[SOLVED] Windows freezes when exiting games

rcheulishvil

Reputable
Jan 25, 2019
My specs:

i5 9400f
RX 580, 4gb
12 GB RAM, both kingston, both clocked at 2400, one 8 gb, one 4gb.
HDD toshiba 1000 gb
PSU: something with 500 watts
Motherboard: gigabyte H310M

So, I can play for hours and hours, 4-5 hours straight. everything is fine. no fps drops, no sound scatters, no nothing. Pc runs smoothly, no overheat.

As soon as I press "Quit game" on any modern game since maybe 2012 (from amazing spider man 2 all the way to the euro truck 2, nfs payback and ect.) whole PC freezes. Sound starts scattering or chattering like TTTRRRRRRRRZZZZZZ and emergency restart is the only option.

I googled hell out of this problem, tried everything that I came upon.

Clean install of drivers with DDU - done
Editing stuff in regedit - done (this didn't change anything at all)
Switching RAM's - done (still freezes)
Changing power modes from windows - done.
Changing games from fullscreen to borderless fullscreen - done.

No progress so far. Problem hasn't even changed.

I think something is wrong with windows, all tough I don't know what. If a PC can handle any modern game for hours, why should it be freezing when I want to exit?

So... help?

Solution
So I bought new PSU, 650 watts, not chinese... well it is chinese but its a quality PSU. But problem's still the same :/ exactly same. nothing changed.

Can you take a screenshot of the SMART tab of HD Sentinel, upload it somewhere and post a link here?

My main suggestion was to check the HDD because you said new one is OK and with old one you get freezes. I DID NOT tell you to replace your PSU with a unit which might be of questionable quality. I merely pointed out that having a low-quality PSU might be harmful to other components in the long run. If the HDD is faulty and if was not faulty from the get go, the PSU might

What make and model is the new one? Many PSUs have some figures for amperage on 3.3, 5 and 12 volts...

rcheulishvil

Reputable
Jan 25, 2019
I think my HDD is faulty.

Yesterday I took out old HDD from old PC and inserted into this one. Moved Euro Truck there and played for couple hours yesterday and today. When I quit everything was fine. no freezes no nothing.

Is it possible for HDD to be corrupted like that? Only reacting to video game exists? because other than that this HDD seems to have no problems. PC is running, I'm downloading and moving things etc.

rcheulishvil

Reputable
Jan 25, 2019
You can get HD Sentinel from here. Run and check SMART health status of the drive.

That "something with 500watts" and "Chinese lettering" might not be doing your components any favors.

no, HDD is not a problem, it did well for two days but still started hanging up when I press exit game. I downloaded HD Sentinel and it says my drive is in 100% Excellent condition.

Okay, I know power supply is chinese, but I've had that PSU for more than a year. :/ nothing changed. Something has to be wrong with windows.

rcheulishvil

Reputable
Jan 25, 2019
You can get HD Sentinel from here. Run and check SMART health status of the drive.

That "something with 500watts" and "Chinese lettering" might not be doing your components any favors.

So I bought new PSU, 650 watts, not chinese... well it is chinese but its a quality PSU. But problem's still the same :/ exactly same. nothing changed.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador

Can you take a screenshot of the SMART tab of HD Sentinel, upload it somewhere and post a link here?

My main suggestion was to check the HDD because you said new one is OK and with old one you get freezes. I DID NOT tell you to replace your PSU with a unit which might be of questionable quality. I merely pointed out that having a low-quality PSU might be harmful to other components in the long run. If the HDD is faulty and if was not faulty from the get go, the PSU might

What make and model is the new one? Many PSUs have some figures for amperage on 3.3, 5 and 12 volts rails but can not really deliver those in reality. Also if the old PSU was faulty it might have already damaged other parts.

For the record, I am NOT SAYING you should replace other components.

Is the motherboard BIOS up to date?

Have you had any BSODs?

Also do you have a security software or antivirus? One thing you can try is to ensure that the priority of the game process is highest, maybe other processes running in background that have priority over the game such as security applications and antivirus. Some of the latest ones have gaming modes so they become less intrusive. If there is not a gaming mode on the security try turning it OFF when gaming.

Go through device manager and for mice and pointing devices go to their properties and in power management there turn the "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power." OFF. Repeat for for all mice, monitors, keyboards, and every USB port in the device manager list.

You must open ALL the devices one at a time, as above, and turn off the power saver, for each device.

Another thing you can try is to eliminate as many unused, useless or UN-needed applications and turn off the screen savers.
Also go into the power profiles, set standby, hibernate and sleep to OFF. You can leave the monitor standby ON, I guess that'd be OK or try turning that OFF to test. Set the HDD standby to NEVER in advanced power settings. Set system performance to maximum not "silent/quiet mode."

Also it might sound contradicting the above but sometimes doing the opposite works in terms of power panagement. Putting the system in more moderate power settings as oppose to maximum performance sometimes solves these

Last edited:
Solution

rcheulishvil

Reputable
Jan 25, 2019

What make and model is the new one? Many PSUs have some figures for amperage on 3.3, 5 and 12 volts rails but can not really deliver those in reality. Also if the old PSU was faulty it might have already damaged other parts.

For the record, I am NOT SAYING you should replace other components.

Is the motherboard BIOS up to date?

Have you had any BSODs?

Also do you have a security software or antivirus? One thing you can try is to ensure that the priority of the game process is highest, maybe other processes running in background that have priority over the game such as security applications and antivirus. Some of the latest ones have gaming modes so they become less intrusive. If there is not a gaming mode on the security try turning it OFF when gaming.

Go through device manager and for mice and pointing devices go to their properties and in power management there turn the "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power." OFF. Repeat for for all mice, monitors, keyboards, and every USB port in the device manager list.

You must open ALL the devices one at a time, as above, and turn off the power saver, for each device.

Another thing you can try is to eliminate as many unused, useless or UN-needed applications and turn off the screen savers.
Also go into the power profiles, set standby, hibernate and sleep to OFF. You can leave the monitor standby ON, I guess that'd be OK or try turning that OFF to test. Set the HDD standby to NEVER in advanced power settings. Set system performance to maximum not "silent/quiet mode."

Also it might sound contradicting the above but sometimes doing the opposite works in terms of power panagement. Putting the system in more moderate power settings as oppose to maximum performance sometimes solves these

I had done all of that month ago.

Thanks for your input. I solved my problem. Freezing got worse today, windows would barely load and screen would freeze with the PC in couple of minutes. went to friend, took his old gpu and installed in my rig. everything works fine. my gpu is dead. that's it folks.

gonna get a new one.

TRENDING THREADS