Windows explorer toolbar disappeared

Status
Not open for further replies.

Last week my Windows Explorer Toolbar disappeared. When I open "my
documents" or any other folder on my computer, the top toolbar isn't present.
I can't access the file menu, change folder views, or anything.

I've run several checks for viruses or malware using McAfee and AdAware with
no significant results.

I suspect it's a problem in Windows, but I can't figure out how to repair it.

I keep Windows up to date, and running extremely lean. I have few extra
processes running.

I attempted a system restore back to the day before the problem occurred.
Upon startup, I would get an error message stating Windows Explorer Must
Close. I did an unrestore.

Anyone who has had this problem... and fixed it... I'd love to hear from you.

Same asnwers as in microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain

Here are some things to look at and/or try.

In no particular order, but, please read it all.

In Full Screen (F11) the Menu Bar, the Address Bar and Links can be added.

You can also right click the Toolbar and select Menu Bar.

Alt + V will open the View menu where you can uncheck Full Screen.

The Menu Bar has:
File
Edit
View
Favorites
Tools
Help
-----

You will have to try these in both Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer.

Try Alt + Spacebar and select Restore.
or Alt + Spacebar + R.

Try Alt + V and UNCheck Full Screen.
or Alt + V + F.

Try Alt + V, point to Toolbars and select Menu Bar.
or Alt + V + T + M.

Also the File menus could have been removed do to Group Policy and/or a
registry setting.

Open the Registry Editor...
Start | Run | Type: regedit | Click OK |
Navigate to >>>
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
Policies\Explorer
and/or
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
Policies\Explorer
Value Name: NoFileMenu
Value Type: REG_DWORD
Value Data: 0 or 1
0 = The File menus are active.
1 = The File menus are removed or disabled.
NoFileMenu not listed in registry = The File menus are active.
---

If XP Pro, use Group Policy, this does NOT work for XP Home...
Start | Run | Type: gpedit.msc | Click OK|
Navigate to >>>
User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\
Windows Explorer\
Remove File menu from Windows Explorer
Set to: Not configured

Remove File menu from Windows Explorer
[[Removes the File menu from My Computer and Windows Explorer.

This setting does not prevent users from using other methods to perform
tasks available on the File menu.

Removes the File menu from My Computer and Windows Explorer, and disables
the File menu in Internet Explorer.]]
---

IE or WE Missing Address Bar
Start | Run | Type or paste: REGSVR32 /i BROWSEUI.DLL |
Click OK | Reboot

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:FEBC7EC8-95C3-442A-A30B-67335027FEBA@microsoft.com,
SunFyre <SunFyre@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:17207ADF-6931-49AC-9B2C-3182FC26FC5A@microsoft.com,
SunFyre <SunFyre@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Last week my Windows Explorer Toolbar disappeared. When I open "my
> documents" or any other folder on my computer, the top toolbar isn't
> present. I can't access the file menu, change folder views, or anything.
>
> I've run several checks for viruses or malware using McAfee and AdAware
> with no significant results.
>
> I suspect it's a problem in Windows, but I can't figure out how to repair
> it.
>
> I keep Windows up to date, and running extremely lean. I have few extra
> processes running.
>
> I attempted a system restore back to the day before the problem occurred.
> Upon startup, I would get an error message stating Windows Explorer Must
> Close. I did an unrestore.
>
> Anyone who has had this problem... and fixed it... I'd love to hear from
> you.

See www.dougknox.com, Win XP Utilities, Repair Missing Toolbars in Explorer/IE.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"SunFyre" <SunFyre@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:17207ADF-6931-49AC-9B2C-3182FC26FC5A@microsoft.com...
> Last week my Windows Explorer Toolbar disappeared. When I open "my
> documents" or any other folder on my computer, the top toolbar isn't present.
> I can't access the file menu, change folder views, or anything.
>
> I've run several checks for viruses or malware using McAfee and AdAware with
> no significant results.
>
> I suspect it's a problem in Windows, but I can't figure out how to repair it.
>
> I keep Windows up to date, and running extremely lean. I have few extra
> processes running.
>
> I attempted a system restore back to the day before the problem occurred.
> Upon startup, I would get an error message stating Windows Explorer Must
> Close. I did an unrestore.
>
> Anyone who has had this problem... and fixed it... I'd love to hear from you.

Thank you! It worked. Your first suggestion worked fine, I didn't need to
try the others. I'm thankful not to need a reinstall.

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> In Full Screen (F11) the Menu Bar, the Address Bar and Links can be added.
>
> You can also right click the Toolbar and select Menu Bar.
>
> Alt + V will open the View menu where you can uncheck Full Screen.
>
> The Menu Bar has:
> File
> Edit
> View
> Favorites
> Tools
> Help
> -----

Reinstall should *NOT* be your first thought when something is messed up.
Nine times out of ten, it's something that you did. You being any one of
us. ;-) Reinstall should be your last thought.

Keep having fun. :)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:33D67A3B-D133-4986-997C-34D1720F5F22@microsoft.com,
SunFyre <SunFyre@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Thank you! It worked. Your first suggestion worked fine, I didn't need
> to try the others. I'm thankful not to need a reinstall.
>
> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
>> In Full Screen (F11) the Menu Bar, the Address Bar and Links can be
>> added.
>>
>> You can also right click the Toolbar and select Menu Bar.
>>
>> Alt + V will open the View menu where you can uncheck Full Screen.
>>
>> The Menu Bar has:
>> File
>> Edit
>> View
>> Favorites
>> Tools
>> Help
>> -----

jfaulkner44

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
I have a similar problem that hopefully one of you can help me with. My 'standard buttons' are no longer showing horizontally under the toolbar. I now have the 'back' button over to the right with a down arrow which contains the rest of the buttons and they are showing vertically when I click on the arrow.
Note: I have tried dragging that to the old location to no avail.

Any help sure would make my life easier. It's the little things like this that drives me crazy! LOL
Thanks so much

jnbmurphy

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2008
BTW, Maximize and F11 full screen are NOT the same!!!!!

Use the F11 full screen to be able to add back in the Menu and Toolbars you need.

Thanks again.

It is amazing how a simple back button can be missed even though I know I could just hit Alt Left arrow.

jfaulkner44

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
I'm not sure if jnbmurphy's reply was for my problem or the problem before mine, but just so anyone that reads my problem knows it has been solved.

I am embarrassed to say that I had the toolbar locked. Duh! Once I unlocked it, I got a little arrow on that vertical toolbar and was able to click on it and there was my horizontal toolbar back again.

Judy F.
SW Florida- USA

Hi all. I am having the same problem in the last few weeks as that described on this thread. I have tried all recommended fixes and none of the above have solved the problem. I'm not sure what advice people could give, but any would be appreciated.