> Ken

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

Uhh, before I do anything, did you mean Line 145 (and not 154)?
> see line 154: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
>
> --
>
> Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
> FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
> marfers notes for windows xp
> http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/chatNotes.htm
> .
> "Ken" <allstates[no_spam]air@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Now I have a problem with Control Panel -- it opens with the "Explorer
>> Bar" showing the directory tree instead of common tasks. Can't find a way
>> to change that.
>>

>> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> To set Explore as the default action, follow these steps:
>>> a.. Open My Computer window.
>>> b.. Click Tools, Folder Options, then click File Types.
>>> c.. From the list, locate the entry FOLDER with extension of (NONE).
>>> d.. Click Advanced, select Explore, then Set Default.
>>> e.. Click OK and close the dialog.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>>> Windows XP Shell/User
>>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>>

>>> "Ken" <allstates[no_spam]air@yahoo.com> wrote in message

I mean the one about control panel

--

"Ken" <allstates[no_spam]air@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:erTyXZ7MFHA.1884@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Uhh, before I do anything, did you mean Line 145 (and not 154)?
> "Mark L. Ferguson" <marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eawrlM7MFHA.2704@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> see line 154: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
>>
>> --
>>
>> Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
>> FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
>> marfers notes for windows xp http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/chatNotes.htm
>> .
>> "Ken" <allstates[no_spam]air@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:OM7GJF7MFHA.436@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>>> Now I have a problem with Control Panel -- it opens with the "Explorer Bar" showing the directory tree instead of common tasks.
>>> Can't find a way to change that.

SanoTooo

Honorable
Jun 30, 2013
In XP Pro SP3 Ramesh's solution is what I was looking for.

No issues with the Control Panel display. I got ALL folders to open with folder tree in the left panel as the default view. Thanks