"Windows found software for your device but encountered an error when trying to install it"?

Barney6262

Honorable
Oct 20, 2013
Hello, I have recently replaced the hard drive of my laptop (Samsung ANP305V5A-A05DX) with a new WD black drive.

I re-installed windows 7 and most drivers so the laptop is functioning however I am unable to install the wireless driver (atheros AR9485WB-EG). Whenever I try to install it though 'windows update' (saying the driver is an important update) it trys to install it but comes back with an error screen:

Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for your device

Windows found driver software for your device but encountered and error when attempting to install it.

Atheros AR9485WB-EG Wireless Network Adapter

There is no driver selected for the device information set or element

If you know the manufacturer of your device, you can visit its website and check the support section for driver software

I have tried to contact Samsung (as the support section drivers do not seem to function) but they have been useless. My laptop model is not even listed on their site and anyone I talk to has no idea how to fix it...

Thanks for any help

Barney6262

Honorable
Oct 20, 2013
Hi digitaldoc, thanks for the reply.
If I download the top link I get a driver installer utility (drivertoolkit) which identifies various drivers I need but requires me to pay to install them?
If I download the link below it then I get a file which contains files (PDB, System file, etc) but I don't see an EXE and I don't know how to install those files?

Thanks again.

Barney6262

Honorable
Oct 20, 2013
I tried manually installing it after finding instructions on the webpage but after directing the updater to where I saved the files My computer got the Blue screen crash. After restarting the network controller now appears in computer management under network controllers with a small yellow ! sign. It has this message in properties:

Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source. (Code 52)

I have tried automatic updating and get 'the best software is installed for this device'....

I will try re-installing it manually and report back with results...

Barney6262

Honorable
Oct 20, 2013
Tried manually re-installing. Get the same response 'Driver is up to date'. When i uninstalled and reinstalled (both manual and automatic) I still get the same message... Network adapter still has a ! next to it...

Barney6262

Honorable
Oct 20, 2013
Finally worked out a solution!
I was getting the error code 52. I uninstalled drivers (ticking delete driver software) then restarted. After rebooting I clicked update driver software, installed software manually and got a success message for about 2 seconds before my laptop blue screened. Restarted and wifi is finally functioning!

Thanks for the download link doc.