[SOLVED] Windows fonts

xantoo

Honorable
Jan 22, 2015
Hello,
Few days ago I did a clean windows 10 system reinstall and then copied my old fonts folder over to Windows/Fonts without installing them. For some reason it didn't install any of them but they are there based on Fonts folder size, I just cant access them or even see them (show hidden files does not work).
So the question is, how do I clean Fonts folder to system default? Don't want fonts that I can't use using up system space so I just need to delete or wipe whole folder.
Thanks.

Solution
Go into the Fonts folder.
Add "Date Modified" to the column choices.
Sort by date.

You should be able to identify the ones YOU added.
no idea
but u can install them and then uninstall them

heres how to install them:
press window key (to open start menu)
type font settings
open font settings from suggestions u get (should be at top as best match)
then u will see: add fonts - drag and drop files there
open font folder, select all files and drag and drop them to add fonts

once done
scroll down too see your installed fonts
click on any u dont like to open it and here u can use uninstall button to remove ugly fonts

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Fonts don't "auto install" just because they've been dropped in the Fonts folder. There's a reason there is a font installation process (and the moment you see "install" in any context think "registry entries are created" as a general rule).

As has been noted, if you have the necessary native files available for installation they can be selected from any folder.

xantoo

Honorable
Jan 22, 2015
no idea
but u can install them and then uninstall them

heres how to install them:
press window key (to open start menu)
type font settings
open font settings from suggestions u get (should be at top as best match)
then u will see: add fonts - drag and drop files there
open font folder, select all files and drag and drop them to add fonts

once done
scroll down too see your installed fonts
click on any u dont like to open it and here u can use uninstall button to remove ugly fonts

But won't it just install them again and those unused ones will still remain and claim space so I will have same fonts twice? At this point I don't even need to install them at all, I'll just use font manager, I just need to somehow remove them.

xantoo

Honorable
Jan 22, 2015
Fonts don't "auto install" just because they've been dropped in the Fonts folder. There's a reason there is a font installation process (and the moment you see "install" in any context think "registry entries are created" as a general rule).

As has been noted, if you have the necessary native files available for installation they can be selected from any folder.

To be honest, I'm pretty sure that I did install them not just copy them because I've been working with fonts for more than decade but that's not important anymore because something went wrong. The fact is that they are NOT INSTALLED but they are in fonts folder based on size. I can't access them, I can't see them and can't use them because they're not installed, but they are there...

it wont install them again...whatever font is already installed will be skipped, it will just add whichever u still miss

As for installing them again, I can install them fine without skipping because like I said before they are not installed. Basically if I install font "ABC" then I will have font "ABC" and somewhere in that same Fonts folder I will have another duplicate of font "ABC" which is not installed, that's the problem.
Somehow I just need to access whole Fonts folder not just installed fonts and remove all of them because I have around 10k fonts which right now just waste space.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
The amount of space that font files take is very small indeed. Unless you are very space constrained this is the last thing I'd be worrying about.

Very few font files are over 150KB in size.

But, as you've already been told by @USAFRet, if you sort by date you should have all of the stuff that you just copied in clustered together for easy removal.